The confusion needs to be cleared on FPGA updates and clones

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by spinner09, Jan 28, 2014.

1. spinner09
    OP

spinner09 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    On Gateway's website, it says that the new 2.0 firmware update requires an FPGA update to be able to work, due to the multirom patch.
    Also, there have been rumors that clones (r4i/3dslink/etc) can't update their FPGA because they have cut jtag pins (or something).

So, can any techno person put these rumors to bed and clear up the confusion; Does GW's 2.0 FW really require an update, or are they only doing it to freeze out clones? Are the clones unable to update their FPGA? If so, isn't there any hardware hack/trick to update it? (I remember reading a while back about an old r4 card that could be updated by cutting or soldering a certain pin). Can't you get multirom working without an FPGA update?

2. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I don't think there's any guarantee that 2.0 will require an FPGA update. But if it does, yeah, the clones are done. Which isn't such a bad thing for them, considering they can and most likely will start selling new hardware under new aliases. Means more money for them, and clone customers are none the wiser.

3. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    Can anyone confirm that the clone hardware cannot be updated?

4. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It's been confirmed several times. JTAG is required to update the FPGA, and the JTAG pins are not connected on the clone hardware.

Presentum and gamefan5 like this.
  5. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

Do we have proof from someone who's actually done research into this?

6. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Let me find the thread.

7. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

Thanks.

8. sudeki300

sudeki300 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2004
    it would be in gateways best interest to remove the brick code and include the FPGA update for multi-rom in the next release. then they deal with the clones without upsetting their customer base. two birds with one stone....................sudeki300

9. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Here it is: http://gbatemp.net/threads/gw-multirom-demo.360958/page-22#post-4896409

gamefan5 likes this.
  10. Yessy

Yessy Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2014
    New Zealand
  11. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States
    Do we have proof from a trusted source?

12. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    That's from the datasheet. You can verify it with your own eyes just by looking at pictures of the clones' hardware and the Gateway's hardware.

But again, there's no guarantee that Gateway is going to use an FPGA update for 2.0. They have yet to do anything with it. I'd prefer they did, as an easier means of blocking cloning (at least temporarily) so that they are free to remove the bricking code, but only time will tell.

13. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

But is it proven?

Don't take this as an "Against Gateway" talk, I just want to know 100% that this is the truth, and not just another rumor (Just as the original poster is asking). I'm all for the clone's doing their own work, and I have a Gateway to use if the clones end up being crap (I'll only use the newest firmware when the bricking code is gone though, so I might still have to wait).

14. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Until new clones come along. Which will probably be very soon.

15. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    The first guarantee is that they mentioned it on their own site. The second one is that the cart lacks of a file system and the algorithm to process the saving method of the card2 games.

If the datasheet says so, then it is proven. There are not workarounds if the specifications have this constraint.

Nonetheless, I must say that I haven't seen proof that the gamecard pins of the GW's flashcard are connected to the JTAG pins.

16. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    It's proven that the FPGA can't be reprogrammed without the JTAG interface, and it's proven that the JTAG pins are not connected on the clones, so that's the best we're going to get. People just have to put two and two together for themselves.

IronClouds likes this.
  17. ELok

ELok GBAtemp Regular

Mar 18, 2010
    Canada
    What? The cloner doesn't have access to the JTAG? :S

I'm sure there's a reason behind it, connecting the JTAG is the basic of the basic...

18. sudeki300

sudeki300 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2004
    i know that the clone companies will eventually make a new card, but at least if the FPGA update can be used by gateway it throws a spanner in the works for now. in the meantime team gateway can find a proper way of protecting their product, one that will force the clones to write their own firmware and make the current versions of clone cards redundant.................................sudeki300

19. Xzi

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The reason is that it probably saved them a few cents on manufacturing each unit.

20. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    No one "official" confirmed that. Everyone says that they can't be updated but there are also persons saying the opposite.

Huntereb likes this.