The concept of "Hardcore Gaming"

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Ritsuki, Jun 9, 2010.

Jun 9, 2010
  1. Ritsuki
    OP

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    It seems that I didn't understand what's a "hardcore game". I thought it was a game with some challenge, a really hard game (like Demon's Souls)... But for some people, it's just violent games... So, if someone could explain to me what's really a hardcore game, that would be nice. Thanks [​IMG]

2. deka01

Member deka01 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    hardcore gaming and a hardcore game are to different things i then there are hardcore games cause of the violence then there are hardcore games that are difficalt to get very good at and are played in comps eg. starcraft css and the such

3. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    There are many ways to separate games into hardcore or casual: the content, the amount of rules and combinations, the depth, the learning curve; however, none of them matter because when people say "hardcore/casual", they only do it for one reason.

The way most people use the term, it's "realistic" brownish-tinted HD graphics and violence. Meant to set it apart from the "cutesy" games; those are dubbed "casual". The term itself is usually forced by angsty pubescent assholes (of all ages, mind you) and various fanboys, to separate them from the rest of the world because the rest of the world is stupid and lame. The rest of the world consisting of the stupid senile adults that don't understand them, and the horribly immature kids and their kiddie stuff that the "cool" kids completely and utterly outgrew last Tuesday.

So yeah. "hardcore" is a term used by insecure immature little pricks trying desperately to prove to the world (that they totally don't care about, like, at all. Like, whatever, man) that they're all grown up.

[​IMG]

4. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    It's pretty much impossible to define it. For some people, it's quick games that require a lot of skill like Quake 3 or Starcraft. For some people, it's the retro games or indie games.

For me, a game is casual when you can just pick it up and play it anytime, preferably with a few friends. The learning curve shouldn't be too high, but the replay value should be really good. Guitar Hero is a great example of that, though some people would call that hardcore as well.

5. Seicomart

Member Seicomart GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    For me, for who whom gaming started at Pong, Hardcore has always applied to games you just have to dedicate real time and effort to master.

For example I wouldn't classify GTA4 hardcore, as despite the great open nature of the game you dont have to do much to be good at it per se.

QuakeOnline I'd rate as hardcore not due to the [tamed down] violence, but because of the steep learning curve the need to learn the maps and tricks plus the psychologican nature of learning how people play and how to counter them.

I'd equally call something like Galaga88, King of fighters series, or Volfied, or Kirby pinball hardcore due to the sheer amount of patterns to learn and the dedication needed to succeed and have fun with them.

As for gamers, who cares games are about fun, not status!

6. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    I was going to make a post, but you said it all for me.

What is considered "hardcore" these days was considered utter tripe a few years ago - 3rd party crap, movie/sport/music/tv tie-ins, anything with ultra-violence. The stuff 13yr old boys (and manboys) enjoy Usually totally lacking in content.

7. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    imo, hardcore gaming is devoting considerable daily hours to games that noticeably cause you to alter your lifestyle and behavior as if they're a centrifugal force, typically that puts MMOs and online multiplayer shooters at the forefront.

8. Veho

Croatia
    Problem is, no matter how you define "hardcore", there are some hardcore games that defy the definition, and some casual games that fit the definition.

9. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States

10. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    a former client of mine took chess extremely seriously...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

11. Ritsuki
    OP

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    Chess is serious business. Hardcorest game ever.

12. Veho

Croatia
    We're talking about hardcore games.

13. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Don't HardCore gamer's play HardCore games?

Well, each person has their own opinion. I mean I know people who say Cooking Mama is HardCore, but it doesn't mean it is to another person.

14. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Ladies and Gentlemen! it's time for another round of questions and answers of Juanmatron! With the questions of little TIMMY!!!!

Timmy: Dude, are there any hardcore or casual game consoles?
    Answer: That is an argument that Microsoft and Sony invented to discredit Nintendo consoles because the new users have an average age of 30 years, so the children could not brand them as in previous generations.

Timmy: A console can be childish?
    Answer: There is no such thing, there is no game console that has the manufacturer that stipulates that only children under 10 can use.

"DS has a wider audience PS2 child?
    Answer: If you look at the charts in the two games on PS2 consoles only get games for women and girls, apart from one another for sport, whereas in DS lists almost every rpg and adventure games are also one another for girls and boys.

What makes Best's catalog a console?
    Answer: Tthe quality of the games, and DS is the console with the greatest amount of RPG that ever existed, and that influences a lot because the RPG is the genre of game that has the best music, longer and more elaborate plots , besides that great games like Brothers in Arms, Ninja Gaiden, Call of Duty 4 and 5 and others just came to DS. And the amount of the games also matters, and also DS is the console that has had more games in history. And I almost forgot to say that the support of the manufacturing company is very important, and support for Nintendo has been much higher.

Why DS sells as many games as compared to the competition?
    Answer: Because a lot of DS is limited to games, unless DSI versions and other versions DSIXL only serve as a console game, and that's what motivates players to buy games, however others are sometimes used laptops only as a media player, and this also happens with some hardware players, such as PS2 and PS3.

What is the best of all consoles?
    Answer: Believe it or not there is no such thing, the consoles are good according to the tastes of the players and the catalog of games, is a concept very difficult to establish because the answer would see one player to another.

Why DS sells so much?
    Answer: because there are many more games than other consoles which hundreds are exclusive, gameplay is novel due to the two screens and touch capabilities coupled with the microphone and it helps just to certain games as the genre are now Edutamient a genre quite entertaining, being once to negligible.

Well little timmy, that's enough for now, Until the next time we have a new edition of the show.

15. Veho

Croatia
    Nope. That's the thing. Any game can have casual and hardcore players. Just look at poker. You can play it with Uno cards for Pringles with your ten-year-old cousin after reading the rules off the back of a cereal box, or you can play it with several thousand dollars' worth of equipment on a $10000 dollar table for million dollar stakes after years of preparation, practice and reading up on tips, tricks and advice from a million sources. Casual to hardcore within a same game. The difference is dedication.

Now as for whether a game can be considered "hardcore" on its own, well... no. It's much harder to define or identify the "hardcoreness", since it's many things to many people. I would call a game hardcore if it takes a lot of skill, effort and dedication to finish. But some people won't admit it's hardcore unless it has buckets of blood. Funny old world.

16. gameboy13

Member gameboy13 Orange and fluffy since 1995.

United States
    LOL. I really do have to agree with you on that point.