the Castlevania secrets and your 100% completion ego

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Priss, Nov 18, 2008.

?

Do you have the 100% completion Ego?

1. Yes~

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No~

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Don't care either way!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Nov 18, 2008
  1. Priss
    OP

Member Priss GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Aren't you one of those guys who gets satisfaction from completing a game with 100%?
    Then Castlevania is NOT for YOU... lol

I liked it better in the older Castlevania where they didn't give you a % rank.
    Now you feel forced to look for everything and it's just not possible...
    All the hidden walls you can't even tell apart from each other... because their is
    no indication that the wall is breakable... If you break it... it's usually shear luck
    that you've discovered it! [​IMG]

Not only that but now they added riddles... RIDDLES [​IMG]
    You literally have to GUESS what to do at certain points. I for one like the riddles
    in the end story lines/alternate endings.
    But I'm talking about the ones you have to GUESS to get a secret. Like knocking
    Bells in DoS or the slot numbers which I didn't figure out until I completed one of
    the quests in PoR that actually told you what to do... and it clicked in. Seriously...
    Playing a second game to figure out what to do in the previous one? [​IMG]
    Note that these are little examples of even harder ones to discover.

So all in all, as much as I love the Castlevania series for DS, they are mad aggravating
    when it comes to wanting to complete with 100%. Using FAQS guides do not count FYI.

What say you? [​IMG]

2. Priss
    OP

Canada
    failed thread [​IMG]

/dies

3. OmerMe

Member OmerMe GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    I LOVE what they did with Castlevania, they secret and stuff.
    And I'm not one of those people that get 100% all the time, I only get like 80-90%

4. DAZA

Member DAZA Shaun's Mum

United Kingdom
    Haha castlevania is very hit and miss with the riddles and completion, i mean the new one OOE with the glyphs it doesnt tell you what you use some special ones for "IE one for walking through walls" nothing is ever straight forward but i like them none the less, keeps you on your toes..... and looking through FAQ guides to see where you went wrong, make one wrong move and you get the wrong ending!

5. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia

6. Dark

Member Dark GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yea I hate that. I had 66% on castlevania DOS and it made me feel like a failure for not getting 100% [​IMG]

7. dipper145

Member dipper145 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I dont know why the hell anyone would waste so much of their time for 100% completion, especially when the person purposely ruins the whole experiance by probably following some sort of guide (games aren't hard enough for guides, or your just bad.) Why would they waste the time? Especially when there are so many other games to play when you have a flashcard.

It makes no sense at all.

Even without a guide, going for 100% when you have so many games to play makes no sense, at all. I could see doing it if you acually purchased the game.

8. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    It actually makes sense mind you....

No matter what form it takes, it's a game, going for 100% is just natural.....

9. Zarcon

Former Staff Zarcon .:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.

Canada
    I'm one of those completionists and collectors. If it's a game I like I want to do EVERYTHING I can with it and get EVERYTHING I can possibly get.
    If the game includes a % completed number it just makes it easier for me to keep track.

Sure there might be a lot of games out there...but there are long periods with no good games and certain good games might not appeal to you either.
    Also, some games are dreadfully short if all you do is beat it. Metal Slug 7 is only a few hours play to beat, but if you try and master the Training School the game lasts so much longer.

10. Arch Feline

Member Arch Feline GBAtemp Regular

United States
    For breakable walls you are supposed to bump against all walls. ... ... OK, I admit I am a klutz. However, there is an enemy name Peeping Eye. Wonder what it drops?

Riddles. I am not that good at them

11. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I love it. [​IMG] I don't bother with the boss rush modes or going round a second time, but completing the map once is pretty fun. Even if you need a guide to point you in the right direction to do some of the extra bits. Then again I'm used to Final Fantasy doing it so it's not so strange to me.

Albeit somewhat frustrating sometimes... I'm on 99.7% in the main castle map on POR and I have absolutely no clue what I've missed! (Edit: scrub that, this thread made me boot it up and have another look and I've just sussed it out. Of all the things to miss, why a damn save room?! [​IMG] )

And yes I did buy the game, but that doesn't make a difference really. There are other games on my shelf, but when you really like one I see nothing wrong with squeezing as much playtime out of it as it has to offer. While it's still fun.

12. Priss
    OP

Canada
    someone who speaks sense...
    +1

I've tossed PoR aside for now...
    I'm prepping my Knight for PvP combats in Puzzle Quest. Game is retardedly addictive.
    More so than EBA and Ouendan... [​IMG]

13. DAZA

Member DAZA Shaun's Mum

United Kingdom
    Well i am now 83%+ through it and i need to do 2 other levels which popped up after i exited draculas castle, after i done those i would say im nearing 99% then i can let it go and wait for the next installment

14. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I generally don't worry about 100%. If I see the credits roll, I'm done.

15. SkankyYankee

Member SkankyYankee GBAtemp Advanced Skank

United States
    The only 100% I'm proud of and was actually required skill instead of hours was sm64.

Frankly the excess time I used to use for that goes to other more worthwhile things. Friends, GF, Work, Real Life, ect.

you can never 100% real life [​IMG]

16. Daxionan

Daxionan Newbie

100% on each here [​IMG]

I'm a completionist :]

17. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    I have more than 200% in harmony of dissonance. (i think 200 was max) there's a few bugged things which I really haven't explored but are red on the map. So I have like 201.8%. That's pretty cool [​IMG]
    But yeah, I really like to try for 100% but there are times I don't want to.

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy games in particular are GAY.. I mean what the F is up with having to leave chests so you can open them later. Or you have to speak with those people in a certain order or else you don't get best item in the game. Etc Etc. Now that's just lame IMO.
    And games where there's multiple endings.. Sure it's perfectly okay in Castlevania games, because then you know what to do to get the multiple endings, but Chrono Trigger.. No sire, then you haven't got a clue what you have to do to get the multiple endings. UNLESS you read the cheatsz0r walkthrough2k.

Anyways, I'm kind a completionist, but still not. I don't feel like playing Bionic Commando more after playing through it on normal. Even tho it was a damn good game.

I think I just lack that enthusiasm towards everything I used to have when I was younger. I love OOE, and I'm at the last boss, but the few times I've tried I haven't succeeded in beating the boss.. Which I think is great, games need more difficulty. [​IMG] I loved whole difficulty level of OOE. Soon someday I'll boot up the game and finish it.. Until then, I'll be playing Chrono Trigger and World of Boredom

18. DAZA

Member DAZA Shaun's Mum

United Kingdom
    Yay just hit 98.60%, just cleared training hall and large cavern, now just need to kick draculas ass, which isnt proving easy then i think ill hit 100%!

19. Llamawish

Newcomer Llamawish Member

Australia
    I 100% completed Dawn of Sorrow but i havent for any of the others.

20. Priss
    OP

Canada
    You should be shot for digging up 1 1/2 year old posts... specially one of mine.
    That aside it's always nice to see Castlevania hardcore fans.
    Now go play Order of E.
    and Portrait Runes or w/e.