The black screen topic

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Lastweek, Jan 14, 2011.

Jan 14, 2011

The black screen topic by Lastweek at 6:34 AM (1,003 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Lastweek
    OP

Newcomer Lastweek Newbie

United States
    Hey everyone!
    I loved modmii application btw. It worked great and I had my Wii hacked and ready to go in no time. But heres my question. I can play certain games awhile and not have any problems, for instance Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. I do in fact have a hard time playing games like Donkey Kong, Mario Kart Wii, and others. I am using 4.3 modded Wii with an external drive formatted in NTFS only. I use wiimanager to transfer all my games to the harddrive. Some games are scrubbed and others are not. Any ideas?

2. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

you can update ios with help modmii

edit . english ........

3. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    What he said

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Erm...guys? He's playing his games from USB drive. Updating your IOS'es is very nice and all, but in this case, it would be like tuning up the engine of a car with a flat tire.
    (or can modmii download cIOS'es as well?)

@topic starter: wii manager...do you mean wii backup manager? If so, that's a good manager (I use it all the time). The fact that some games are scrubbed and others are not shouldn't be a problem. What may, however, be a problem, is the loader you're using, and more importantly: what c
    IOS you tell each game to use (official IOS'es don't support loading from usb. Custom IOS'es, on the other hand, generally do).
    As for the loader: either usb loader CFG or wiiflow should work fine (GX got overhauled recently, so it might work as well...dunno from first hand, though).

As for the cIOS: you're going to need more than one, as there is no one cIOS that loads everything (though a couple come close). Waninkoko's rev21 and Hermes v5.1 are recommended...it may even be a good idea to install them both. Hermes installs to slots 222, 223 and 224, while it's best practice to install Waninkoko's rev21 to slots 245 through 249. Hermes is best installed with the default values, while Waninkoko's values depend on the base IOS used. Here is a guideline, but it's not required to follow it:
    -in slot 246, choose base IOS 56
    -in slot 247, choose base IOS 57
    -in slot 248, choose base IOS 58
    -in slot 249, choose base IOS 38

After installing all that, it's just a matter of matching the right game with the right cIOS. Pretty much all games run fine on 222 or rev21 base IOS 56 (or cIOS246 if you use the guideline mentioned above), so try your games with those settings first. If they black screen or freeze up, try another one. If your loader and cIOS'es are up to date, chances of not being able to run a game at all are very low. [​IMG]

5. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    When you say a hard time you mean what exactly? They black screen at boot or they start and play a bit and randomly have errors.
    If the second option then it'll be your hard drive.

6. Lastweek
    OP

Newcomer Lastweek Newbie

United States
    They play for awhile and then go black, and by awhile I mean 10-20 mins.

7. Lastweek
    OP

Newcomer Lastweek Newbie

United States
    So I do think that the spin down is part of the problem. How do I exactly turn the spin down off? I have a Lacie external enclosure holding a 120 gb SATA WD HDD. Any ideas on how to manually shut the spin down off?