ROM Hack The Binding of Undertale - 3DS Port (BoI Rebirth mod)

sickneckbeardbro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
cebFMJq.png

This is a port of the popular Binding of Isaac Rebirth mod The Binding of Undertale! All credits go to the original author, I simply changed somethings to make it work on N3DS and selfishly slapped my amazing username on the title screen.

If you have any issues or requests for other Binding of Isaac mods, please let me know!

SCREENSHOTS
ZAvsjXF.png
EU6MbWY.png
EtufkJb.png

DOWNLOAD

INSTALLATION
CIA Recompile (Recommended)
- Download and install PackHack (https://github.com/Asia81/HackingToolkit3DS/releases)
- Take your decrypted Binding of Isaac Rebirth CIA and put it in the same folder as PackHack
- Launch 'HackingToolkit3DS' and extract the contents of the CIA (ce for CIA extract, you don't need to decompress the code.bin)
- You should now have 'ExtractedRomFS' folder and a bunch of other files
- Extract the 'resources' folder from 'luma/titles/titleID/romfs/' within the zip and place it in 'ExtractedRomFS' (Overwrite everything)
- Launch 'HackingToolkit3DS' and enter 'cr' to recompile the CIA, choose the name, enter '3' for minor version and '0' for micro version (if you don't enter the version, it will always ask you to update and fail)

Recompiling as a CIA actually saves 58MB as it replaces some of the original music

Luma LayeredFS (Has performance issues)
- Extract 'luma' folder to the root of your microSD
- Hold 'Select' while powering on your N3DS
- Ensure 'Game Patching' is enabled in Luma's configuration
- To remove, delete '000400000f700800' for US and '000400000f700900' for EU from 'microSD:/luma/titles'

CHANGES
rev.1
- Fixed the white floors when recompiled as a .cia (I think)
- Included changes.txt and readme.txt
- Reduced music to 64kbps saving over 20 MB
- Removed .xml files from /romfs which were included by mistake
- Fixed formatting of players.xml to make it easier to read
- Overall filesize reduced from 65.9 MB on disk / 57.7 MB zipped to 43.2 MB on disk / 35.3 MB zipped

EXTRA INFO
I've obviously made some progress with Binding of Isaac Rebirth mods on the 3DS and have managed to get The Binding of Undertale to work. There are still some obvious slowdowns due to loading, although I do feel there could be an issue with Luma's LayeredFS and this game as it works fine if you recompile the mods into a CIA. I guess I'll open an issue over there and hopefully they can find something.

It seems there are 53 3DS specific files and even more contained in animations.b. As you can see, the majority of them are graphics, but there are a couple of xml. Those xml and others which have the same name across all versions require editing to work on the 3DS version. I haven't properly documented any of this, but it's pretty easy to figure out simply by comparing against what you find within BoI Rebirth's ROMFS. I haven't tried anything that changes .anim from animation.b yet, they're essentially .xml files and may need editing as well, but we'll find out later.

In my research, I found I'm certainly not the first person to try or successfully do this. The 3DS specific contents of animation.b have been extracted and documented thanks to /u/jerbear64 and /u/dedChar had also ported, The Agony of Isaac. They had reported that upon adding additional things into the game, it appeared to run out of memory and enemies would be invisible. I haven't fully play tested The Binding of Undertale, but in my short runs I haven't experienced this.

So anyway, that's all the babbling I have for now. Enjoy!

Last edited by sickneckbeardbro,

sickneckbeardbro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i get a glitch where the floors are just white! but once i get into the store room it turns back to normal

Normal as in purple like the screenshots or the original floor? Was it a new run, on the first or a later level? I haven't heard or seen this myself and just redownloaded the .zip and tested and it worked fine for me.

But he says: I simply changed somethings to make it work on 3DS. just forgive my stupid question xD

My apologies, the game does still require the proper 3DS which is the N3DS. I've fixed the wording so no one else is confused!

Reactions: Themonkeyking

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's great, but seems to introduce a lot of lag/slowdown whenever you kill an enemy or transition from one room to another. Is this just a symptom of being patched on the fly?
Also wanted to mention (although it should be pretty obvious) that I needed to change the title id of the folder to work with the EUR version - fourteenth digit changes from an '8' to a '9'.

Last edited by duwen,

sickneckbeardbro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's great, but seems to introduce a lot of lag/slowdown whenever you kill an enemy or transition from one room to another. Is this just a symptom of being patched on the fly?
Also wanted to mention (although it should be pretty obvious) that I needed to change the title id of the folder to work with the EUR version - fourteenth digit changes from an '8' to a '9'.

My apologies. I gapped on the EUR version and will fix that in the first revision.

Yes. Jeez... the fire! I walked into a room that had 10 of those little bonfires and 4 enemies on fire and the game dropped to about 3 frames a second!

The lag and slowdowns are due to LayeredFS. If you recompile as a CIA, it alleviates the majority of lag. I have to do a better write up for the main post and will surely mention this.

Reactions: duwen

grimandrey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normal as in purple like the screenshots or the original floor? Was it a new run, on the first or a later level? I haven't heard or seen this myself and just redownloaded the .zip and tested and it worked fine for me.

I get stock wood floors not the purple you have on the screenshot. New run, first level! got into a shop fixed it. after i restarted the game it had the completely white floors again. I did edit the title id.

sickneckbeardbro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I get stock wood floors not the purple you have on the screenshot. New run, first level! got into a shop fixed it. after i restarted the game it had the completely white floors again. I did edit the title id.

You're using a recompiled CIA? I was able to replicate the white floors and I think I've resolved it.

Reactions: Oschara
D

Deleted User

Oh shit this is awesome--- undertale

You win some you lose some, I don't even have a N3DS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🛌