Homebrew The best Wii homebrew applications 2017

ShadowtearX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Last Edit: 2017.06.01
~The best Nintendo Wii homebrew applications 2017~

I've made this thread because I've recently gotten into Nintendo Wii hacking.
When hacking/modifying my Wii system, I've noticed that a lot of threads or users online still hold onto "old methods" with sometimes "unclear information" while there are better and improved applications available.

Therefor after hours of searching and testing for better applications available, I've decided to create this "once and for all" topic that will give u the most recommended and best applications for your Nintendo Wii system, so that "you" do not have to dig for this information yourself.

Please note that the applications listed below are meant for the Nintendo Wii™ and can cause issues or even bricking on Nintendo Wii U™ systems, if you wish to use these on your Nintendo Wii U™ system, please read up on online concerning the safety of these programs.
I'm not responsible for any damage done to any of your devices concerning the applications listed below.

Best USB Loaders

USB Loader GX
This loader most resembles the official Nintendo Wii System Menu, and has a wide support of application loading trough it.
• Currently the most up-to-date loader available
icon11.gif
Main Page
download.gif
Download

WiiFlow
Designed to be dynamic and animated, next to USB Loader GX a widely used USB Loader.
• In-build support for loading games from SD card

Configurable USB Loader
Not too familiar with this one, but it seems to be able to force games in 480p and has faster ROM dumping.
• In-build support for loading games from SD card

USB Loaders worth mentioning:
tba

Best Nintendo Related Emulators

RetroArch v1.5.0
RetroArch is a frontend for emulators, game engines and media players. It enables you to run classic games on a wide range of computers and consoles through its slick graphical interface.
This emulator comes with allot of Nintendo emulators cores such as "NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA" and is seen as the best emulator application in doing so.
• Settings are unified so configuration is done once and for all emulators.

Nintendont
Nintendont is a Wii mode homebrew to play GameCube games on Wii and WiiU vWii.
This allows the usage of loading GameCube ISO files from SD/USB and playing them on full speed with 99.9% support of games.
• Technically a loader, not an emulator

List of per-console recommended emulators:
Nintendo
icon11.gif
RetroArch - (makes use of the "Nestopia" core)

Super Nintendo
icon11.gif
RetroArch - (makes use of the "Snes9x Next" core)
icon11.gif
Snes9gx

Nintendo 64
icon11.gif
wii64 beta 1.2 - (Despite this being the best N64 emulator, it has issues running many games, but some seem to work good.)

Nintendo GameCube
icon11.gif
Nintendont - (technically a bridge, not a emulator)

Virtual Boy

Game Boy Color
icon11.gif
RetroArch - (makes use of the "Gambatte" core)

Game Boy Advance
icon11.gif
RetroArch - (makes use of the "mGBA" core)
icon11.gif
mGBA
icon11.gif
Visual Boy Advance GX

Nintendo DS
icon11.gif
DeSmuME Wii (unofficial r253) - (Besides being the only NDS emulator, most games cannot run at full speed and are buggy)

One emulator in particular that comes by a lot is RetroArch, this is because it exceeds on a lot of fronts then emulators such as snes9x and VBAGX.
This Emulator in particular is Recommended to be used mainly since it allows you to not install any other emulator.

Best Non-Nintendo Related Emulators

Genesis Plus GX
Genesis Plus GX is an open-source Sega 8/16 bit emulator focused on accuracy and portability.
This emulator has in-build cores for the following Sega systems: "Genesis / Mega Drive, Sega/Mega CD, Master System, Game Gear & SG-1000"
• The complete Genesis Plus GX core is also available in RetroArch if perferred to use.

RetroArch v1.5.0
RetroArch is a frontend for emulators, game engines and media players. It enables you to run classic games on a wide range of computers and consoles through its slick graphical interface.
This emulator comes with allot of Sega & Atari emulators cores such and is seen as the best emulator application in doing so.
• Settings are unified so configuration is done once and for all emulators.

List of other emulators:
Sony Playstation 1
icon11.gif
WiiSXR - (Runs a decent amount of 50% games as playable, but still comes with issues)

Sega (Genesis / Mega Drive, Sega/Mega CD, Master System, Game Gear & SG-1000)
icon11.gif
Genesis Plus GX
icon11.gif
RetroArch - (makes use of the "Genesis Plus GX" core)

Atari 2600
icon11.gif
RetroArch - (makes use of the "Stella" core)

Atari 5200
tba...

Atari 7800
tba...

Atari XEGS
tba...

Atari Lynx (Handheld)
icon11.gif
WiiMednafen
icon11.gif
WiiHandy

Atari Jaguar
tba...

TurboGrafx-16 (PC Engine)
icon11.gif
WiiMednafen
icon11.gif
RetroArch - (makes use of the "WiiMednafen" core)

ColecoVision
icon11.gif
WiiColEm

tba...
Hatari (atari)
Wiixl (atari800)

More emulators can be found on: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_homebrew_emulators

Useful Utilities / Applications

SysCheck HacksDen Edition
A tool that does several checks on your system on checks and errors.
This might be handy in case you ever need a report when there are issues with your system.

WiiMC+
This is an open source all-in-one media player that allows to play and show audio, video, images and text.
This is an modified version of the official WiiMC, with a lot more features and better control implementations.
• Has the ability to read CD/DVD's, only recommended when using an external reader as the Wii system isn't build to constantly read disc.

WiiXplorer
A file explorer for the Wii with a GUI, allows you to read, modify, copy, paste and edit files.
It also has an builtin FTP client to transfer files from your computer to your Wii.
• If you happen to have issues with the FTP client, you can try the alternative application: ftpii

SaveGame Manager GX
SaveGame Manager GX allows you to extract/install SaveGames and Miis from/to your Wii.

WiiLauncher
An application that is able to download and activate Cheat Codes for physical discs inserted in your Wii.

Homebrew Games

Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii
Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii is a unofficial sequal mod to New Super Mario Bros. Wii adding a whole new campaign of 128 new levels and more.

CTGP Revolution
CTGP Revolution is a mod to Mario Kart Wii adding over 200 new tracks to the game, as well as loads of extra features.

Super Mario War Wii
Super Mario War Wii is a port of Super Mario War which is a simple fighting game that feels like a toned down Super Smash Bros, great fun with friends local play.

Wii-DOOM / Wii-HERETIC / Wii-HEXEN / Wii-STRIFE (2014 reports)
Ports of classic games based on the DOOM engine.
• Please note you require a "Classic Controller" to play these games and the original game files.

System Tools (USE WITH CAUTION!)

BootMii
Backup the NAND of your Wii (creating practically an unbrickable Wii)
If in any case you ever brick your Wii, you will be able to write back the NAND and restore it to the state it was in when you made it.
• If installing BootMii, it is recommended to choose Boot2 if possible over IOS for more safety

Priiloader
Priiloader is a application which places itself before the System Menu. Its main feature is removing system limitations such as "CD region protection" and disabling features as updates.
It is also able to directly boot to The Homebrew Channel whenever the Wii is turned on. Priiloader is also able to apply memory patches to the system menu to remove limitations or other things.
• It is highly recommended to read up on this program and only touch what is needed if you are not sure what you are doing

WiiModLite
Based and improved on WiiMod, it allows you to install .WAD files to install forwarders and apply IOS changes etc.
This program also includes a tile deleter that removes junk data left behind by removed forwarders. (recommended over AnyTitle Deleter)
• It is highly recommended to read up on this program and only touch what is needed if you are not sure what you are doing

RiiConnect24
RiiConnect24 allows the discontinued WiiConnect24 service to be used again, which kept your Wii connected to the Internet in Standby mode 24/7.
It modifies system files of applications using WiiConnect24 and changing their connection type to another server which allows it to be functional.

Please note that these System Tools are meant for the Nintendo Wii, and can cause bricking on Nintendo Wii U systems.
If wanted to use these tools on a Nintendo Wii U system, please read up on the application pages.

PC Utilities

CustomizeMii
A program to be able to Create your own Channel Forwarder.
Besides creating, its also able to modify channels, such as channels found online that you want redirect to wanted folder locations.

wit: Wiimms ISO Tool
An CMD tool that allows you to convert game ISO's and other Wii backup methods to .WBFS which is needed to be read on a Wii.
This program has better and cleaner results then other programs.
• Allows the removal of individual partitions from ISO files such as the "Update" partition (200MB).
• Preferred over the other program "Wii Backup Manager", but requires a learning curve.

Wii Backup Manager
An GUI tool Allows you to convert game ISO's and other Wii backup methods to .WBFS which is needed to be read on a Wii.
• Options are somewhat hidden, but overall easy to use and easier for the general people opposed to "wit".

ModMii
This is a program that is able to download all the files necessary to Modify, Upgrade & Downgrade your Wii System Menu.
It can generate custom guides based on your Wii's specifications, and save the files to your SD Card in their appropriate locations for easy offline soft-modding.

A few level editors:
Reggie! Level Editor
An easy-to-use level editor for "New Super Mario Bros. Wii", start using it and make your own wonderful levels with ease.

Whitehole
An level editor for "Super Mari Galaxy 1 & 2", start using it and make your own wonderful levels with ease.

Final Word

I hope that this thread will help those who want definite information on applications and tools that are in current state "Best to Use" or most recommended.

If you wish to seek more homebrew for your Nintendo Wii system, you can find more on this website:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_all_homebrew
- Please note that this site is not fully updated, thus does not have everything available

If you have any suggestion on recommended applications, please share by posting below so we can improve on this thread.

With this thread, let us keep the Nintendo Wii alive with the best features it can possibly have.

Last edited by ShadowtearX,

olimar718

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you very much, this is actually quite useful. I already knew most of what you list here but I learned about wiixplorer and syscheck :)

ShadowtearX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you very much, this is actually quite useful. I already knew most of what you list here but I learned about wiixplorer and syscheck :)

You are very welcome and yes, WiiXplorer is a very nice program to have in your wii as it allows you easy managing of files and folders, Which is a nice extra improvement to have in your wii :)
As for Syscheck, could always be handy, incase u ever wish to check on what IOS's u installed or see if you have the latest versions of things, noticed this one isnt really mentiond anywhere, yet it improves on the other 2 that do.
I'll be adding a few more later on that might bring these easy to use functions, glad it was of help.

What about PC tools? Crap v3.3b, Reggie Level Editor, etc.

I've added Reggie! Level Editor, i havent heard yet about Crap (only have a wii since 4 days ;p ), ill take a look at what it is and does and add it to the thread, thank you.

EDIT: seems like Crap is similair to CostumizeMII, would you say its better? ill test it out myself later on.

Reactions: Zero72463

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are very welcome and yes, WiiXplorer is a very nice program to have in your wii as it allows you easy managing of files and folders, Which is a nice extra improvement to have in your wii :)
As for Syscheck, could always be handy, incase u ever wish to check on what IOS's u installed or see if you have the latest versions of things, noticed this one isnt really mentiond anywhere, yet it improves on the other 2 that do.
I'll be adding a few more later on that might bring these easy to use functions, glad it was of help.

I've added Reggie! Level Editor, i havent heard yet about Crap (only have a wii since 4 days ;p ), ill take a look at what it is and does and add it to the thread, thank you.

EDIT: seems like Crap is similair to CostumizeMII, would you say its better? ill test it out myself later on.

I couldn't say. Never used CostumizeMII. There is another program called Whitehole that allows you to make your own Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 levels. ;)
These level editors themselves could have sections of there own.

Last edited by Zero72463,

grendyzer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I can add the small consoles retro:
Wiicolem (colecovision,
Bluemsx (msx)
Wiimednafen (turbograph x, pc engine, pc fx, and others)
Hatari (atari)
Uae wii (amiga)
Wiituka (amstrad)
Wiixl (atari800)
There are still a few,
I like his emulator, there are classics that are appreciable to hear again, and to play.
371039-brick_my_wii2.png

Last edited by grendyzer,

ShadowtearX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thx for the recommendations, i added some emulators to the list.
Would like to have more information on Atari console i'm still missing what others would recommend for,
Other then that, im still trying to find weither StellaWii or Wii2600 is better, and if they even hold up to RetroArch.

ShadowtearX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Topic has been updated with different versions for certain applications such as WiiMC that have better features, besides that I've also removed some plugins such as AnyTile Deleter as wiimod lite has one inbuilt which is better.
Next to that new applications have been added and some basic information have been changed/added.

If anyone has more recommendations or thought on improvement, please let me know.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Wow, this should be stickied.

Thanks for mentioning Wii Mod Lite and RiiConnect24.

:)

A recommendation I have though is to remove ftpii from the list because WiiXplorer has a FTP server and client.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
whoa nice!
you need to add that new modding tool kinda like modmii, but more new and updated.. (i forgot the name)
improve and i will also vote to be stickied...
also, usb cfg loader is great and wiiflow is as well, but last time i checked (earlier in this year) usb loader gx was still being updated...
i think you should mention projects still being worked on today, (or last update) since the wii scene is pretty much over..
i also recommend download links and mirror as possible (need permition from the authors) so in case their websites are taken down (for example wii backup manager) due to age.. we can keep them forever..

ShadowtearX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, this should be stickied.

Thanks for mentioning Wii Mod Lite and RiiConnect24.

:)

A recommendation I have though is to remove ftpii from the list because WiiXplorer has a FTP server and client.

I know, i myself perfer WiiXplorer's ftp settings as its more configurable and ofc it having its own file manager.
The only reason i have ftpii in there is because even though i wish to only note (saying in my own words "best") is because i read online people having issues with WiiXplorer at times being slower or just doesnt work for them, where ftpii seems to do, and visa-versa.
But i think ill take your advice and modify it later as such to have ftpii named under wiiXplorer as alternative if needed.

whoa nice!
you need to add that new modding tool kinda like modmii, but more new and updated.. (i forgot the name)
improve and i will also vote to be stickied...
also, usb cfg loader is great and wiiflow is as well, but last time i checked (earlier in this year) usb loader gx was still being updated...
i think you should mention projects still being worked on today, (or last update) since the wii scene is pretty much over..
i also recommend download links and mirror as possible (need permition from the authors) so in case their websites are taken down (for example wii backup manager) due to age.. we can keep them forever..

I've been using modmii before to download fresh cIOS's of 249 and 250, if there is another one, i havent heard of it but id like to knw about it.
As for your mention of updated over older but good programs, i might make a note about it aswell somewhere.
And yea, i recall the days when i've been massively into thee DS emulation scene, looking at things back i've maintained years ago, and seeing them die and starting to go into obscurity, is quite saddening... ill be looking into making mirrors, so far i try to always link to the topic where needed, and for tools that can harm your device, to link them to wiibrew so people can read up on information beforehand.

Ill be working on modifying some links on the topic above later on, adding a link specificly for detail and for download, and for more detailed information including it being more pleasing to the eye overal.

ShadowtearX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thread has been modified with a different structure for recommended applications and expended their description.
Hidden away some emulators in "SPOILERS" and only focused on the main top emulators to be used overall.
Also hidden away level editors in a spoiler, as they are of no direct concern regarding the Wii System itself.

On another note:
I've read about people using The Hombrew Browser, back in the day.
Is this still something of use or completely dead by now?

game_rat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to give some love to Postloader, it's the app that I always come back to as my main launcher. It can launch emunand channels in neek2o mode, switch between multiple nands, launch retail games with your preferred loader, supports multiple plugins, and best of all it can be a system menu replacement on neek nands. This means no wait time for nands with a large number of games. It's got a few negatives, support has been dropped and Nintendont settings have fallen behind. Recent forks have additonal features but neek2o capability is broken. I really wish I had the knowledge and skill to add to it. Still, even with the absence of a few features, the app is still rock solid and has the best emunand compatibility in my opinion. Long live Postloader!! Stfour, come back!

Reactions: newo

ShadowtearX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have to give some love to Postloader, it's the app that I always come back to as my main launcher. It can launch emunand channels in neek2o mode, switch between multiple nands, launch retail games with your preferred loader, supports multiple plugins, and best of all it can be a system menu replacement on neek nands. This means no wait time for nands with a large number of games. It's got a few negatives, support has been dropped and Nintendont settings have fallen behind. Recent forks have additonal features but neek2o capability is broken. I really wish I had the knowledge and skill to add to it. Still, even with the absence of a few features, the app is still rock solid and has the best emunand compatibility in my opinion. Long live Postloader!! Stfour, come back!

I'll have a look at it tomorrow. sounds like it has features going that sounds unique enough to add / mention. thanks

ShadowtearX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New applications added:
WiiLauncher:
An application that is able to download and activate Cheat Codes for physical discs inserted in your Wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi: pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise