The Best USB Hard Drive

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Slyakin, Apr 30, 2010.

Apr 30, 2010

The Best USB Hard Drive by Slyakin at 11:01 PM (1,035 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Slyakin
    OP

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Okay, I have decided to go and start USB loading my Wii games. (Sorry if this is in the wrong section, by the way) and I was just wondering what hard drives you guys use. I could use the help!

2. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
  3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I use a 250GB WD My Passport and it works fine. Ever game has worked perfectly, it's small, easily portable, and rather sturdy. The installation disc for the shitty software fucked up my computer though [​IMG]

4. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    i have 2 500GB WD My Passport Essentials and never had any problems with them

5. Slyakin
    OP

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Interesting... I find that the 250 GB Passport is pretty sexy, and 250 gigs for 50 dollars isn't too bad...

6. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I use Iomega's 3457 1TB external hard drive. It's externally powered, and with partitions set up properly, you'll be able to run both PS2 and Wii back ups off of it. Everything that I've used it for runs flawlessly - it's quiet, small, and fast. It cost me about $84 off of Tiger Direct.

7. clegion

Member clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    ps2 backup? you mean you alternate it between wii and PS2?

8. Windaga

United States
    As long as you set up partitions, you can use the same USB hard drive for your Wii, PS2, and your computer (and anything else that you can use an external hard drive for.) You just need to set up the proper partitions.

Edit
    So yes. I am able to disconnect my USB from my Wii and connect it into my PS2 (given that the Wii and the PS2 are off) and launch PS2 back ups.

9. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Cool i have only been useing a 40gb for the same thing are you useing the new pS2loader?

10. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    HP SimpleSave

Comes in several sizes, from Portable 350GB (or smaller?) and External 1TB drives. Portable ones work great with USB Loaders, especially for n00bs. No auto-sleep or anything bad.

11. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    A FAT32 partition works for most at least (ps3, wii and pc). The only problem is the filesize limitation (4gb per file).

12. OrGoN3

Member OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I am using a 2.5" WD My Passport Essential SE 1TB drive. Plugged into the right USB port (looking from the backside). I decided to use FAT32 over NTFS (read) so that I can use the drive with HBC, and with other emus (SnesGX). Be sure to remove the stupid SES shit (the "hardware encryption" that comes with the drives). It gets in the way at times, and shouldn't be on there in the first place.

While the max filesize on a FAT32 partition is 4GB, I chose to use wbfs files with a 2GB split, for increased compatibility. (FAT32 also has a max partition size of 2TB, but that isn't a problem yet since there are no HDDs that are more than 2TB).

13. Windaga

United States
    Cobleman: Latest edition of openloader. It's the only one that seems to correctly identify the multiple partitions I've made specifically for my PS2. But yeah.

Edit

I've allocated 120GB of the 1024GB for my Wii (WBFS)