The best emulator you will probably never use

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a lot of big name emulators out there for any system imaginable. You are all probably familiar with names like Dolphin, Snes9x, mgba, citra, and other various emulators. There are even frontends like retroarch that let's you use all of these in one place. However, there is one emulator (that recently evolved too) that is doing great things on a market most likely not interested in emulation.

Enter GBA4IOS

I stumbled onto this baby when I was 12 years old and trying to find zelda-like games on my phone. One thing led to another and all of the sudden, I had this funny little app with a purple triangle on my home-screen. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but now that I don't have an iPhone, I realize how cool this was.

Riley Testut developed this emulator (can't find a release date) and it is probably the most robust phone emulator I have ever seen. Some notable features are
- Cloud saves
- cheat codes
- gyro support
- GB/GBC/GBA game support
- Fast forwarding
- Wireless linking
- Cheats
- Save states
- custom controller skins
- controller support
- in app rom adding
- haptic feedback on virtual buttons
- and the cleanest UI I have seen on any emulator.

For an app exclusive to IOS devices, a lot of love was poured into this thing. I spent countless hours playing through classic games I missed growing up. The inclusion of obscure features like using the gyro for tilt controls, or wireless linking for pokemon trading with friends was incredible. The fact that it was all on the phone made it feel so much more authentic than playing on a computer, console, or even DS. I wish this thing would be ported to android, or even to PC because the experience was so solid. Maybe I'm just nostalgic but it is still my favorite emulator of all time.

The best part? A few days ago, Riley Testut released Delta. This is pretty much the evolution to GBA4IOS. It's the exact same thing, but with support for NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, NDS, and N64 games. iPhones are pretty powerful these days and I heard that ios 13 includes xbox controller support, so this might actually be a really decent way to play a ton of games on the go. I don't miss a lot from my iPhone, but this emulator alone almost makes me want another one.

upload_2019-10-1_22-57-51.jpeg upload_2019-10-1_22-58-11.jpeg kdjlsa.jpg

D

Deleted User

You're right, I will never use that emulator. I'll never own an iPhone... Cool post though, if I had an iPhone I'd be sold because of this.

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're right, I will never use that emulator. I'll never own an iPhone... Cool post though, if I had an iPhone I'd be sold because of this.
I'm with you. I hate Apple's entire business model and infrastructure, but they do make some quality products. Not $999 for a computer stand quality, but it's definitely decent technology

Notting

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sounds promising!

is there a way to get this up and running without a jailbreak? maybe with a dev certificate?

Nerdtendo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds promising!

is there a way to get this up and running without a jailbreak? maybe with a dev certificate?
That's the primary way actually. If you head over to iemulators.com, you can setup what they call an "altserver" which verifies the app for seven days every time you connect to the same network as your computer. It used to be that the app got verified every once in a while and got revoked every few weeks.

Reactions: Notting

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu