• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The benefits of Brexit - the future of the United Kingdom

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They really should just have another vote and make it clear what "leave" is. Even if you question the idea of leaving at all, I would guess that most people wasn't expecting or wanting a no-deal, if they did leave.

we had a vote, leave won, it's those that don't want to leave are preventing us leaving. in a referendum you can only have a binary choice, leave or remain, leave won, the supreme court decided that the people had the right to decide to leave or not but then they decided Parliament would have the right to decide how we left.

there will be an election soon, the Liberals might increase their numbers but they have no chance of getting a majority, I think the last time they did was 100 years ago. Labour are behind the Tories in I think every poll.

I think the Tories will win, maybe with a hung Parliament or with a small majority and then get Brexit done, I can't see Labour winning, not with Corbyn, in the past even Labour MPs wanted to get rid of him.

Reactions: Tarmfot

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it's those that don't want to leave are preventing us leaving. in a referendum you can only have a binary choice

Is referendum defined as binary choice? There are plenty of ways to have such a thing with multiple choices or categories.

Also is it people that don't want to leave preventing leaving (is this not why we are seeing all sorts of long shots with court cases and whatever else?)? Plenty of people/MPs were seemingly prepared to leave, just not under the terms May managed to secure (which I can't say I blame them for) but also not under no deal at all.

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is referendum defined as binary choice? There are plenty of ways to have such a thing with multiple choices or categories.

Also is it people that don't want to leave preventing leaving (is this not why we are seeing all sorts of long shots with court cases and whatever else?)? Plenty of people/MPs were seemingly prepared to leave, just not under the terms May managed to secure (which I can't say I blame them for) but also not under no deal at all.

I doubt the Electoral Commission would allow anything more than a binary choice. Like I said the Supreme court has decided Parliament decides how we leave, not the people.

some people are showing their true colours now, Liberals and Labour said they would honour the result, now the Liberals have said they will revoke article 50 and sat on the fence Crobyn wants his own deal even thou members of the Labour party want to remain.

Corbyn is not going to vote for any deal. Roll on the election and good bye to many of those MPs who decided to ignore the result of a referendum and the majority of their constituents.

I've voted Labour all my life, never again.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Economy wont fall out beneath us. So thats good. :)
(UK has the same economic power as 18 of the not so well of states within the EU combined.)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It basically should be.

If EU and Britain are in agreement, Irland should be able to be sorted out. (This is probably a financial deal, if anything.) Politically they shouldnt be interested in pulling a fast one.

There is still the possibility for the UK using them as a premise to provoke the deal falling through - but its small. The bigger things are settled.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Watching Corbin following up BoJo in speaches right now. Very entertaining. ;) Will post results, once the vote went through.

edit: Corbin: "This deal will automatically lead to a Trump Trade deal"

edit2: BoJo is up again.

edit3: BoJo made a European Bonkers Union joke that was world class. He then called back on it twice. ;)

edit4: Scottish nationalist party is publicly against the deal. Oh dear.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: CORE

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The decision will be postponed. Labour says to make sure that the implementation will be as promised.

We'll see. Now they can move politically.
Postponed? Why's that needed? DUP isn't going to accept a deal the EU proposed three years ago. So the only real difference I can see is that they're not really pinning the blame on the EU but on their own government allies. Not exactly the most helpful approach...IF you want your plan to succeed.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
To change the discussion a little bit, how would a brexit or even a cancelled brexit affect the world?
A canceled brexit is easy : everything would go back to before. Granted, there 'd be some disgruntled naval - and airports, because they had to make preparations that would turn out unneeded (extra customs locations, and such).

Brexit is about the way the country trades with others, so that would change. It'll obviously be somewhat chaotic, but it'll be more or less fine after a while (say... A couple of years). I'm honestly convinced that this is a situation without winners. The trade deals were there to facilitate trade, so getting rid of those makes it harder for EU members and the UK, administrative and legislative.

The main problem is, however, if I turn out to be right. Brexiteers have always argued that the EU held them back. How will the UK population react when their dreams don't come true after leaving? If so, it's not that unlikely there'll be a EU friendly government coming to power in a few years, reapplying membership with the EU. Another real possibility is that Scotland leaves the UK to join the EU themselves (which would surely bring other kinds of tensions).

Okay, there is also a problem when the brexiteers are right (though not for them, obviously). Many other countries will no doubt see a spike in popularity in political parties appealing to populism. It could happen that the entire EU cases to exists /falls apart because of this. It's extreme, but not an impossible scenario. But really... What's the point of having a union of we're INDEED better off on our own? :unsure:

Reactions: KingVamp
D

Deleted User

Give us a second vote on how we are leaving and then execute the majority from that vote. If parliament is going to do fuck all when a deal is presented to them, then what can you do.

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Give us a second vote on how we are leaving and then execute the majority from that vote. If parliament is going to do fuck all when a deal is presented to them, then what can you do.

as long as it's Boris's Deal or leave without a deal.

We need a General election to rid Parliament of those who think they are not accountable for their actions. It's time the Law was changed if you change the Political party you represent you need to call a local election, it's laughable that some MP's have changed alliance upto 2 times and ask for a peoples vote :angry:

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sure. And add in a'remain' option in as well. You can't go around discriminating half the population because they couldn't get a majority three years ago.

no, to honour the result of the first referendum where the majority voted leave, just because YOU don't like the result and 'kick the can' down the road for 3 years doesn't change the fact the majority voted leave.

the 'Peoples Vote' claim 1M were protesting in the streets of London, if anyone tires to revoke article 50, just see how many go and protest, I'll be travelling 200 miles to be there and it will be more than 1M. But I don't think ti will happen, The Tories will win the next election with a majority and that's coming from a ex lifelong labour voter, never again will I vote for them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: