• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The benefits of Brexit - the future of the United Kingdom

supersonicwaffle

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes. More specifically "by individuals overwhelmed by their work.". I don't assume she's speaking of herself there, though it's covert enough not to downright blame her employees. Employees she won't bring to her new department.

So I really don't arrive at your conclusion. If you're leading others (and what politician isn't?), it's perfectly possible that people under you screw up or are up to no good. It doesn't relieve you of your responsibilities, but whether or not she is guilty is really what the investigation is to point out.

I guess we operate under different definitions of incompetence then, which is fair, to me a leader who allows the people working under them to makes errors of this magnitude has shown incompetency as a leader.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I guess we operate under different definitions of incompetence then, which is fair, to me a leader who allows the people working under them to makes errors of this magnitude has shown incompetency as a leader.
We might. But seeing you're German, you probably heard of Von der Leyen before. To me, her name means as much as I assume Charles Michel (the upcoming president of the European counsil and current Belgian prime minister) means to you. So of course I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt for now. I wasn't kidding when I said I only briefly checked the potential scandals. In our newspapers, it's at best a footnote in an article...and given the media, it was probably more like a single sentence in an article that is itself a footnote (this is Europe, after all. It's not like our leaders do controversial things like singlehandedly making important decisions).

Reactions: supersonicwaffle

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As you said: the investigation is still ongoing. She won't be holding her current position long if she's found to be guilty of that, but until then I see no reason for assuming guilt..

Why won't she be holding the position for long? There's no way to remove her, that was my point. There's no mechanisms whatsoever to remove her.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Why won't she be holding the position for long? There's no way to remove her, that was my point. There's no mechanisms whatsoever to remove her.
Okay, fine. You choose to believe that she can't be removed, no matter what the outcome of investigations will be. We'll see if that holds true... Provided she is guilty of anything, of course. I'm not convinced of that either.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
...and Boris Johnson is now the new prime minister of the UK.

Not really a surprise considering his popularity, but that doesn't mean the future's looking bright. The whole "do or die" promise seems like a huge gambit: either leave the EU with a better deal than what we have or without a deal at all. Considering the EU has tauted that there would be no re-negotiations for months, it essentially comes down to "we'll be leaving the EU without a deal".

Small note: the rhetoric wouldn't have been much different under his opponent (Jeremy Hunt). It's just that Johnson has less ambiguity when it comes to being straightforward.

Reactions: notimp

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Benefits likely aren't the ideas going through British people's heads right now. I think the better question would be to ask how we might mitigate all the possible negative outcomes of crashing out of the EU which seems to be the current plan.

The one benefit, which Farage and Johnson clamour on about all the time, is greater sovereignty which means having greater control over laws and economy. Though, the EU hasn't done anything that the British public have generally disagreed with. So the one benefit is moot at best.

Last edited by TheDarkGreninja,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I woke up with Boris Johnson as our PM and 37°C outside. let me translate that for you.

I woke up with the Devil as our PM and in hell.
BUT HE seems a reasonable guy: he do buzinezz with HUAWEI/CHINA (5G will be available at end year in UK), contrary to his EVIL TWIN Trump who's still fighting Trade war tho!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Brexit and especially no deal is more likely than ever. Hence all the liberals and lefties in london are in here complaining.
We'll see about that. The negotiated deal is buried, yes. But that 'will of the people' never was more than a suggestion 52% of the voters made two years ago. Yes, Johnson and his team are in charge of the government and willing to go for a no deal, but I don't see a single reason why things will be different under Johnson than under May.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We'll see about that. The negotiated deal is buried, yes. But that 'will of the people' never was more than a suggestion 52% of the voters made two years ago. Yes, Johnson and his team are in charge of the government and willing to go for a no deal, but I don't see a single reason why things will be different under Johnson than under May.

Because Johnson voted to leave, he's appointed 90% of his cabinet as leavers. They've all signed a pledge for no deal if the EU won't renegotiate. Everything he's done so far is the polar opposite of May. Juncker has already said the WA won't be renegotiated, paving the way for the UK to keep their money and leave on WTO. If parliament try and block it then there'll be a general election and that's when we'll truly find out what people want, i suspect all the career politicians and remainers will be booted out. Naturally the media will say the opposite much like they did for Trump and Brexit and got it horribly wrong. The biggest taste for public opinion as of late was the MEP votes last month where the UK overwhelmingly voted for the brexit party. 99 days left to find out.

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

but in many places it was more than 52% to 48% to leave, for example where I live it was 58% to 42% and I'm in a Labour strong hold. Maybe that's why Corbyn has been dithering so long on where the Labour party stands because they know in many of the Leave areas they have Labour MP's and with the Brexit party and tactical voting even some of the safe Labour seats could go.

It will be very interesting at the next election, as a life long Labour voter I'll be voting tactically to vote for who ever can beat my local Labour MP.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
but in many places it was more than 52% to 48% to leave, for example where I live it was 58% to 42% and I'm in a Labour strong hold. Maybe that's why Corbyn has been dithering so long on where the Labour party stands because they know in many of the Leave areas they have Labour MP's and with the Brexit party and tactical voting even some of the safe Labour seats could go.

It will be very interesting at the next election, as a life long Labour voter I'll be voting tactically to vote for who ever can beat my local Labour MP.
That's the thing about an average: the situation is different in regions. Why do you think Scotland and Northern Ireland are pondering to get into the EU/Ireland? The UK simply isn't united in the resolve to leave.

It clearly isn't resolved to remain either (what was it? Wales and the Midwest were strong leave regions, iirc). The delay on Corbyn's stance is possibly just that. I think he really wants to avoid the polarisation that is consuming the US right now, but it's happening regardless.

Last edited by Taleweaver,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't help feeling that it was someone's plan all along to make Boris and Trump the figureheads. It just doesn't seem feasible that it could've happened naturally. In fact, nothing about the current climate feels natural.

Reactions: IncredulousP

IncredulousP

GBAtemp's Resident Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't help feeling that it was someone's plan all along to make Boris and Trump the figureheads. It just doesn't seem feasible that it could've happened naturally. In fact, nothing about the current climate feels natural.
It has already been proven that Russia actively affected both US presidency and UK Brexit.

Reactions: MRJPGames

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: