The Beginners Guide To DS homebrew *new edition*

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Scorpei, Jun 22, 2007.

Jun 22, 2007
  1. Scorpei
    OP

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    And hello again all,

Yes it has been a while since I updated this little gem but it was worth it. I've added a lot of new developements like DLDI, DS-slot mods (covering nearly all available DS products), GBA-slot mods (nearly covering all products here too) and more (including some general fixes) and here is the new updated version of my Beginners Guide To DS homebrew.

If you wish to contact me read the guide for details (or go to my blog at http://blog.scorpei.com/)

[​IMG]

I've put quite a lot of work in this baby and I have to say I really like the outcome. Though this will probably not appeal much to people who are already deep into the world of DS homebrew it might still be an interesting read. Aside from that I hope that this (new update) will allow people to easier enter the scene and enjoy the DS to it's fullest with great applications and games!

Download link

So if you know people interested in DS homebrewing, or feel like spreading the word please do .

Cheers,
    Scorpei

2. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Great idea Scorpei, just one thing:
    Why not a HTML/online version? [​IMG]

3. Scorpei
    OP

Netherlands
    Well, true enough a lot of people would like that but the PDF is just 2 megs in size [​IMG]. This way one could also print it and take it along or put it on their PDA's or something. If people want it though (feel free to contact me) I'll think about it [​IMG].

4. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Great guide! Very interesting to read. I'm not a beginner anymore, but I may be able to help some people with this.

5. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Now I'll correct some errors [​IMG]

Firstly, I read somewhere that the M3 Lite has limited GBA support. This is not true. There are both Pro and Perfect versions. The Perfect versions offer full GBA support.
    But maybe I just didn't understand...

Then some spelling / typo's / grammar mistakes: (I made screenshots, so I don't know the page numbers anymore...)
    "So you wouldn't need to have a normal car in your DS to put it to sleep mode;" -> Make that cart [​IMG]
    On the same page you talk about "slot-1 or 2". I think it should be "slot-1 or -2" or something, maybe just "slot 1 or 2".
    Page for states "copyrigh" -> that should be copyright [​IMG]
    And: "maximum is 4 Gbit, which is equal to 512 Mb." This is not try. Those 4 Gigabits equal 512 MegaBytes. So that should be 4Gb (notice the small B) = 512 MB (because those are bytes).
    Then, when talking about converting .nds to .ds.gba it says: "copy /b ndsloader.bin + file_you_want_to_patched.nds". That sounds strange. I think it should be "file you want to patch" or "file you want to be patched" or something.
    Also you say "There came clones". As we're both Dutch, I understand this. You wanted to translate "Er kwamen". But you shouldn't translate it that way. I can't think of any way to translate it properly atm [​IMG] (I'm going to read the sentence back and try to translate it properly.)
    When talking about, for example, the Ewin2 you write "Euro's". In English, you just write the "s" after the word ("euros").
    I also saw "25 euo's" -> that's to mistakes in one word [​IMG]
    Almost finished. I didn't understand the sentence "(as no OS is not able to write to their filesystem directly)". I don't know what it should be... Oh and: "normal .nsd homebrew" -> should be ".nds homebrew".

That was everything I found [​IMG] Nice guide though!

6. Scorpei
    OP

Netherlands
    Thanks mate! I've just made updates to the thing (uploaded and download links fixed). You're right on me making some spelling/grammer glitches [​IMG]. I try to have people read my work before releasing it but they don't filter everything out either (I write everything in one go) [​IMG].