Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was... eh.

I rented it on Vimeo. The story had a ton of potential, but it was ruined by the excessive WE WANNA MAKE YOU LAUGH gags. And the ending... wat.
Pat's cameo was funny as hell. I wish I could say the same for the Nostalgia Critic, if they gave him more than 5 seconds on screen.
And the special effects... my God. They were as bad as any bad low-budget movie.
Anybody with a bit of movie knowledge knows if the movie REALLY cost as much as the funds raised by the kickstarter?

DeadPixelMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you spent any time watching his updates about the process of making the movie over the last few years then yes you would see it exceeded what he got from the kick starter. I don't understand what you were expecting, a triple A Hollywood movie? It WAS and still is a LOW BUDGET movie and everyone who donated ( my self included ) understood this. The movie turned out great, great cameos, great jokes , great effects for it being a first time full features low budget movie from Mr. Rolfe himself. I could not imagine what he could do with a real Hollywood budget. I think your disappointed because you expected way to much, if you aren't a fan of indie films then you wouldn't like this movie regardless.

Reactions: Deleted User

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I bought it the day it came out, watched it the next day. The ending was indeed a bit wat.
Overall I enjoyed it, but I'd have to say I enjoyed some of his reviews more.

Most of the funds from indiegogo went to renting locations, hiring staff, things like that, AFAIK.

I think it was pretty impressive considering the low budget, if you have any idea how much movies normally cost to produce then you'll agree. The special effects may be B-movie quality, but the story and acting is better than most B-movies.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand what you were expecting, a triple A Hollywood movie? It WAS and still is a LOW BUDGET movie and everyone who donated ( my self included ) understood this. The movie turned out great, great cameos, great jokes , great effects for it being a first time full features low budget movie from Mr. Rolfe himself. I could not imagine what he could do with a real Hollywood budget. I think your disappointed because you expected way to much, if you aren't a fan of indie films then you wouldn't like this movie regardless.

The Raid was made for less than a million dollars. Low budget isn't an excuse for looking like shit, it just means that you have to work within your budget.

Everything I've seen and heard of this movie has really put me off of it. The only people really praising it at this point seem to be those stuck in post-purchase rationalization. I like James Rolfe the guy, but the AVGN shtick got tired years ago; I'd like to see him move on, but I get the feeling that it just isn't going to happen.

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
Adding to the B-movie argument - this was planed as one from the beginning, it didn't aim to achieve anything more, and rightfully so, as the effects feel genuine, even with the debatable quality. To put it in a different perspective, nobody bashes stuff like Sharkando for looking bad.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Adding to the B-movie argument - this was planed as one from the beginning, it didn't aim to achieve anything more, and rightfully so, as the effects feel genuine, even with the debatable quality. To put it in a different perspective, nobody bashes stuff like Sharkando for looking bad.

Sure they do. The Sharknado movies are just lazy, cynical cash grabs. They put in no effort and cheap out in the aims of creating "So Bad It's Good" while ignoring (or failing to understand) that genuinely entertaining "So Bad It's Good" movies come from failed genuine effort (The Room, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Birdemic, etc.).

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
Sure they do. The Sharknado movies are just lazy, cynical cash grabs. They put in no effort and cheap out in the aims of creating "So Bad It's Good" while ignoring (or failing to understand) that genuinely entertaining "So Bad It's Good" movies come from failed genuine effort (The Room, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Birdemic, etc.).

My fault here, I was implying the second kind in my post, I'm just not into this kind of movies enough to provide good examples, it seems

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This movie was disappointing, plain and simple, but really I can't say I'm surprised, James Rolfe very clearly has never been a good "actor," he should just stick to silly game reviews. Having said that, I think his time of prominence has dissipated, I find game reviews from the likes of JonTron to be more enjoyable these days.

Vipera

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was trying way too hard to get a laugh from the audience to justify the "b-movie" feel. Great B-Movies are great at making their funny moments look like unexpected, unwanted. The AVGN movie felt like LOL WE ARE DOING BAD AND WE KNOW IT LOLOLOL.
And I'm still convinced that some of the money weren't used for the movie, as pretty much all the special effects were used by toys and sand (and you could see it).

DeadPixelMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This movie was disappointing, plain and simple, but really I can't say I'm surprised, James Rolfe very clearly has never been a good "actor," he should just stick to silly game reviews. Having said that, I think his time of prominence has dissipated, I find game reviews from the likes of JonTron to be more enjoyable these days.

To YOU the movie was disappointing there are many that would disagree , and Gahars considering this was his first attempt at such a high scale project it was very impressive, also that "raid" scene you linked to showed no special effects what so ever and having fast cuts of people fighting must be incredibly hard to accomplish. The movie wasn't perfect but it was great for what it was.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To YOU the movie was disappointing there are many that would disagree , and Gahars considering this was his first attempt at such a high scale project it was very impressive, also that "raid" scene you linked to showed no special effects what so ever and having fast cuts of people fighting must be incredibly hard to accomplish. The movie wasn't perfect but it was great for what it was.

Well if you were impressed and entertained by the movie, good on you. For me, it was a waste of money and very disappointing. And that has nothing to do with special effects, budget, scale or anything like that. The movie was just weak, it crawled along and did little to keep me interested.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and Gahars considering this was his first attempt at such a high scale project it was very impressive

So what, you want to put it on the fridge so everyone can see it?

also that "raid" scene you linked to showed no special effects what so ever and having fast cuts of people fighting must be incredibly hard to accomplish.

Ah, yes, I forgot how cheap and easy choreography, stunt work, and set design are (not to mention actually filming the scene in a coherent matter). I don't think you understand filmmaking at all.

Look, I get that you desperately want to like this movie, but white knighting on James Rolfe's behalf is going to get you nowhere. Let it go.

Reactions: duffmmann

DeadPixelMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what, you want to put it on the fridge so everyone can see it?

Ah, yes, I forgot how cheap and easy choreography, stunt work, and set design are (not to mention actually filming the scene in a coherent matter). I don't think you understand filmmaking at all.

Look, I get that you desperately want to like this movie, but white knighting on James Rolfe's behalf is going to get you nowhere. Let it go.

Obviously you don't. Do us a favor and get back to the IMDb forums. I don't think James Rolfe is a white knight i really wouldn't call myself a fan per say, I'm a fan of indie films and i can appreciate the hard work that he put into it that's about it, no i truly do like his film and a few of his college projects as well. I get that you desperately have to try and spread hate for James Rolfe because you seem to have jealousy issues towards him for making something most true indie film fans can enjoy. You can let it go. But i get you must be mr last word, so come on keep spewing the vomit of the mouth.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It looks more like a labor of love, almost like an Ed Wood movie. Like it wasn't made to be good nor bad, but to be made because the director wanted so badly to make a movie and now that they have, they are happy with themselves.
Jame's dream was to direct a full-blown movie and see it through to the end and he did that. I don't think he was aiming to please everyone, but to really fulfill his own personal goal. To which I applaud him for actually seeing through and accomplishing his goal to actually make a movie and see it released.

As for the movie itself, it turned out pretty much exactly how I expected it would. I went into the movie expecting it to be meh and it was meh, but still overall enjoyed the movie.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously you don't. Do us a favor and get back to the IMDb forums. I don't think James Rolfe is a white knight i really wouldn't call myself a fan per say, I'm a fan of indie films and i can appreciate the hard work that he put into it that's about it, no i truly do like his film and a few of his college projects as well. I get that you desperately have to try and spread hate for James Rolfe because you seem to have jealousy issues towards him for making something most true indie film fans can enjoy. You can let it go. But i get you must be mr last word, so come on keep spewing the vomit of the mouth.

Just cuz a film is indie and made by people that worked really hard on it, doesn't instantly make it good. I don't think most indie film fans will enjoy this, and I don't personally have two bins in my head judging films based on how much money went into it. If a film is good be it indie or big budget, I will say so, if a film is shitty be it indie or big budget, I will call it out as such. In this case unfortunately, even though clearly a lot of time, effort, and care were put into this movie, it doesn't change the fact that at the end of the day it was pretty bad. I like James Rolfe, but his shtick can get old, and it gets real old real quick in this film. It may be about time for him to retire the angry video game nerd, its starting to feel like he isn't even doing it anymore because he wants to, but more-so out of some sort of obligation. At least that's my opinion on the whole thing. And I'm not just being a hater, I paid money to watch this film, I sat through all 2 hours, and in the end I felt like I was cheated out of both time and money, and that sucks, because I really did want this to be a success and something I'd want to watch again and again, but that just isn't what happened.

Reactions: Gahars

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
While I enjoy watching AVGN videos, I saw the trailers for his film and that right there told me that it wasn't for me, it just looked so cheesy and corny as well as that toy van looked so unrealistic it'd be hard to not notice it.

I'm not sure I'd even pirate it, but between a Tyler Perry film and this.. I'd take this.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously you don't. Do us a favor and get back to the IMDb forums.

Obviously? Okay, please explain where I was wrong and how I was wrong.

Pssh, nothin personnel, kid.

I don't know why you think I hate James Rolfe, especially when I said I like James Rolfe (in this very thread, actually). You seem to be taking this all a bit too personally, and I think it's hurting your ability to think and express yourself clearly. I'd recommend stepping back from the computer and taking a breather; maybe go for a walk or read a good back. Come back when you're feeling a bit more calm. I think that will benefit everyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse