The amiibo fever is starting to fade away at last.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by WiiCube_2013, Jul 16, 2015.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I find this to be quite relieving as people are beginning to get over this whole amiibo hype/trend and I myself have distanced from it too. The darn "rare" amiibos no longer go for ridiculous amounts and Nintendo's doing the right thing by restocking so they've finally took control of the situation.

I'll be selling my amiibos (at least the ones that I can make my money back) to the local CeX store nearby cause while they're nicely detailed, they've done their part unlocking the content I wanted so that's that. I tried looking up how much they'd give for the Skull Kid statue but it's not on their website.

Rosalina - £13
    Captain Falcon - £10
    Robin - £10
    Shulk - £11
    Meta Knight - £11
    Little Mac - £11
    King Dedede - £11
    Ness - £13
    Pac-Man - £13

I can make back at least £103 from what I spent on these little fuckers. As for the others I might keep or sell for store credit as sometimes they have items I'd want to get.

How about you guys? Do you still enjoy collecting/buying amiibos?

2. AaronUzumaki

AaronUzumaki A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon

Feb 8, 2009
    United States
    Akron, Ohio
    I love collecting figurines, so I will continue to purchase them. However, I always preorder them so it only costs $13 per amiibo, which, in my opinion, is a reasonable price. I am fortunate enough to be good friends with all the employees, including the managers, of my local Gamestop, so I have the hookup on amiibo preorders. As for the other store exclusives, I was able to find them all at their respective stores without much trouble.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  3. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I originally got the amiibos as I thought I'd like 'em as figures but then decided to use them for Nintendo games, now that they've done what they had there's really not much holding back from selling now.

Oh yeah, Villager's (the 2.0 ver) going too. Would rather get games instead of happy meal toys. :P

4. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Even for figure collectors, amiibos suck. The quality is ridiculously inconsistent, and even at their best, many amiibos just look like really amateur stuff. They are clearly very cheaply made, and to me, that is a major turn off from what could have been their one redeeming quality.

HaloEffect17 and WiiCube_2013 like this.
  5. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I was really lucky that I found Marth and Wii Fit Trainer being sold for the recommended price of £10.99. The prices for them on ebay has finally come down to a sensible price which makes me wonder if I should just open them up and actually PLAY with them now.

The thought of collecing ALL of them is a scary thought but it doesn't look good when I only have two Amiibo on show.

6. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Not too long ago I ordered Villager and you know what Amazon sent me? Wii Fit Trainer amiibo so screw that, I sent it back to them.

I really wish Nintendo would sell amiibos as digital DLC than only physical DLC.

7. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    I knew this would inevitably happen. Now to go laugh at my friends who spent $40 a pop on some of these things after I told them they would eventually be restocked and decrease in price.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  8. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Gold Mario amiibo is still going for somewhat high prices but it should drop within time.

9. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I got 2 Pit Amiibos and 2 Dark Pit amiibos.
    Might get a Shulk one..

I like the fact that their small detailed statues of sexy boys~

10. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    I just collect my mains, and try to help my friends get some of their favorites. I only really need Game&Watch, Dark Pit, Dr Mario, and Lucas, and then i'll be content with the smash ones.

But tbf, I do like collecting the little guys either way. While Nathan Drake is correct that the quality can be inconsistent, the fact of the matter is, a lot of these nintendo characters have no other means of collectibity or physicality aside from these figures, and their games.

Aside from some Mario and Zelda merch, and maybe a couple plushies now and again, characters from the fire emblem series, the kid icarus series, the earthbound series, and so forth, have little to no physical representation. If people are a fan of something to the point that they want to represent their love of it through a physical entity, this is the way for them to finally do it. It's cheap sure, but it's also one of the few options they actually have anyway.

11. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    I just don't understand why one wouldn't just spend money on the games? I've never had any interested in them, and they really don't enhance the game tremendously. I feel Amiibos are just overly priced DLC and nothing else.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  12. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    If it wasn't for certain amiibos going out of stock it would have never been a big deal.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  13. Smuff

Smuff Fossilized Gamer

Jul 29, 2006
    By the sea
    [​IMG]

...... For scalpers maybe.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  14. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Scalpers are screwed. No one buys from them now, unless it's someone really desperate.

15. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    The bubble was bound to burst sooner or later

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  16. purupuru

purupuru GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    United States
    Reminds me of the Beanie Baby craze of 98. Vast fortunes were wiped out when that bubble burst

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  17. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    I have a green Yarn Yoshi so all other amiibos are irrelevant.

18. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Actually got £166 for the pile as to contrary of the prices on CeX website, thank god, it's always better to get more. :P

As such, I lost about £13 in total from selling them back but still a whole lot better than not making any money and the amiibos did their share so I'm OK with the value that I received. I still have Yoshi and Pikachu and the god damn Pikachu amiibo wasn't usable neither on YWW or MK8 so pretty much useless (I'm not a Smash fan). Next time I go there I'll take these two plus the Skull Kid statue to see how much they'll give me for it.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  19. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Pretty much this. I was interested in some amiibos until I took a look at them and they look like a kindergartener molded it out of playdoh.

20. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    And then Nintendo will release a new low quality, low quantity series of Amiibos and everyone will be all over them again, because hey "it's Nintendo!"