The Aesthetics of Slot 2 Carts

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Schizoanalysis, Jul 15, 2010.

Jul 15, 2010
  1. Schizoanalysis
    OP

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    The Aesthetics of Slot 2 Carts
    by Schizoanalysis

Having tried all the DSL slot 2 carts I can get my hands on in search of a perfect fit, below is a summary of the aesthetic appeal of those I have tried:

White EZ Flash 3 in 1: Cheap, flexible plastic. The white is somewhat yellowish, but what lets this cart down is the almost "rubbery" feel and look of the plastic. It looks quite odd siting in the DSL. Sits flush. Lacks the clear plastic coating of the original white DSL slot cover.

Two stars: **

White M3 GBA Expansion Pack: Good quality plastic, reasonable color. Slightly lighter than the color of the white DSL. Does not quite sit flush, one side sticks out slightly more than the other (although not by much), giving it a disjointed appearance. Lacks the clear plastic coating of the original white DSL slot cover.

Four stars: ****

White M3 Perfect Lite: This card is a nightmare to get out of the DSL, I almost cracked the casing of the DSL trying the rip the damn thing out of the console. The cart is far too fat. This one is staying in my GBMicro. Otherwise it looks good, but it will never again be inserted into my DSL. Sits flush. Lacks the clear plastic coating of the original white DSL slot cover.

One star: *

White G6 Lite: Good quality plastic. Color is somewhat darker (more yellowish) than the white of the DSL. Sits flush. Lacks the clear plastic coating of the original white DSL slot cover.

Four stars: ****

2. N4RU70 FR34K

Banned N4RU70 FR34K Banned

United States
    These are good but where did you get the M3 Perfect Lite and G6 Lite?

3. Schizoanalysis
    OP

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    I bought them a year or so ago.

As far as I know, they are no longer available in online shops.

If anyone esle has more Slot 2 cartridges to add, please feel free.

I also have the Nintendo web browser expansion and Ewin rumble pack, but they are not white, so I did not add them here.

4. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    M3 Perfect (full GBA cart size): Very well made and the casing is a grayish sort of cloudy/clear, but the spring loaded SD slot is too easy to accidentally bump and unlock the SD. There is an indent across the whole SD that about matches the curvature of your thumb, so if you grab your DS, you have to be mindful of the miniSD slot or you could unlock and lose it without even realizing it. I have yet to run across a GBA game that does not work in it. 5 stars

Supercard miniSD (full GBA cart size): Decent build quality. The casing is a transparent purple color. Problems with the Supercard mainly focus on slowdown in many GBA games and only about 85% GBA compatibility, but it's great for homebrew. At least the SD slot isn't so easy to accidentally bump as the M3's. I bought the M3 Perfect to replace it because I hated the slowdown. The Supercard team STILL supports it, but only for DS compatibility, not for any more GBA games. 3 stars (only that high because of continued support)

EZFlash IV (full GBA cart size): Solid, clear plastic seems slightly flimsier than the first two, but not to the point of causing any concern. The miniSD slot is on the side of the cart instead of the back, so you will always have to pull the cart from the GBA slot to alter the contents of the SD, but at least you will never have to worry about it popping out accidentally. GBA compatibility seems good, but I haven't fully tested it since it's my brother's cart. Contacts seem to be a problem on this cart more than the other two requiring you to re-seat the cart more than you should have to. 4 stars.

All three carts have a ridge along the edge of the cart to easily grip and remove it from the GBA slot. All sit flush in an actual GBA, but will stick out of a DSlite....of course. The M3 Perfect is the only one of the three to have a Real Time Clock.

Hope that's the sort of quickie reviews you were looking for.