The Achievement Poll & Topic Thread

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by WeaponXxX, Nov 26, 2008.

?

What do you think about Achievements?

1. They are a great way to brag about your gaming skills! I aim to get as many as I can.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. They are a great way to show off your gaming skills and I aim to get the good ones but you won't fin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I enjoy getting the reasonable achievements while playing a new game but won't stress myself out on

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't care about bragging rights however collecting achievements for myself really offers me some

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Achievements suck as they show me just how much time I have wasted in front of my TV.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Achievements suck and are a gimmick from Microsoft.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Achievements blow...we get it... you have a HUUUUUGE epenis and I still don't care!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Nov 26, 2008
  1. WeaponXxX
    OP

Member WeaponXxX Too F'in Blonde

United States
    As I work on the mile high club achievement for COD4 and ponder over getting the brass balls achievement for Bioshock and contemplate on the 7 day survivor achievement on Dead Rising I have to wonder if I should go for it? I mean I could start a NEW game...but these hard achievements seems to lurk at me...whispering in my sleep, "You can't obtain me". Part of me wants to put these games down and move on but then part of me says, "Well if your gonna get these achievements you should do it while the games are fresh in your brain."

I've never been one too keen on peer pressure but I do know most my fleshy friends don't give two licks over getting achievements but then I do have an addictive/compulsive personality...

So what is your take on achievements, if you hate em then why? If you love em then what is your most cherished ones?

360 owners lets chat!

2. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Just curious but do acheivements really make that much difference in playing a game. I mean, does it give you more playtime instead of just finishing the game and putting it away for good.

3. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I voted They are a great way to brag about your gaming skills! I aim to get as many as I can.

yes, some people aim for a complete 1,000G which might require more play time and sometimes developers add more achievements which will bring people back to the game.

4. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    Did this poll get buried or does nobody give a shit about the 360 [​IMG]

5. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States

This is primarily a Nintendo forum where there are some side posting about ps3, psp, xbox360 and other random system most of the posts revolves around Nintendo related things.

Also I prefer a PC for fps's.

They game is nice and all and pretty great graphics especially in the CoD line of games at the time I just find myself getting bored of games faster then I can pick them up.

6. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    Holy shit this is a Nintendo forum....Fuck I've been going to the wrong site since 2004! Egad!
    Nah Thug tried to get more tempers talking about the 360 a while back...I think all the tempers that own a 360 were too busy playing their system to actually browse these forums and respond to his topics...and I'm possibly going through that now.

And I didn't know Viva Pinata, Burnout and Dead Rising were FPS. Good to know cause I had them sorted in the wrong genre in my library.

7. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I don't care for them. I don't bother going for them , the only ones I have are the ones you get from normal play. I dislike what they seem to have brought with them though.

Since they appeared , developers seem to have gotten lazy. Rather than proper unlocks you just get an achievement and then they sell you what would of been an unlock as dlc [​IMG]. I also dislike the way they seem to be used by some lazy devs to add replay value as well , rather than actually do something that would make multiple play through worthwhile , they just whack achievements in and say that's the replay value. Well no , if a games worth playing through again , it's going to be so on it's own merit , not just cos they decided to add some dodgy achievement , if the games average it aint getting played again , achievement isn't going to change it.

Then there's the attitude from some people about them , as if they mean everything. Some people will look at your games played list , see you have very few achievement per game and instantly assume you don't play your games , it can't possibly be you don't care about them.

Also don't like the fact that they are used to try and sell gold subscriptions.

No vote as options seem to go from you like to some degree , to you dislike , no option for don't care about them.

8. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    I said #1, but I don't agree with it all. I just like getting them, its not like I brag about getting them. I rarely go on Live, and rarely brag to my real life frends about them, so I just get them because I like to have them I guess lol

9. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States

I dunno for me no matter what system it is be it PC or whatever I get bored of it far to fast games just do not seem to hold my interest like they used to, if the site had more things revolving around other systems like scene releases like the DS and Wii get here I think more people would browse the forum that are bigger fans of the 360 and what not.

Also when I first glanced at the topic I thought it was just about CoD4 as thats the first thing I saw in bold hence why I thought FPS.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

10. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Considering gamerscore wont get you much respect outside of gaming communities (or anywhere pretty much) so I use them for replay value.

11. WeaponXxX
    OP

United States
    You know, a high amount of gamerpoints really could mean squat, I played a game last night with a dude who had 40k points. At first I was like Whoa! But after further investigation it was like Wall-E, Spyro, TMNT, Simpsons, basically a lot of what I am guessing are easy achievment points. Sure I racked up quite a lot of points in Lego Star Wars, hell I might even try TMNT, and I feel a little ashamed for my 40 points in Dash of Destruction but to me its not the amount I get but rather the quality. When I got 1000/1000 in COD: World at War...it just felt good. And when I did this....

Well it just felt somewhat orgasmic!

12. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Damn, that was some p0wnage right there. (Your video!) Congrats on the achievement :]

I love achievements. I don't like to show them off or anything, I just use them as a way of "replay value". They help me keep playing my old games. Plus, it's fun to compare what achievements my friends got and which ones I got and try to get the ones I don't have. I noticed one of my friends had all the achievements for BioShock, so I've been working on that lately.

13. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Why are they compiled by score if it doesn't really matter? Of course, then people would compare the number of achievements they have instead of score...Oh, and anyone remember the "pay us $25 and we'll inflate your gamerscore" thing from a few years back?

I don't see much point to them. Sure, I guess it's something to show off to yourself or others that care, but come on, does it really matter?

I'm going to make an X360 game one day. One of the achievements involves having to play the game for 120 hours in a single run, no pausing, and a grace period of 30 seconds for no controller input. *sadist* [​IMG] Should the person who gets that be revered, or feared?

14. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    This video comes to mind:

Anyway, I like to try and get achievements if they seem worthwhile. Once I got 4 achievements at once unintentionally when playing Guitar Hero IV.