The Acekard RPG firmware opensource?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by purina, Jul 27, 2008.

Jul 27, 2008
  1. purina
    OP

Newcomer purina Member

United Kingdom
    I used to have an R4DS a while back but now i am in search of a new flashcart. The acekart rpg caught my eye for three main reasons,

1. open source firmware apparantly
    2. ultra fast nand memory
    3. can trim the roms when copying

I like the idea of the opensource firmware because i like to try out people creations and features they have desined though i have not noticed any homebrew firmware as of yet...where should i be looking? any recommendations on firmware?

Tough its quite a pricey card i think its worth it. Though i may go with the new ez-v plus...i was also interested in the ds-x until i learned that it was pants other than the dancing led things

2. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    just look a thread above for AKAIO 1.1

3. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    heh I bought a DS-X back when it came out (and was taught a valuable lesson as a result) and now own an AK RPG, and the RPG is heads and shoulders above the DS-X. Of course, if you want a product that ended support about a year or two ago despite jerking around their customers after the fact, and requires a combination of patching and prayer to get things running today but who knows about tomorrow, then by all means spend the $100+

I went with the RPG for a few reasons, 1) Open source means there is at least the _potential_ that it won't end up like the DS-X.

2) I didn't feel like screwing around with SD cards. It's great the one I already owned does work with it, but I would rather skip all the threads along the lines of "does this one work? Will this one introduce problems? Why doesn't my SD card work? Which SD card are you all using?"

3) mincing the price is plain stupid as far as I'm concerned--you're talking about a one time investment on a product that plays infinite games. Just the collection of NES games that I have on mine, and the amount of time that I'll play them, is worth a couple times the price of the RPG. If every flash card out there cost four times what they do now, would that really change the value of them? Price seems to be the sole argument that a few peons use in favor of the AK2 over the RPG, but it just doesn't make any sense. How poor+jobless are some of these people, and if that's the case then why are you sitting around playing video games?

4) I dig the feature list which seemed comparable to any other product on the market. Right now it works for everything I want--I stick a game on here, it plays. I can apply cheats when there's something so stupid about one of them that they're more fun without, like the laws system in FFTA2. I would love to see them institute real time saves, but it's not among my requirements.

4. Swip

Member Swip GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I'm a 13 year old kid without a job so thats almost 2 weeks of my allowance to pay for the difference between the ak2 and the akrpg.

5. dib

United States
    Well I can relate to that, and obviously I didn't have minors in mind. On the other hand you have to realize that from the perspective of just about anybody else here, that's _less_ of an excuse because at your age you have everything taken care of for you. The rest of us pay bills, rent, food, gas, etc. Shelling out the difference means not buying a couple CDs this month. Or just put it on your Christmas/birthday list.

Meanwhile, I can recall being thirteen and not incapable of earning some extra cash whether it was mowing neighbors lawns or anything I could think up.

But it doesn't really matter, you've got a working card and that's all that matters. It still comes down to the fact that the only argument in favor of the AK2 seems to be price, and when that difference is a few hours of work it's not the issue that people seem to perceive it.

6. purina
    OP

Newcomer purina Member

United Kingdom
    I wasnt to concerned about the price meerly cautious that it was worth the extra ( which it seems like it is) Thank you for all your support I really think that the acekard rpg is the card for me. there are no plans for a newer version soon or anything are there? because if there was i may reason to wait. I will check out that firmware now [​IMG]

7. dib

United States
    Nobody can answer that question. My take is that there's nothing a new cart could introduce, because none of these people are much for innovating anything. Every cart just copies the technology+features of the existing ones, and the main features like save states and slow motion are software issues.

We still haven't seen a card really intended for developer use, that allows the USB port to work in conjunction with a running DS and so forth. Some speculate this could be done with a card like the Acekard provided they developed a loader for it, but I doubt they ever will. Features like that just don't carry much motivation when their primary market is piracy. So I can't see Acekard creating anything new for the DS. But that's just my take.

8. purina
    OP

Newcomer purina Member

United Kingdom
    ahh i see, thanks for the info