Hacking The 3DS scene is peaking right now!

NEO117

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Piracy has been peaking. Homebrew? Ehhh... Debatable, but who actually cares about that apart from emulators so we can pirate older games as well? Or DOOM?

trolololo_4x6.jpg

D

Deleted-355425

I'd love to see the homebrew scene peak...
The new "piracy-enabling" developments should help at least a bit with that, to make homebrew more accessible.

everything has to do with balance, for that... we need teams on both sides.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If this is the peak of things then I might even be able to miss the "get it at the end of the life" thing I do with consoles I do not care to play at the time.

Reactions: gamesquest1

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Having hacks and piracy is good and all..... Buuuuuuuuuut..... There needs to actually be Devs to write homebrews.

The 3DS still has a long way to go to catch up with the PSP, whose homebrew scene was made up of the stuff of legends.

If the scene put in as much effort as it does on dev menu/CIA installation, into the homebrew scene, we would be playing upscaled 3D PS1 games right now. Jus sayin'

Reactions: SLiV3R and Zidapi

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
people wishing to see the peak don't realize its all downhill from there.....still hoping something amazing happens like a flood of eager dev's working on new projects......i think there is still some way to go, but at the rate its been going i dont think anyone will make it to the peak (meaning where pretty much the majority of what is possible has been done, not just the most active time frame).....tbh homebrew in general has been abandoned by a lot as more friendly and profitable dev environments have emerged with android and ios, all that is really left for homebrew is beginner dev's starting out and making their own projects and learning as they go (which i am ofc grateful for, thats in no way a putdown) and the more "i could do something amazing, but meh i cba" types....no sense of excitement in homebrew now days, no "omg wow we can play n64 games .....on a XBOX :O!!!, everyone is just so used to having emulators on phones tablets etc that developing such stuff doesn't get as much attention as it once did and people are generally more negative to those doing the work and demanding better/faster as their samsung galaxy S5 can run N64 games much better than homebrew on closed source platforms.....which is true, i understand why homebrew as a whole is in decline, and its kinda sad to see

powersaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In terms of this, I think it peaked with Palantine, however that's just my opinion. In terms of retail, the peak was a long time ago (I think). Which is why $$$ never made sense to me as a factor for not releasing things. Oh wait, it wasn't they wanted to make Ninty more $$$, they wanted to make more $$$ for themselves by selling exploits. And any deve who says they don't pirate is lying. Seriously.

Reactions: SLiV3R

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't think we'll see any new exploits for a long while with the elitists pissed off about the leak of a software piracy solution. I would like to see a 3d media player/video streamer.

I lost it at 'petered'
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/peter_out

"Verb
peter out (third-person singular simple present peters out, present participle petering out, simple past and past participle petered out)

1. (idiomatic) To dwindle; to tail off; to diminish to nothing.
    What started as a great effort ended up petering out to nothing."

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Some things that have been said and I agree with:

-The peak of 3ds retail games occurred 1-2 years ago or something
-The homebrew scene never peaked. It never even got fully started. Even though we have stuff like ninjhax.
-Piracy is kind of peaking right now with pasta, rx tools etc.

I actually disagree with some guys saying emulation of legacy platforms are irrelevant when talking of hacking scenes. I mean, there has often been emulation on platforms like wii, ds and psp that shows how much we understand and can juice out of the hardware. So we should not underestimate emulation, even though some don't like retro gaming! :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The 3ds scene has its peak/prime time right now! With Pasta, RXTools and GBA injection! The 3ds scene has around 2 years left. So perhaps we will see some more cool things happening.. Fullspeed NEO GEO emulator? DSi injection?

What are your thoughts? Will the 3DS scene slow down now? Or are there 2 intensive years left?
DSiWare injection exists :)

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Some people always bemoan the fact that most of the major homebrew tends to be emulators, but there are good reasons why these tend to be developed rather than 'new, original' games. For starters, unless your game is very basic you're going to need artists and designers to design the assets of even relatively basic games. These are massively different skillsets to those of most coders. Such projects tend to be undertake by teams rather than individuals. Those who do have the resouces or skillsets to make full blown new games might be more tempoted to take these games to DSiware or other such services where their games would get more exposure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.