The 3DS May Not Die For a While, but...

81i+HSq6KjL._SL1500_.jpg
In an interview with TIME, Reggie Fils-Aime of NoA implied that the 3DS will continue alongside the Switch as a product marketed at younger consumers that want their own personal console. While the 3DS has always been seen as something geared toward a younger audience what with its plethora of family friendly games, this may imply that future games may or may not have the older consumer in mind.

Reggie to TIME said:
The Nintendo Switch, being a system that’s been in the marketplace now only seven months, certainly that’s a system that our teams will continue to develop for and bring fantastic new experiences. We have to do that to keep driving that platform forward. We view the 3DS as a very important part of our lineup, but really targeted against a different consumer. That product is really focused against new consumers in the Nintendo family, [such as] five, six, seven or 10-year olds [who want] their own dedicated system. And a system [on which] they can play all of these great games. So it’s going to have a different focus: entry consumers and consumers looking for a little bit more value.

So that’s how they’re differentiated. There will be new games for the 3DS line, so we’re not in any way stopping our activity for that platform. But it’s just focused on a different type of consumer.

:arrow:Source

Joom

 ❤❤❤
OP
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the 3ds will become a weeb port platform like the Vita :P
I'm thinking it's just going to become a dumping ground for shovelware. With the Switch already being portable I don't see Nintendo releasing another handheld any time soon, so the 3DS will probably live on with absolutely no focus from major developers. Then again, the Switch is getting a six year old game that people are going batshit over, so maybe some more N64 remakes will come to the 3DS. Though I guess I can shit in one hand and wish in the other, and see which one fills up first.

D

Deleted User

I'm thinking it's just going to become a dumping ground for shovelware. With the Switch already being portable I don't see Nintendo releasing another handheld any time soon, so the 3DS will probably live on with absolutely no focus from major developers. Then again, the Switch is getting a six year old game that people are going batshit over, so maybe some more N64 remakes will come to the 3DS. Though I guess I can shit in one hand and wish in the other, and see which one fills up first.
konosuba game on 3ds better come first!

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. Hope this means Nintendo is going to slowly let the 3ds die off within the next year or two. I love the 3ds, but now that the switch is out and doing well it's time to jump ship to developing games mainly for the switch only.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
OP
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. Hope this means Nintendo is going to slowly let the 3ds die off within the next year or two. I love the 3ds, but now that the switch is out and doing well it's time to jump ship to developing games mainly for the switch only.
So long as Capcom continues releasing Monster Hunters I'll be content. I much prefer it as a handheld game anyway. The Switch can have the millions of Mario games to come.

rileysrjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So long as Capcom continues releasing Monster Hunters I'll be content. I much prefer it as a handheld game anyway. The Switch can have the millions of Mario games to come.
Good luck getting crapcom to support the 3ds. Now that they're releasing monster Hunter world and the crappy way they've handled monster Hunter on the switch I have a hunch they won't be going back to Nintendo or handheld consoles for a bit. I'd love to be proven wrong on that though.

Reactions: Gon Freecss

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Good luck getting crapcom to support the 3ds. Now that they're releasing monster Hunter world and the crappy way they've handled monster Hunter on the switch I have a hunch they won't be going back to Nintendo or handheld consoles for a bit. I'd love to be proven wrong on that though.
I doubt Monster Hunter World will kill all future console exclusive releases.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
OP
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Well, if MHW isn't a flop I can live with it. I've always wanted a western Monster Hunter PC game. I lose the portability, but meh. I don't have friends that play over Ad-hoc anymore anyway. Also, I don't own a Switch, so I have no idea what it's like in that regard. If it's as terribad as you suggest, then that's disappointing.

Reactions: Deleted User

rileysrjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt Monster Hunter World will kill all future console exclusive releases.
Don't get me wrong, I think monster Hunter will come to the switch eventually, whether it be world or maybe a new game as an exclusive. I think it'll be a couple years though before that happens. But the 3ds? No. That's ship has sailed in my eyes and I think crapcom's eyes also.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well, if MHW isn't a flop I can live with it. I've always wanted a western Monster Hunter PC game. I lose the portability, but meh. I don't have friends that play over Ad-hoc anymore anyway. Also, I don't own a Switch, so I have no idea what it's like in that regard. If it's as terribad as you suggest, then that's disappointing.
A PC monster Hunter game would be pretty awesome. Why aren't they doing that with world? The switch is a great console imo, crapcom is just being crapcom by refusing to localize monster Hunter xx to the switch for the west.

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a gazillon 3DS’ our there. It would be hard to just completely ignore it with that big of an install base.

That said, with it being completely blown open (hacked) and with the very aggressive upswing of the Switch my guess is you have one more solid year left (2018) then it will be where game go to die.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong, I think monster Hunter will come to the switch eventually, whether it be world or maybe a new game as an exclusive. I think it'll be a couple years though before that happens. But the 3ds? No. That's ship has sailed in my eyes and I think crapcom's eyes also.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A PC monster Hunter game would be pretty awesome. Why aren't they doing that with world? The switch is a great console imo, crapcom is just being crapcom by refusing to localize monster Hunter xx to the switch for the west.
World is coming to PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.