The 3DS May Not Die For a While, but...

81i+HSq6KjL._SL1500_.jpg
In an interview with TIME, Reggie Fils-Aime of NoA implied that the 3DS will continue alongside the Switch as a product marketed at younger consumers that want their own personal console. While the 3DS has always been seen as something geared toward a younger audience what with its plethora of family friendly games, this may imply that future games may or may not have the older consumer in mind.

Reggie to TIME said:
The Nintendo Switch, being a system that’s been in the marketplace now only seven months, certainly that’s a system that our teams will continue to develop for and bring fantastic new experiences. We have to do that to keep driving that platform forward. We view the 3DS as a very important part of our lineup, but really targeted against a different consumer. That product is really focused against new consumers in the Nintendo family, [such as] five, six, seven or 10-year olds [who want] their own dedicated system. And a system [on which] they can play all of these great games. So it’s going to have a different focus: entry consumers and consumers looking for a little bit more value.

So that’s how they’re differentiated. There will be new games for the 3DS line, so we’re not in any way stopping our activity for that platform. But it’s just focused on a different type of consumer.

:arrow:Source

haxan

Trophies
XP
Country
"This is now our little kid system" That is usually code for sunsetting a system. We'll see.
3ds is still really popular in Japan but the switch is taking off.

Maybe the 3ds will become a weeb port platform like the Vita :P

nah the vita died with no games. 3ds has an actual library lol

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If they ever discontinue at least offer 3ds repairs for 5 plus more years.

Depending upon where they sell it then it is a legal requirement. In the UK it would fall under the sale of goods act (you have to provide goods which last for a reasonable period of time), much of Europe has similar laws (it was probably an EU directive that kicked it all off) and loads of other countries do too.

3ds has an actual library lol
You reckon? Compared to the GBA and DS the 3ds was weak as you like, for me to the point I can quite happily say skip it or if you are looking at a 3ds and DS then pick whichever fits your hands better + provisos for GBA.

jamespoo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
i hope the 3ds stays around for a long time as i think its the best console ever made just never liked the 3d on it

i never liked the nintendo switch just feels like a cheap overpriced tablet pc

Last edited by jamespoo,
Reactions: SushiKing

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hope the 3ds stays around for a long time as i think its the best console ever made just never liked the 3d on it

The specs are ancient, it's gonna die, everyone is moving to the switch lol

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I mean, even that sounds like too much of a formula change from the normal of walking in Pokemon areas not knowing what will show up. I mean, the closes they got to this was environmental movements from Pokemon which you can try to avoid or the visible Pokemon that don't fight you. Not to mention, a big graphical change to the overworld. Making sure every Pokemon fits to scale, have enough Pokemon in the area and enough room to battle. Good luck doing that over water. It less about what Switch can handle and more of what the Pokemon company wants to do.

The randomization is kind of lessen too. Maybe the Pokemon change every time you enter and exit an area, but then you can just do that until you get the Pokemon you want and more easily avoid the others.

Also, press A? Why wouldn't they just attack, like every attacking Pokemon?
You can have some peaceful poke and some that attack. Like zubat's in the cave.

A common complaint is that Pokemon games follow the same formula, with barley any changes. So a change of pace might be what the company needs.

"Making sure every Pokemon fits to scale, have enough Pokemon in the area and enough room to battle."
With a big open world is possible. If xenoblade on wii can pull it off I'm sure the switch can.

So the Pokemon company has choices either give people the same thing over and over or give people something different. If people want the same thing then thats what they're gonna get, and they have no right to complain that its the same formula they're getting, and no right to rate it lower based on that.
Its not so much what the poke company wants but the consumer. Consumers control how products are made. Companies just go to wherever the demand is.

"The randomization is kind of lessen too. Maybe the Pokemon change every time you enter and exit an area, but then you can just do that until you get the Pokemon you want and more easily avoid the others."
The randomization is a part of what makes pokemon, pokemon. Its like a lottery to find rare poke's in the grass so they are more valuable. But with breeding and online trading just how rare are they now? Is the randomization actually a fun aspect of the game? Many people don't want to waste time with lottery searching for poke, and just want to catch the pokemon already to get to training right away. Same with random battles, walking a few steps in grass then battle, walking more few steps then battle again. Do people actually find that enjoyable?

Im not sure what the majority of people want in these games. Its more of a question I'm asking. if people want the same formula like previous games then give to them. If not then changing it up wouldn't be so bad.

D

Deleted-401606

I imagine you'd have a hard time arguing with one anyway seeing as you don't even have a rebuttal for me.

You gave no argument. You condescendingly gave your opinion on a few things and you have a smart alec complex. Not everything you think is fact more so than it is your opinion,nintendo does not make games catered for adults. You said the zelda remasters were made for adults on the 3ds(they weren't since most 3ds owners are teeny boppers like yourself). Assuming that they were,how old do you think these adults where when they played the originals on the n64? Most n64 zelda fans started the game out as young as 5 or 6 years old. Just because nintendo makes games that adults can sometimes enjoy,doesn't mean that they cater to adults.

Just because adults watch My Little Pony,does not mean that the show is made for adults.What did you want nintendo to say?The nintendo 3ds is still being sold/games are still being produced because it is still highly profitable and it doesn't make business sense to get rid of it at this time.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo makes games for everyone. Not sure why some people are so stuck on, one vs the other.
You reckon?
I'm pretty sure a lot of people "reckon".

I like the 3ds and 3d, but that's funny that you say that about the Switch, when it is one of the strongest portable things in the market while the 3ds is like ~6 years old.

With a big open world is possible. If xenoblade on wii can pull it off I'm sure the switch can.

A common complaint is that Pokemon games follow the same formula, with barley any changes. So a change of pace might be what the company needs.

So the Pokemon company has choices either give people the same thing over and over or give people something different. If people want the same thing then thats what they're gonna get, and they have no right to complain that its the same formula they're getting, and no right to rate it lower based on that.
Its not so much what the poke company wants but the consumer. Consumers control how products are made. Companies just go to wherever the demand is.

The randomization is a part of what makes pokemon, pokemon. Its like a lottery to find rare poke's in the grass so they are more valuable. But with breeding and online trading just how rare are they now? Is the randomization actually a fun aspect of the game? Many people don't want to waste time with lottery searching for poke, and just want to catch the pokemon already to get to training right away. Same with random battles, walking a few steps in grass then battle, walking more few steps then battle again. Do people actually find that enjoyable?

Im not sure what the majority of people want in these games. Its more of a question I'm asking. if people want the same formula like previous games then give to them. If not then changing it up wouldn't be so bad.
It is not about rather it is possible or not. It depends on if they want change the main Pokemon games that much. I'm not necessarily against it, but like I said, it doesn't sound like a main Pokemon title. Also, tbh, it seems like a lot of work to create a Xenoblade or Zelda overworld to go right back to turn-base battles. In fact, speaking of Xenoblade, the Pokemon show attack automatically in battle while you give off commands.

They have did and are doing different things. Funnily enough, changes that some people don't like. Not just as drastic as you are saying here and I don't think them not being as drastic will lower sells. It is not even guaranteed that the majority of people would even care about such a change, let alone like it.

Not like I can speak for the majority, but I'm sure a lot of people like the randomization of Pokemon. It really hard to tell who is the majority, but I'm sure a lot of people would by a more graphical Pokemon with changes to the game that don't change the basic formula so much.

Forgot to mention, such a change would more likely bring in the $60 price tag as well.

D

Deleted-401606

Then how exactly was I being argumentative if I gave no argument? I get why you said that this reads like" fake news" now.

Because I can read between the lines. Your post came across as aggressive and like you were trying to pick an argument. You are arguing with me right now. You are one of "those" that get their jollies off picking meaningless arguments and even when you are wrong you will insist you are right. Your opinion means very little outside to you and your mother. You really made a thread stating nintendo makes games for kids,really? Who would have thought that?

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I actually can't wait for the Mario Party Top 100 that comes out on November 10.
What I imagine is a menu that you can choose what minigame to play.

But hopefully there's more since the game is going to be $40, so hopefully there are also a few board games to play, otherwise it would be a bit expensive for just a menu with the minigames and nothing else :P

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
You reckon? Compared to the GBA and DS the 3ds was weak as you like, for me to the point I can quite happily say skip it or if you are looking at a 3ds and DS then pick whichever fits your hands better + provisos for GBA.
Yea. 3DS has week library. You can play only 3DS, DS, GBA, SNES, NES and other emulated games. Really small library.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Open world Pokémon would be really flawed. The further you advance in the games the stronger the Pokémon you battle become. This wouldn't work well with an open world because you would still be severely limited in what you can do. Pokémon levels would have to scale with your party but then levelling your lower level Pokémon would be way too hard.

Reactions: AyanamiRei
D

Deleted User

The 3DS should die. The Switch's hardware is shit but workable. The 3DS's hardware sucks balls.

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hardware means nothing. You can create a decent game that will work on a toaster and you can create shit with bloated requirements. The creativity of game developer is what matters.

The real reason why 3DS should be abandoned is because of how vulnerable it is. Nintendo can release new, good games on 3DS but they will never cash in as much money as they expect because there WILL BE people abusing their faulty system for pirating. But on the other hand, they have no good replacement for 3DS for now - Switch is completely different system that is directed to completely different group of players, it can't replace 3DS.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The 3DS should die. The Switch's hardware is shit but workable. The 3DS's hardware sucks balls.
The 3DS' hardware is still completely workable. You're not gonna get Skyrim running on it but there is still a lot that can be done with it. It's not about what can run, it's about utilizing the hardware properly and making a game for it.
Yea. 3DS has week library. You can play only 3DS, DS, GBA, SNES, NES and other emulated games. Really small library.
There are limited virtual console releases and injections and homebrew emulated stuff don't count. DS games don't count either. It's about what the 3DS actually has released for it.

Reactions: AyanamiRei

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Exhausted but happy lol