The 3DS May Not Die For a While, but...

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Joom, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ The Adorable Enby

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    Nintendo, it's time to stop. I love my 3DS, but it's getting to the point where the system is starting to over stay it's welcome. They have their new "handheld," start supporting that and move on already!

Subtle Demise likes this.
  2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    The NES was discontinued in '03.
    20 year run from '83 to '03, will the 3DS suffer the same fate?

AyanamiRei likes this.
  3. AyanamiRei

AyanamiRei GBAtemp Fan

Sep 24, 2015
    France
    So, european countries won't even get the Yokai Watch 3 trio of games? -_-" Great, yet another Inazuma. Between those two titles, the Danball Senki 2-3, SnackWorld and the next Switch/3DS Inazuma, we missed a lot of games from them.

4. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Hah, i'm sure the 3DS's still gonna get games for a year or two at least. Even if not first party ones.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    This is a bad move - Nintendo should kill the 3DS as quickly as possible and transition its userbase to the Switch. They should dedicate the next 2 years selling 3DS owners on the idea that the Switch is the next big thing instead of sleeping in two beds at the same time. As successful as the company is, it's not a huge software powerhouse - they can only make so many games within a limited time and that time should be dedicated to the Switch. The 3DS has a big library and support will continue with or without Nintendo's participation in the process. The console should be retired, it has its time.

Tom Bombadildo and Subtle Demise like this.
  6. MrShawnTRods

MrShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2011
    United Kingdom
    That's what every console manufacturer says every time.. nothing new.

7. Not going to get into this with an argumentative antsy teenager that has political beliefs based on what they are taught at the local high school.

8. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I think the 20 year run applies to the Japanese Famicom. Even so, the LAST officially licensed Famicom game was Adventure Island 4 which was released in 1994, 11 years after the console's release (although Nintendo's Wario's Woods was Nintendo's last release that same year). After that Nintendo still produced the console and also the spare parts for it even though NO games were being released for it until 2003 and stopped offering repairs in 2007.

As for the 3DS, in my opinion, games support will last for another year or two. As for repair support, the original 3DS is no longer being repaired by Nintendo earlier this year:

http://wwg.com/2017/05/09/nintendo-original-3ds-repairs-discontinued/

That's 6 years after the release so going by that logic, the 2DS might be discontinued either late next year or early 2019 while the New 2DS XL will be discontinued 2020-ish. I'm sure some third party developers will still go and develop for the 3DS because of the large install base but that would be like saying, "I'll develop for the PS2 because it's sold millions and is now in almost everyone's household".

DinohScene likes this.
  9. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Another pretty "bad" move, I think.

Focusing the system on little kids? I've sold plenty of units to people my age who wanted to replay the classic SNES games of their youths OR to guys who wanted to play the latest Pokemon. We all knew how the Wii U turned out - horribly, because even shovelware was hard to throw at it.

It's a pretty serious system, and I know I won't jump on the Vita/Switch train because of cost alone.

AyanamiRei likes this.
  10. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I think it's a smart business move. Look at it like this: there are millions of 2/3DS consoles (and they keep making more, even LE consoles), owners who may or may not have an extensive library, which can bring in a decent revenue if someone is just starting to collect games, and Nintendo can still keep investors happy, which is important; Switch has the problem of too many people, not enough consoles, so I feel like once there are enough Switch consoles in the market, then, Nintendo could let the 3DS dry out, but for now, it's a good idea to keep the people who support 3DS happy to keep the money rolling in while Switch builds momentum.

There's also this http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/upcoming-releases/ --if Wii U is still going to get Eshop releases, 3DS is probably going to get support for months.

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N likes this.
  11. tvoretz

tvoretz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2011
    United States
    Not that it's really relevant to your point, but Naughty Dog is owned by Sony, and has been since 2001. Uncharted is as much a Sony game as Gran Turismo.

12. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    As long as I keep charging the battery, the 3ds will not die.

13. YTElias

YTElias GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 23, 2017
    Germany
    Germany
    and some people wait for the EoL so the developers can drop kernel exploits
    lol

14. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    reggie, don't say a console fragile like that if for 10years old less! The 3D part that is the main feature of the console isn't recomended for 7- years old kids ...
    and making and " bulk" version without 3D still don't make it less " not for the target audience you are saiyng" ... are these guys reaally know what they are selling ? :/

15. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    In other words let it fill up with shovelware like the DS did so oblivious parents can buy shitty licensed games only for the sake of nintendo making more $$$

AyanamiRei likes this.
  16. SquidgyBean

SquidgyBean GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2016
    I really dont see why people seem to think that the 3ds and switch cant co exist. just cause theres a new console out does not mean to say theres no use for the 3ds anymore. just cause some of you have moved on does not mean you speak for others. yes the 3ds is years old but theres lots of life left in it as long as developers make the games. although i have a switch i still play my 3ds i just upgraded my old 3ds to a 2ds xl. i am hoping for another update to new leaf on the 3ds (been proven it has happened with welcone amiibo) also as well as one on the switch.

Last edited by SquidgyBean, Oct 29, 2017
  17. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    Its mostly because there's no legitimate reason for them to coexist. The 3DS has been out for quite a while and has peaked in terms of ability. The Switch is new and needs its time to shine. That's my take on it.

Ahmiyo likes this.
  18. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Feb 17, 2017
    Comoros
    I don't care. I just don't. Poke company is already focusing on switch after us/um. Just release an open world Pokemon game for the switch similar to Xenoblade chronicles and chrono trigger battle transition style. Maybe keep the turn based style? All Pokemon visible on screen and a big open world, pokemon scaled to size. You have big poke taller than you character and small ones. You can even come across trainers npc battling each other to make the place a living breathing world. And maybe even online players battling each other are visible.

Last edited by SG854, Oct 29, 2017
  19. eechigoo

eechigoo Gbatemp amphibian

Dec 22, 2016
    Mexico
    tu puta madre ;v
    Hmm. End of life will mean no more pesky little updates.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

20. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    DSi 1.4.5, eh? :)

AFAIK only "support" lasted until 2003, and that was since they were running out of parts... while multicart "developers" "supported" it software side at least until this decade :P

My opinion is that the Switch is as portable as listening to music with a tablet on the bus... The battery life is also lame, but so it was on all Nintendo products since current gen

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted