• Start date
  • Views 6,848
  • Replies 41
  • Likes 1

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
Hardware revisions, yes, as said, updating screens and the insides of the 3DS, surely that will happen. Major form redesigns though, probably would come, but as said, can't be anytime soon. A "Lite" is undesirable right now, as it is portable enough being based on the DS Lite form-factor. They would probably do it to extend the life of the 3DS, as with the "updated" DSi, which I skipped for the "dying" DS Lite. I think Nintendo should play it out a couple or so years and see what they really need to change, chuck that out and make more $$$. In the end it's all business. If a major redesign is the best move in some time, and when components get even cheaper for better performance, what's to stop them from incorporating those?

As with general consensus, I'd prefer an "XL" type of revision. Sure it's not very "portable" but it is still a handheld, which I would be great for some people's lifestyle.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
To those of you saying the the DSi was a revision of the DS/lite, it wasn't. There is software available on the DSi that it is impossible to play on the DS/lite, which makes it a new system, not a revision. If it was the case that it was only a revision, then a GBA was only a revision of the original gameboy and not a new system.

There is no need to add a second analog stick and extra buttons in a hardware revision at all. Anyone who thinks so is just nuts. Nintendo have not admitted anything about design flaws by releasing the addon, if that were the case, then they admitted design flaws when releasing the rumble/motion/slider/guitar hero pak for the DS, did you see any of those make it to a hardware revision?... what's that?... no?... of course not, because it would be stupid. Adding an analog stick at this point, would force devs to try to use it and prevent the millions of current 3DS owners from playing future games. Nintendo aren't stupid enough to do that.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
This topic AGAIN?! I don't believ.... oh. Oh, yes I do

Things....
The 3DS is small as they wanted a genuinely portable handheld, to show off all that lovely streetpass. A 3DSxl would be pointless- my DSphat barely fits in my pocket and I don't carry a manbag with me all the time so a larger console would irritate me as I'd miss out on streetpass hits.

Any redesign would most likely be the same size and shape but with better battery life and- if you feel it necessary- a better screen (I have never had a problem with the screen). Therefore it would still fit in the OPTIONAL second circle pad and retain portability. Actually why not just redesign the battery? And sell us that?

For the 3 millionth time Nintendo have never claimed that only one circle pad was a mistake, it is an optional extra that ensured them the MH franchise (I doubt it was even necessary, more a "how much do Ninty want this franchise") this generation, which- provided it retains popularity- will help them keep the Vita at bay in Japan

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been said pretty often around this forum that the 3DS won't have a redesign. I disagree.

you had to make a topic for this? are you kidding me?

who the hell said that the 3ds wont have a redesign? only people who are annoyed by the amount of topics like this, and they say "it wont happen soon", they dont say "it wil never happen stfu"

the next 3ds wont be launching for about 2 years~

gameboy 1989 - gameboy pocket (redesing) 1996
gameboy color 1998 - didnt had redesing
gameboy advance 2001 - gameboy sp (redesing) 2003
nintendo ds 2004 - nintendo ds lite (redesing) 2006

so unless you have a time machine there is no reason to make a topic about the nintendo 3ds redesing for about a year and a half

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
and the DS 3.

DSi =/= DS

it only got two, the original DS and then the DS Lite.
The DSi is a DS revision.

GBA - GBA SP - GB Micro
DS - DS Lite - DSi - DSi XL
3DS - ???
Nope. I think it's more like this:

GBA - GBA SP - GB Micro
DS - DS Lite
DSi - DSi XL
3DS - ???

I think the criteria to decide if a system is a redesign or entirely new is whether games made for the newer system play on the older one. DSi features are locked out on a DS/Lite so DSi is a new system. Sure it may be similar to a DS/Lite but it's still new.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
and the DS 3.

DSi =/= DS

it only got two, the original DS and then the DS Lite.
The DSi is a DS revision.

GBA - GBA SP - GB Micro
DS - DS Lite - DSi - DSi XL
3DS - ???
Nope. I think it's more like this:

GBA - GBA SP - GB Micro
DS - DS Lite
DSi - DSi XL
3DS - ???

I think the criteria to decide if a system is a redesign or entirely new is whether games made for the newer system play on the older one. DSi features are locked out on a DS/Lite so DSi is a new system. Sure it may be similar to a DS/Lite but it's still new.

Yes but even though DSi features are locked out as you say, retail games can still run on a regular DS. With the GB/GB color we started with games running on both systems ( but obviously in black and white on the GB ) but then we also got Only For Game Boy Colors games , which made it clear the system was capable of more then just present the same games with more colors.
Surely we have DSiWare, but still , I would call the DSi a redesign with improved online/functionality .

Anyway I couldn't care any less for a second slider, what I really would like is a slightly bigger 3DS ( more comfortable to hold ) with bigger screens ( LL ? ) , and then of course if that would create the much needed space to add a second slider a Z triggers , that would be more then welcome to.
The tiny 3DS screens ( compared to my sodokuhaxed DSiXL ) are the biggest issue that prevents me from switching over at this point, I'm too used to the XL.
Also, in recent years I upgraded from the Phat, to the Lite because of the better, brighter screens ( a big improvement IMO ) and then to the XL obviously for the size, but also for the improved viewing angle (tried to play Hotel dusk or any other game on a sidewise DS ? ) and also for the benefit of having a DSi which I skipped altogether .
So basically playing a DS game on the 3DS feels like a backwards step IMO.

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
@SpinalCord,

That is arguable. Becuase the DSI only had new digital software you could say it was a redesign of the DS Lite. One that offered digital content. However, DSi games also work with the DS Lite. So the actual Game Cards were not. I think Nintendo was just maximizing profits with the DSi. They had a product that was selling like crazy, obviously they were going to keep revising it and pumping it for cash. However, even if you were right, the DSi still had a redesign with the larger version available. So every nintendo handheld has had a redesign, and every single one will have a redesign, because that means more $$. It always takes a year or two though. It is a trend. A very obvious one.

I think this topic is sort of pointless because we all know one day their will be a redesign.
The real question should be: When will the redesign come? and What will be different?
Nintendo can't kick its old customers in the balls, so if they change the hardware all the games will have to continue to work with the older 3DS.
Just making a point, not trying to change the direction of the OPs thread.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
@SpinalCord,

However, DSi games also work with the DS Lite.

Show me one single DSiWare game running on a DS/Lite. The limitations preventing this are both software and hardware. Just because a system is 100% compatible with the software of its predecessor, does not make that system an upgrade, it just means its compatible.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is how the Nintendo Handhelds are properly grouped:

GameBoy - GameBoy Pocket - Gameboy Light
GameBoy Color (could play certain games that a regular gameboy couldn't)
GBA - GBA SP - GBA Micro - GBA SP (model 2 with the brighter backlight)
DS - DSlite
DSi - DSi XL (The DSi features games you can't play on a regular DS such as all of the DSiware, as well as features in DS games that can't be accessed without a DSi/3DS such as video chat in Pokemon Black and White)
3DS - ??

Reactions: 1 person

Ziggy Zigzagoon

Trophies
XP
Country
Since a few are talking about the possibility of a 3DS XL, I have to echo my wishes for such a size increase. After all, I now prefer the larger size of the DSiXL, especially with reading. Considering that the 3DS is already crammed, a larger size is probably inevitable.

Reactions: 1 person

Masterpaul

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Theres enough space even in the current DS form factor to add a 2nd analog stick. If they replace SD card slot with a micro SD card slot :-)

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
come guys... you all know how ninty likes to make countless revisions of his handhelds
it's a matter of time till the next 3DS revision hit the shelves

If nintendo is saying that there wont be a new revision, thats because they want to sell the current one. They cant do that, it would be something like: "Screw you, now that you all arealdy bought our shitty handhels, now we're gonna release a new improved one"

PyroJing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is all that I've been expecting out of the 3DS revision. I'd love to get one for all of that, but I'm not sure if I want to abandon my Zelda 3DS...

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
what i see if they did make a re design.
longer battery. (which they really don't have to release a redesign, just sell a newer version of the battery)
more 3d viewing angle. (& better screen.)
better camera 10mp. & front & back faceing 3d.
lower bottom screen rim. (& slightly bigger bottom screen.)(possibly multi touch)
turn the volume slider back into buttons.(like DSi had)
more internal storage, SDXL card support up to 1TB, & a USBusb compatible power jack.(to transfer pics/vids/music from 3ds or sd card to pc or wii u without removing sd card)

blue tooth compatible to use wiimote on 3ds, also bluetooth headset.

Nintendo 3DS U. hmm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hello