Hardware The 256 GB Micro Sd Scam by Lime and AliExpress

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Related video that I just remembered

LTT is a bit late to the party though. This has been common knowledge among nerds who shop online for years.
I think Transcend cards from China are legit. At least, they used to be. It's not a particularly popular brand and they're sort of cheap quality anyway so I guess they're not popular enough to clone. The one Transcend card I had failed after 6 months, all the file names got corrupted and the data was lost. Could not even format it anymore. So I'm not buying from them again.
Maybe I just had bad luck though, but I've owned so many SanDisk cards and a handful of Kingston cards and every single one of them still works fine except for the 128 GB SanDisk that was in my phone which had some random corruption scattered across it and CheckDisk remapped a bunch of clusters but ended up complaining that it ran out of remappable clusters which means there are still failed clusters on it As well as an older SanDisomewhere, although it does appear to be working fine after a format and passes all the tests I run on it including a full test of every cluster with Victoria. But definitely can't be trusted with any data I care about anymore. As well as an older SanDisk card which failed but I was able to recover the data with data recovery software, but I had that for a long time and used it in a couple different devices, so it was probably just worn out. And all the apps writing app data to the SD card constantly, and the apps I had stored on there probably contribute to the newer SanDisk wearing out after only a couple of years, so that's understandable.
And the one Transcend card I buy ends up failing outright within months, which is something that should in theory not happen to flash memory (clusters are supposed to just go read only once they are worn out which can certainly lead to data corruption but not of the entire card at once), so that says something about the overall quality to me. They probably just don't do the same amount of rigorous QA testing as more well known brands in order to save money.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

rsx

USA Modchip Installer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can also vouch for aliexpress. They're like any other e-commerce retailer, some bad and some good.

AliExpress.com_My_AliExpress_-_2020-02-02_06.54.40.png

Last edited by rsx,
Reactions: matias3ds

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I agree with people advising against Aliexpress.
Just don't overlook the fact that Amazon/Newegg/Bestbuy(...) rarely ship to developing countries (maybe some member outside US/EU can confirm this). That's why in developing countries most people use Aliexpress or ebay instead of Amazon.

matias3ds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I agree with people advising against Aliexpress.
Just don't overlook the fact that Amazon/Newegg/Bestbuy(...) rarely ship to developing countries (maybe some member outside US/EU can confirm this). That's why in developing countries most people use Aliexpress or ebay instead of Amazon.
Yeap sadly Amazon doesn't deliver to Argentina

Reactions: depaul

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be sure I test it with Faketest this are the results :
Yep, that is the expected result for faked capacity card or any flash drive.

Here is what a legit capacity drive should look like, except for some varying differences in the pics like capacity size, labeling and whatnot.
This test was actually carried out on a RAM Disk:
Windows 7 x64-2020-02-04-01-44-45.png

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Buying from Aliexpress or Banggood or other chinese stores is fine if you know what you are doing. But as mentioned earlier even if you get cards with legit capacity the flash or controller (or both) can still be shit and it breaks earlier than a known good brand one. So again. Be careful. They are cheaper for a reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.