The 100 classic book collection for DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by chrishull, Dec 8, 2008.

Dec 8, 2008
  1. chrishull
    OP

Newcomer chrishull Member

United Kingdom
    http://news.idealo.co.uk/news/4141/nintend...llins-deal.html

Nintendo will announce today plans to turn the Nintendo Ds into a digital reader with help from the publisher HarperCollins . The world-renowned handheld games console that has sold 2 million units in Britain alone will launch the 100 classic books on one game card available for around £20.

The card will contain classic books from authors such as Shakespeare, Charles Dickens and Jane Austin. The idea is to get people reading books that they would not usually buy, if the classic books card is a success Nintendo may broaden the selection available in the future.

Although Nintendo isn’t offering as many choices as other readers on the market like Sony’s reader, which is able to download thousands of books from the Waterstones website, the Nintendo DS is just under £100 less expensive.

The Nintendo Ds will let you flick through pages buy using the touch screen so it’s very user friendly a Nintendo executive mentioned: “When you go on holiday, or if you’re a commuter, lugging around a big paper book can be a bit of an inconvenience, now you’ve got this whole library you’re taking with you.”

The 100 classic book collection will be released on December 26, it’s Nintendo’s attempt at gaining a broader audience for the DS, Nintendo seem to realise the potential the DS has for everyday life being compact enough to fit in a pocket, not only can you train your brain daily on the console, you can even get cookery guides along with some great fun games such as the legendary Mario Kart.

2. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    As novel (no pun intended) an idea it is, after using what's been available from the homebrew scene, I have to say, the DS screens are too small to make for good, extended reading.

As a slightly off-topic aside, it's my hope that someday soon someone will make a digital reader that's compact but bigger than DS -- for the express purpose of selling college texts in digital form. The college-book industry is probably as corrupt as the pharmaceutical industry, and that shit needs to be fixed.

3. JDandy

Member JDandy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    First off, yay moonshell; you have made my life that much better. I find that the DS is just right for reading.
    Second; I am a pharmacy student (in the Netherlands) and I resent your accusation.

edit:
    As for the 100 classic book collection; the books they offer (there was a list somewhere) are not really my style, but I'm still curious as to how big the rom will be, and how well it will work (comfort of reading and such).

4. Kkolko

Member Kkolko GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    I disagree, I've read 3 books in the last week on the DS with Readmore, and it read perfectly. The files needed a bit of tweaking (No enters, ...) but it read just fine.

Though I must admit, a reader the size of the DS, but with the screen filling it whole would be nice [​IMG]

Edit: It has downloadable content [​IMG]

I found this list: http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=12637

5. santorix10

Member santorix10 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Seconded, DSLiris is working out for me pretty well as I can convert the 1GB of pirated books I have into xhtml but I'm still curious at to how they implemented the reader.

6. ENDscape

Member ENDscape REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!

Philippines
    I heard about this a few months ago. I think replacing books is not good. In the future, there will probably be no more books and its all ebook [​IMG]

7. Porkdish

Member Porkdish GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    The DS as a proper commercial ebook reader will not take off until it integrates with the DSi's micro sd slot to allow users to store downloaded ebooks on it for the commercial DSi e-reader application.

As for homebrew, I've been doing this for a year already with DSLibris.

Turned on its side its just like holding a little book and you soon forget the short line length, its like reading a newspaper article.

As for uncomfortable and hard to read? No. I read the entire Wheel of Time series (around 10.000 pages) on it over 4 months. Apart from a few sundays spent doing not much but reading, very comfortably lying down without any cramping or hassle page turning, most of it was read on the train and tram commuting. Often standing up!

Most of the 'oh no ebook' crowd haven't seriously tried one. My father was exactly the same until he got his iTouch and was able to read on it instead of a 'difficult to manage in bed' new release hard cover he'd got from the library.

Its essential that ebooks take off, its sheer stupidity to keep printing books in a world effected so drastically by climate change we engage in carbon trading.

8. agentgamma

Member agentgamma I dont know what to put here

Antarctica
    Can't integrate with a non-existent slot [​IMG]

9. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    I think it will be a good addition to the DS library. I will admit that I have only read 3-4 of the books on the list but it should keep me occupied when I run out of material.

10. JDandy

Netherlands
    True, the DSi has very nice possibilities to be a legal e-book reader.
    Personally, I prefer reading horizontally (ie not sideways), and can keep this up for very long amounts of time.
    But I do not agree with your closing statement; sheer stupidity to keep printing books? Writers need to make money off of books, and the best way to do this is to sell those loveable blocks of paper. Selling e-books is one of the most stupid ideas I can imagine, along with selling mp3's online. Things which can be pirated with zero effort should not be turned into commercial enterprises!
    As for the climate; I, for one, welcome our new ozon-hole overlords.

11. bumjeans

Member bumjeans GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Well theres this - http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wirel...e/dp/B000FI73MA

and

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/rd-reader-ebook/prs-505

12. spiritos

Newcomer spiritos Advanced Member

Israel
    read like 6 books on the DS already was pretty comfortable [​IMG]

13. Kkolko

Belgium
    An e-book reader needs 2 screens [​IMG]

14. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    I have downloaded both of these this morning to see which one works better. One major thing that i've noticed though... is the filetypes that can be used.
    Readmore is .txt and DSLibris is .xhtml. Now a quick question for you guys, what are you using for ebook conversion? I've found some simple .lit to .txt and .pdf. to .txt, but i can't find anything for a decent convert to .xhtml. Can you guys point me to links for these converters? I'd be extremely grateful!

Also, with this 100-in-1 Classic Book Collection cart, i see it has downloadable books... so, what do you think the ease of hacking these might be, for adding our own books to the listing on the cart?

15. Kkolko

Belgium
    Quite difficult I'm afraid, same problem as with the other readers: converting the books.

16. Porkdish

Member Porkdish GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Too late. Many many many... many books are already released in eBook format, and organisations like Google are well underway at digitally archiving anything they can get their hands on.

Writers need to make money, that's right. But how much of that bloated sticker price on a new release do they make? In my country books have escalated to ridiculous prices. $30 AUD (which is what? $50 US?) for a fucking paper back novel... Hard cover you might as well bend over at the counter. The same book I can get in digital format for like $5 to $10 US. The publisher gets a far smaller cut of that, the writer gets more per sale than per paper back edition and production costs (not JUST money but materials and emissions), delivery costs and trees are saved up the wazoo.

At such low prices its kind of hard to justify pirating a book of an author you really enjoy. On the reverse of that, what if the author is long dead? Should I still have to fork out wads of cash for a re-release that goes almost entirely to the publisher? Or pay a gouging price to a dealer for a hard to come by 'classic'? eBooks to the rescue. iTunes and the like make wads of cash from mp3s, despite the same content being available online for free. Some people really will pay for what they like and with ebooks there's less waste/costs.

17. JDandy

Netherlands
    Hm, you do raise some valid points, but just the same I'd rathest skidaddle over to Bookchan, and download whatever strikes my fancy for free. That's the problem with e-books; there's not really anything to prevent piracy. (Though I could be very very wrong on this.)

On one hand, I'm forced to agree with you, paper books are an enormous waste. But on the other... they do look quite nice in a cabinet.

Blegh. I'm interested in seeing how (and if) the DS will compete with commercial e-book readers.

18. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    This could be quite interesting and i wouldn't be surprised if it was easily hacked to read injected books.

When it comes out we better unpack the rom and check out the contents [​IMG]

19. bumjeans

Member bumjeans GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    hey guys. I am checking out DSlibris and was just wondering they decided on the XHTML format. What advantages does it have over plain text since the latter is the most common format for eBooks.

20. Kkolko

Belgium
    I have the same thing with ReadMore [​IMG]

Why did he choose for .bfont fonts? [​IMG]