That "The World Ends With You" Teaser...yeah it's just a i

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do know that I only ran down console names with little regard to if its dead or not but my point stands that they could've done something on the 3DS or DS atleast and give it some life like I said earlier an extended port or release it on the eShop.

But you could at least run down consoles with common sense.

Also they don't want market research, they want success.

Additionally, who the fuck would wish for a port of this to the 3DS? For Square Enix it really does nothing to expand the brand and for everyone else they're basically gonna end up rebuying the game. I guess people may go "oh well devil survivor overclocked" but even that felt like a stupid idea when they could've just done Devil Survivor 2 instead.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except they'd have to sell it for damn cheap on the iOS platform, I don't know very many people that pay a lot for games on there. And let's be honest, Square has never sold anything cheap on the store.
You may not know many people who would but there are people who do. They release something at a stupid price and it sells, their games stay in the top 10 selling titles for weeks and weeks.

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
iOS and Android markets are geared towards simple and cheap games. Square Enix apparently didn't get the memo, just look at FF dimensions: ~30 USD, for a game that's about the same production value as FFIV-V-VI. Needless to say, you could probably get all 3 of these games for the GBA (OR FF VII, VIII and IX on PSN) for the same price. Just like FF III for 15$?! When Angry Birds is sold for 1 USD and with this tactic, outsold every single video game franchise (YES, including Mario. Twofold. Pokemon fivefold and Final Fantasy tenfold. Just saying). I'm not saying iOS and Android are inferior platforms, I'm saying that Square Enix is using them in an asinine way. They're not meant for 30-hour epic RPGs by nature, they're not meant for complex games at all.

Needless to say, my expectations about SE recently are quickly dropping below zero. They screwed up almost every franchise they had: rushed FFXIII-2 and a sidelined Versus XIII, a second - and hopefully the last - abysmal online FF, more Kingdom Hearts spinoffs instead of a definite KH3, zero effort FFVII rerelease - after claiming a VII remake would ruin the FF series -, no sequel for the smash hit TWEWY, insulting 3DS owners with Theatrythm instead of a Dissidia game, and a Dragon Quest MMO?! Seriously, what were they even thinking? If their Tomb Raider reboot falls flat too, they'll be next in the pit beside EA and Bioware.

My advice: want a good JRPG? Mistwalker, Atlus, Level-5, Nippon Ichi or Bandai Namco. Forget about Square.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Except they'd have to sell it for damn cheap on the iOS platform, I don't know very many people that pay a lot for games on there. And let's be honest, Square has never sold anything cheap on the store.
You may not know many people who would but there are people who do. They release something at a stupid price and it sells, their games stay in the top 10 selling titles for weeks and weeks.

I'm not saying it doesn't sell, but is it enough of an investment I'm saying. I mean, if it sells even 50k on iOS, then what's stopping it from selling 50k on the Wii? Easily 50k would buy it on the Wii.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You do know that I only ran down console names with little regard to if its dead or not but my point stands that they could've done something on the 3DS or DS atleast and give it some life like I said earlier an extended port or release it on the eShop.

But you could at least run down consoles with common sense.

Also they don't want market research, they want success.

Additionally, who the fuck would wish for a port of this to the 3DS? For Square Enix it really does nothing to expand the brand and for everyone else they're basically gonna end up rebuying the game. I guess people may go "oh well devil survivor overclocked" but even that felt like a stupid idea when they could've just done Devil Survivor 2 instead.
I have to agree that a 3DS port would be a plain waste of money. They might as well reprint the original DS carts, those are playable in 3DSes too.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country

I'm not saying it doesn't sell, but is it enough of an investment I'm saying. I mean, if it sells even 50k on iOS, then what's stopping it from selling 50k on the Wii? Easily 50k would buy it on the Wii.
Indeed, It sold quite a lot for a first title in a new franchise.
In Japan, the game premiered as the second-best selling DS title during the week of July 27, 2007.[69]Nearly 193,000 units were sold in Japan by the end of 2007.[70] The World Ends with You sold 43,000 copies during April 2008 in North America.[71] The first shipment of the game sold out mid-May[72] and a second shipment was made in mid-June 2008.[73] The game was the top-selling DS title the week of its release[74] and again two weeks later.[75] As of September 30, 2008, The World Ends With You has sold approximately 140,000 copies in North America and 20,000 copies in Europe.

Quite a large numbers of sold games for a new franchise first title. (about 650k World wide)

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Ends_with_You
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/16116/the-world-ends-with-you/

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
but that still doesn't guarantee a success. I mean, come on, how would you have TWEWY on an iOS device? How would it play :O But im 2nd'ing the Wii part, nobody wants that anymore etc. etc.
Of course it doesn't but they're reaching out to a wider audience. How would it play? Don't you have an imagination? I can easily picture how it would play.

I'm not defending iOS, it does the job and nothing more but it's an attractive platform for developers like SE and their previous success with the platform has led them to release this game onto the service. They're not stupid, they have obviously done the research.
It's true that reaching out to a wider audience is a good marketing strategy, but I still have troubles imagining TWEWY on any kind of iOS device. The touching part is amazingly fitting, i gotta give that to SE, but I just have troubles seeing the TOP SCREEN combat in action on the iOS devices. If they're not implementing it, a core aspect of the game would be lost, thus pissing off everyone. Still, if they figure out a way to do it, we will again have to see if it'll be successfull.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They're apparently put in a new battle system and completely redrawn all of the graphics in HD.
For a fucking mobile release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osRNt8ai9FM

Last I checked the video it has 5 likes, 68 dislikes. People are pissed about this.

Reactions: 1 person

stab244

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're apparently put in a new battle system and completely redrawn all of the graphics in HD.
For a fucking mobile release.

Last I checked the video it has 5 likes, 68 dislikes. People are pissed about this.

I can't blame people for being pissed but they were the ones who had high expectations...

Anyways, the new battle system makes sense since there is a convenient lack of buttons on the iPhone (or most modern smartphones for that matter) that makes it hard to make it exactly as it was in the DS. As for whether this was worth such a huge hype up, no it was not. Just a PR release would have sufficed. Now they got a huge mob of angry fans. Great job, Square.

EDIT: Just went to the full site since it's up. Wow MSRP is $18 for the iPhone and $20 for the iPad. Go to [heck], Square. At least release it on Android too XD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol