Thanksgiving day differences between USA and Canada

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So today, i had changed the calender to october for when it happens tomorrow. I noticed that october 10 is Columbus day, but in canada is thanks giving day, usually is last thursday in november (Close to my birthday, sometimes on it) But i don't remember seeing it there before. Perhaps this calender is one that acknowledges international holidays opposed to the previous calenders.

So i started to wonder what are some holidays the two countries share that isn't on the same day? Is makes me think, i mean Canada is Part of North america, is a neighboring country, share lots of similarites but just some that goes without much thought or questioning. :unsure:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Oct 10, 2016
  2. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    I know we have family day shortly after valentines day that should be unique to USA. i don't think we have arbor day though

3. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    There is no family day on the calender, i think is more of a "Family day is every day" kind of thing, i dunno. I mean there is mothers day and fathers day, Grandparents day.... that about it. If family day was a holiday, is most likely thanksgiving or christmas.

4. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Tomato Hentai and ComeTurismO like this.
  5. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I never understood the different dates. Could someone explain what is this?

6. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Thanksgiving remind us not to be assholes and that preserving one's self is more important than merging.

7. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    I think each nation went through something significant that expressed gratitude for the enivornment or something that happened at different times and different years and every year they celebrated it annually and it turned into a holiday later on as the years went. unsure what exactly happened though

Tomato Hentai and VinsCool like this.
  8. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Paganism had Christmas, then Christianity turned it into their personal holiday and kill the original owner.

9. Engert

Engert I love me

Jan 21, 2012
    United States
    Taxachusetts
    This thanksgiving I'm planning to exterminate an entire race of people and then share a turkey with them for dinner.

Tomato Hentai and Yil like this.