Thailand military shoot at protesters, 3 protesters dead.

Vidboy10

Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Three people have been killed and 200 hurt in clashes in Thailand's capital, Bangkok, as troops tried to retake areas from anti-government protesters. Soldiers and police fired tear gas and rubber bullets as they advanced after dusk on the red-shirt protesters, who responded by throwing petrol bombs. The army has now called for a truce, saying its troops are retreating. The protesters, who want the government to call new elections, have been camped out in parts of the city for a month. Earlier, the security forces retook an anti-government TV station. Protesters overcame police outside the offices of the People Channel on Friday and temporarily put it back on air. TV footage showed officers shaking hands and smiling with protesters as they retreated. Meanwhile, hundreds of red-shirts are reported to have forced their way into government offices in the northern cities of Chiang Mai and Udon Thani in protest at the government crackdown in Bangkok. 'Explosion' After night fell in the capital, hundreds of soldiers and riot police advanced on a red-shirt camp near Phan Fah bridge and Rajdumnoen road, close to several government buildings and a UN office. Local media reported that both sides were firing weapons and detonating explosive devices. Images broadcast on television showed chaotic scenes, with clouds of tear gas enveloping the streets. Later, hospital officials confirmed that three people had been killed, including a journalist. An earlier offensive near Phan Fah bridge failed to clear the protesters' camp, and left five people injured with wounds caused by rubber bullets. The security forces also unsuccessfully sought to clear another protester camp nearby at the Kok Woa intersection. The army had earlier declared that it hoped to clear out the protesters from one site by dusk, and that it would employ "soft measures and hard measures". Government spokesman Panithan Wattanayakorn said that "if the security officers have to use force, they will do it with caution". The red-shirts - a loose coalition of left-wing activists and supporters of exiled former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra - want Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to dissolve parliament and call an election. They say Mr Abhisit came to power illegitimately in a parliamentary vote after a pro-Thaksin government was forced to step down. Mr Thaksin was ousted as prime minister in a military coup in 2006. prime minister in a military coup in 2006. They have vowed to defy the state of emergency declared on Wednesday with more rallies. Arrest warrants have been issued for several of the protest leaders. leaders.
Source

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
It's settled. The side with Gundams wins.

There's so much conflict in the world... Where is Celestial Being and GN-001 Exia when we need em?

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assassination said:
First the Polish President now this...ugh Rest in peace to those 3 protesters.
Im starting to hate my username lol

Second topic about death Ive seen you post in... I'm on to you.
ph34r.gif

D

Deleted User

Vidboy10 said:
luke_c said:
So now we are post every bit of news on BBC Temp
I don't post EVERYTHING from BBC, I mostly post the top stories.
And besides, BBC is the best and most trusted news network in my honest opinion.
Well, wouldn't we go to bbc.com (or wherever) if we wanted to read about these things? I mean, this is a gaming website. I understand that the occasional bit of news gets posted, but lately it's been way too much for my liking. Don't get me wrong, this is not about you in particular as I don't even know who posts all these general news stories.

Vidboy10

Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Takeshi said:
Well, wouldn't we go to bbc.com (or wherever) if we wanted to read about these things? I mean, this is a gaming website. I understand that the occasional bit of news gets posted, but lately it's been way too much for my liking. Don't get me wrong, this is not about you in particular as I don't even know who posts all these general news stories.
I post them because usually most of the general news sites don't allow commenting on there articles.
Yes, this is a gaming site but this is the "User Submitted News" section of the site. And why is it too much for your liking? And I'm the one who posts all the general news stories.

D

Deleted User

Vidboy10 said:
Takeshi said:
I post them because usually most of the general news sites don't allow commenting on there articles.
Yes, this is a gaming site but this is the "User Submitted News" section of the site. And why is it too much for your liking? And I'm the one who posts all the general news stories.
What I meant with my last sentence was that my post wasn't directed to anyone in particular and more generally speaking. I didn't want to offend you and instead state my opinion on this matter, which probably came out wrong--I'm not sure. It's "too much for my liking" as this (like I said before) is a gaming website and I mostly get my regular news elsewhere. Sure, this is the "User Submitted News" section, but I always thought of it as a section were you can submit gaming related news.

However, I wasn't implying that you should stop posting these stories only because I don't like to read about these things on GBAtemp, since nobody's forcing me to do so and that's not for me to decide. (just saying)
[/off-topic]

J

Jackreyes

Personally, I like seeing GBATemp reactions to actual news, rather than gaming news which in contrast matters very, very little.
Although the poll posted earlier I feel was right on the money, there should be a section for user submitted gaming news, and other news.

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I think it's kind of stupid to post the top BBC news stories of the day. At least you should get your facts right and tell the whole story. 15 are dead 4 of the dead were solders killed by violent protesters. 500 people, solders and protesters were injured. The protesters were using firebombs and guns.

J

Jackreyes

Pliskron said:
Well I think it's kind of stupid to post the top BBC news stories of the day. At least you should get your facts right and tell the whole story. 15 are dead 4 of the dead were solders killed by violent protesters.
You do realise that since the time of posting more people that were injured have probably died, right..? I remember seeing on the BBC site it saying 3 dead, and whilst it does infact say 15 now, that's only because time has passed...
Unless you expect OP to be updated every few minutes.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Why are we arguing about this shit?! Will you rather be ignorant and stay in a game world or at least take your daily dosage of reality every once in awhile!

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jackreyes said:
Pliskron said:
Well I think it's kind of stupid to post the top BBC news stories of the day. At least you should get your facts right and tell the whole story. 15 are dead 4 of the dead were solders killed by violent protesters.
You do realise that since the time of posting more people that were injured have probably died, right..? I remember seeing on the BBC site it saying 3 dead, and whilst it does infact say 15 now, that's only because time has passed...
Unless you expect OP to be updated every few minutes.
So you're saying this is an irrelevant post? Surly it's faulty information unless it's updated like the BBC but it's not so it's completely irrelevant.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)