OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ConsoleClassicFinal-Results.png

The results are in, the DS has won. Are you not entertained?

ConsoleClassic-final.jpg

I got my launch DS for xmas '04 with Super Mario 64 DS (A decent port that didn't hold up well on the DS' digital controls) and Yoshi's Touch & Go (a shallow tech demo of what the DS can do).

I was a little unimpressed after I'd spent some time with those games. I didn't think that anyone would ever use the Pictochat function (I never did), and I was very put out by the bulk of the thing.

Before long the Nintendo DS began to grow on me.

I used my Supercard CF in conjunction with, first a PassMe (yes, I still have it), then a SuperPass, then a SuperPass 2 to play DS ROMs on my DS. I have to say, with the CF card sticking out the bottom, and the PassMe device with a cartridge sticking out the top, that was the worst looking setup to have on the bus to school.

Before long the cards began to improve, and I bought a DS-X for it's internal storage, and then a CycloDS for it's expandable storage. Since then I've settled in with an AceKard2i and a Supercard DS Two.

This whole time I was expanding my DS collection, buying game after game, until I ended up with the 100+ titles in my collection today. I also managed to pick up every iteration of the handheld as they were released, and mostly use my DSi XL and 3DS to play my DS games these days.

Some of my favourite games in my collection are:
-Monster Tale
-Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure
-Chrono Trigger DS
-Super Mario 64 DS (much better with the 3DS' analogue stick. It's a fantastic game)
-Pokemon games (main series)
-100 Classic Books, English and French versions (I know it's silly, but before I got a Kobo, this was great)
-Advance Wars DS
-Castlevania Dawn of Souls and Portrait of Ruin
-Mario & Luigi sequels
-Kirby's Canvas Curse and Mass Attack
-Professor Layton series
-Retro Game Challenge
-WarioWare Touched! and D.I.Y.
-Yoshi's Island DS
-New Super Mario Bros.
-Meteos
-Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks
-GTA: Chinatown Wars
-Final Fantasy - 4 Heroes of Light
-Contra 4
-Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
-KORG DS-10+ and M01 (synth programs)

I could go on.

The DS is a worthy selection as best video game system ever (as voted by GBATemp). Please share some memories of the system with us.

Thanks once again to everyone who made this whole thing possible by voting and commenting. I had a lot of fun doing this, and maybe it'll come back in a few years once we've gotten used to the newest generation and we have a WiiU, Xbox3, and PSOrbis to the mix.

Reactions: 1 person

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Quite a few good games on the DS, but the hardware limits it quite a bit. I'd have loved to see more from it, but quite a few games were limited by the screen res or hardware available (less vids etc)..

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I bought a DS and liked it. Than I got a PSP and discovered true gaming with awesome graphics.
It would seem that GBATemp disagrees with you on that point. :P
That's the problem with most polls. People just don't know the other option. Hell I have to say that some of the first rounds were hard to vote for since I knew little about the first consoles in terms of games. I've played quite a few games on different consoles from the NES era, but the consoles themselves are hard to obtain nowadays..

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a DS and liked it. Than I got a PSP and discovered true gaming with awesome graphics.

Well GBAtemp are group of mainstream conformist gamers. As a collective, they will never understand quality gaming.

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France

GBATemp

I'm quite happy the DS won, both had their great share of awesome games, but the DS introduced various and different gameplay types, and even if the hardware was limited, there was a lot of memorable games.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Then I noticed that the awesome graphics weren't so awesome, and that the games were mediocre. And thus I relegated it to an emulating machine.

With some occasional MHFU sessions. That's a GOOD game.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm glad the DS won, it's a well-deserted victory.

Shocker, innit? :lol:

My personal choice would be the PlayStation 2 as just like its predecessor it was a transition console between the old and the new, only bigger, better and stronger... But so is the DS. It has the roots of the old - Game and Watch clamshell design. It also has a bit of the new - a properly working touchscreen, wifi, free online (even if horrible) gameplay and sufficient specs. There isn't much one could ask for from it, and even thoug I still keep my PSP and my DS close together in hopes that they will have an uber child one day (the DS is black and the PSP is white, they don't seem to be interested in interracial intercourse... :( ) I can safetly say that the DS was and still is king.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
the only worthwhile game for the ds is phantasy star zero
While I agree that it is indeed awesome, I had a blast with others too.

The dual-screen + touchscreen design allowed for some awesome games like the Hotel Dusk series. Another Code was pretty solid aswell, and despite popular opinion, AgainDS. Nanashi no Game is another good example - I'm still waiting for a proper translation of that game, I literally can't wait. There's also Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick, Metroid Prime Hunters... way too many to enumerate. It has a lot of solid games.

And before you mention it yourself, I'm aware you're just trying to liven up the thread with some prowler spice. ;)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a DS for a time, but I eventually traded it in. The games were fine, but I figured that I would rather save the money for console games/other interests instead.

Anyway, I'd still argue that the PS2 was the superior console, but that will have to wait for Gahars' Console Classic 2012 Edition. Everyone gets a vote, but only mine counts!

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyway, I'd still argue that the PS2 was the superior console, but that will have to wait for Gahars' Console Classic 2012 Edition. Everyone gets a vote, but only mine counts!

I never knew you subscribed to the soviet model of elections.

I didn't, but I have always been looking for a good opportunity to work "Da" and "Comrade" into my vocabulary.

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I had a DS for a time, but I eventually traded it in. The games were fine, but I figured that I would rather save the money for console games/other interests instead.

think i'll pass

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...