Charmander is not pleased.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well well. Who would've thought that the Nintendo DS would be GBATemp's favourite handheld? Everyone, really. For more details, go here.

As always, rules:
Each week, video game history will be put to the test to see which console or handheld is the greatest. There can only be one!

Vote for your favourite and follow it through to the end as we try to determine GBATemp's favourite console/handheld!

Consoles and handhelds will face off in brackets comprised of their generation. Because there can only be one, in the event of a tie I will cast a tie-breaking vote. Once a winner has been declared for each generation, the console winners and the handheld winners will face off in individual brackets. Once an ultimate console and ultimate handheld have been chosen, they will face off against each other to see who is the greatest!

For a concrete example of the brackets, see the image at the bottom of this post.

So where are we now? We've whittled down till we have a slew of console winners, and we've already determined the best handheld. So what's next? We determine which console will be the best. I'm sceptical though. This one will be hard to call.

This Week's Challengers Are:

The Magnavox Odyssey
magnavoxodysseypeq.jpg

Fending off one some pretty lame consoles, this one's victory was attributed to it being the first console ever. While that's a nice distinction, will it be enough to win this battle? No...

The Atari 2600
atari2600a.jpg

One of the first video gaming successes, the Atari 2600 has such penetration that Atari couldn't even sell another system and had to keep pandering to the people who owned this thing. It's slew of unlicensed games were it's undoing in the early 1980s, will they be it's downfall in this competition? Probably....

The Nintendo Entertainment System/FAMICOM
nessystem.jpg

There was literally no contest for this little machine in this competition. The NES is what brought Nintendo to the limelight as one of the greater system manufacturers of all time. Will nostalgia be enough to get GBATemp to praise it above all others? Not sure...

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Super FAMICOM
Super_Nintendo_and_Famicom_thumb.jpg

Facing it's first real competition in the form Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, the SNES easily won this competition to secure itself as the GBATemp favourite of the fourth generation. Will it get more votes than the NES? Who knows?

The Nintendo 64
Nintendo_64.png

In a poll that genuinely disappointed a few folks, the Nintendo 64 trumped the PlayStation one, as well as some other systems that no one even voted for, to rule over the fifth generation. Surely the 64 won't do well in this poll... will it?

The Sony PlayStation 2
ps2-photo.jpg

Somehow ruining the Nintendo streak since the third generation, the PlayStation 2 beat the Gamecube by a wide margin. I predict the Nintendo vote to be split, while true blue Sony fans will only have the one place to go. Am I right? Probably not... but luckily we have a poll all ready to go to determine just that!

The Nintendo Wii
Wii.jpg

The latest, and apparently greatest (of the seventh generation at least), the Nintendo Wii took out the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 in one of the more surprising polls I've seen. Will this nostalgia machine garner enough votes to take down the PlayStation 2? We shall certainly see!

Housekeeping!!

We're almost there, guys! The winner of this round will go on to battle head to head with the winner of the handheld brackets, the Nintendo DS, for ultimate supremacy! Make this one count!

Here are how the brackets currently stand, in case you cared or missed the last few times I posted it:
ConsoleClassic-semifinal1bracket.jpg

Who will win? It could be you!*

*note: it can't be you.

See you all next week!

EDIT: The poll is now closed. I'll join you soon with the ever important results.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Now i'm stumped, for me there is 3 consoles i want to vote for, i need to think about this before i vote.

Tsuteto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SNES. I personally think it shaped how games are today. The base controller design it used it still in effect today (four buttons and shoulder buttons), and the change to it from the original NES was amazing.

Reactions: 3 people

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I voted the PS2 because of one game: Dark Cloud 2. I swear, this game is one I've had the worst luck on. 3 times my save has been corrupted by power outages, 2 times because of unintentional resets, and 2 times due to lost memory cards. All of them were at least over halfway through the game with 30+ hours of gameplay (one with 100 hours). Though, it's been my most played game that isn't an MMO, and I've had the most fun with this game. It's been my most awaited unannounced sequel, right in front of Battle Front 3.

Reactions: 1 person

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
PS2.

If you vote anything else then you have a bad taste in games and should feel bad.

Just because you like Sony doesn't mean that other people have to like Sony as well.

I personally dislike Sony yet the PS has some good games.

Also, it's a vote where people can give their opinion on consoles and games.
Opinions aren't facts!

Reactions: 3 people

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you vote Nintendo 64, you know what REAL games are.

Yeah, all five of them.

PS2 was 'okay' I never liked PS2.(

Hard to take that statement seriously with an avatar based off Okami.

Amaratsu is cool.(I play UmvsC3 on my Vita.) Never played Okami before and I was searching for a new avatar. :) Understandable?

Also check my previous post. All FIVE?! Pahahahaha that made my day.

Didn't you like Golden Eye 007 btw on N64?(I can remember you saying that. or you hated it. Sorry lol)

DinohScene exactly! ;D Thanks mate.

Reactions: 1 person

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amaratsu is cool.(I play UmvsC3 on my Vita.) Never played Okami before and I was searching for a new avatar. :) Understandable?

Also check my previous post. All FIVE?! Pahahahaha that made my day.

Didn't you like Golden Eye 007 btw on N64?(I can remember you saying that. or you hated it. Sorry lol)

Can't say I really think of highly of OoT/MM as other people do. Maybe the originators of the 3D Zelda but far from the best personally.

Mario Kart 64 was awful compared to Crash Team Racing.

SSB is SSB. It was fun back then but it's awful nowadays.

Conker, I can't argue, is pretty good.

DK64 is just a collect-a-thon, a common complaint of Rare platformers of the day. I really can't remember much of it though.

Never played DK Racing.

Also my joke was that you have an avatar based off Okami, which originated on the PS2, and you still say you don't like the PS2.

It's just incredibly hard to say the PS2 was not the greatest console ever. It had quantity and quality, the best exclusives of the generation, and it was also a goddamn DVD player. Mind you I didn't pick one up until a few years ago but it's still one of the finest gaming devices ever made.

EDIT: And Goldeneye is just pointless compared to Perfect Dark, which is awesome.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
PS2. Thinking from a non-nostalgic view, the PS2 was brilliant. It had a wonderful blend of different genres, MegaTen, MGS, Jak and Daxter, GTA and DMC which highlight the genre variation. MegaTen and MGS are two series which I absolutely adore. It amazes me much quality was available on it.

Regarding the other consoles, the Maganavox and Atari 2600 were a bit ahead of my head. The NES is console I do not care for at all, I'm European, I have a fucking Master System. The SNES is cool but I do feel its excessively hyped due to nostalgia. The N64 isn't even the best console of its generation. And same goes for the Wii, which honestly I've found to have a really disappointing game library and forced motion controls which just irritates me. Some games work well with it but other it just feels like a fucking hassle.

EDIT: Okami is really good. Get the PS2 version over the Wii version because the motion controls are irritating.

Reactions: 2 people

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
people are defending n64 due to nostalgia, hardly no worthwhile games at all and that controller is nothing to brag about
Just because a console has a lack of RPGs doesn't mean it's bad :D
EDIT I voted Wii, just because of the sheer amount of awesome games playable on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: