Charmander is not pleased.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well kids, what a first round we had! The memories, they come flooding back. Like it was just last week... That time someone voted for the Atari/Sears Pong. That other time no one voted for the the Coleco Telstar. Good times...

Enough of that nostalgic crap! It's time for nostalgic crap!

So, a quick recap of the rules:
Each week, video game history will be put to the test to see which console or handheld is the greatest. There can only be one!

Vote for your favourite and follow it through to the end as we try to determine GBATemp's favourite console/handheld!

Consoles and handhelds will face off in brackets comprised of their generation. Because there can only be one, in the event of a tie I will cast a tie-breaking vote. Once a winner has been declared for each generation, the console winners and the handheld winners will face off in individual brackets. Once an ultimate console and ultimate handheld have been chosen, they will face off against each other to see who is the greatest!

For a concrete example of the brackets, see the image at the bottom of this post.

What're we at now? Ah yes, the second generation. All parties involved in the first generation thought they did quite well (barring the minor and not well known Crash of 1977). But as is the way with electronics, the technology soon got out-dated and a race to release new consoles began. Sadly the general public was not ready for this kind of sales model. People had had the same TV for 10 years, the same record player for longer! Why were they expected to upgrade their video game console so soon? Weren't these things built to last? And it resulted in one thing that everyone should know about this generation: the crash of 1983.

This Generation is punctuated by lack of publisher control (companies unable to control the quality and quantity of games that are released), saturation of the hardware market (too many consoles, some competing with their own earlier models), the encroaching home computing boom, and the well-publicised and controversial releases of Pac-man and E.T. - The Extraterrestrial for the Atari 2600.

Join me! As we enter the breach.

This week's challengers are:

-The Atari 2600

atari2600a.jpg

While not the first console on the market, this was easily the first to make it to the mainstream! Ya hear that, hipsters? This shit was mainstream, so hands off! The Atari 2600 was released in October of 1977 to the US market and retailed for a whopping $199US. The console sold well initially and made tons and tons of money!

Like all things though, the good times didn’t last. The industry met what many people perceive as being market saturation, due to too many consoles being on the market at the same time. And due to unregulated developing the market became flooded with poor quality games.

To garner more sales, Atari paid a lot of money to get the rights to have a home version of Pac-Man made for the console. With people hotly anticipating the game’s release, the pressure was on. Sadly the 2600 hardware wasn’t up to the challenge of making a faithful re-creation of the arcade hit, and the game was sorely disappointing. The add insult to injury, the release of ET – The Extraterrestrial in the Christmas of ’83 disappointed and confused consumers. While I will maintain that it was not the worst game ever made, most people found the controls and gameplay inaccessible.

Atari began haemorrhaging money and the company came under new management as a result.

The Atari 2600 sold 30 million units and its best-selling game was, oddly enough, Pac-Man with 7 million units.

-The Fairchild Channel F

800pxfairchildchannelfs.png

Fairchild? Channel F? What the hell does it even mean?

Released in '76 for $169.95US, The Fairchild Channel F was one of those consoles that was hit hard by the crash in '77 due to the market being flooded with Pong clones.

The Channel F is noteworthy because of a unique feature it launched with: a pause button. Imagine playing a game and being able to stop, or 'pause' if you will, the action while you went to eat dinner. Weird, right?

The games, which were called Videocarts, and had as many as 26 official games (!!), initially sold for ~$20. That's pretty fantastic.

-The Magnavox Odyssey2

g7000.jpg

This cash register of a machine is the Magnavox Odyssey2 (pictured above is the European model, named the Philips Videopac G7000), successor to Round 1's victor. The console was released in 1978, a year many of you have never even heard of! It's first game was an ambitious Dungeons & Dragons-style game that had a story eerily similar to The Lord of the Rings. Due to the popularity of the Atari 2600, it had no third party support. Despite that chink in the armour, it sole 2 million units!

-The Intellivision

934175intellivision1.jpg

Ah yes. The Intellivision.Officially released to North American audiences in 1980, this console was noteworthy for having an online component. Online. In 1980. You could download games onto the system, but due to lack of a harddrive (as they were prohibitively expensive and small at the time) the system 'forgot' about the game as soon as you turned the system off. It also had a voice synthesis module for some games (you can imagine how it sounded).

By 1982 Intellivision was releasing new models and components and seemed to be doing well, but the market was getting divided more and more by newer, cheaper (sometimes shittier) consoles being released all the time. The Intellivision managed to steal a large chunk of the market from Atari, but untimately lost too much money in '83.

It's games are still periodically released under the title 'Intellivision Lives!' by the original programmers who bought up the rights when the company dive-bombed.

It's best-selling game was Major League Baseball and the console sold an estimated 3 million units.

-The ColecoVision

800pxcolecovisionconsol.jpg

Poor, poor Coleco. No love last round. Will someone love you this time? We can only hope.

My fiancé and I routinely play Monkey Acadamy (Konami, 1984) on our ColecoVision because we like to watch the monkeys dance when you get a question right.

After fairing well enough in their last outing into the market, the Connecticut Leather Company (Coleco) decided to release a more standardized console in the summer of '82. Can anyone guess how that went? Despite being a wonderful little system (with an odd little controller), and releasing over 140 games in the 2 years it was in production, Coleco could not completely bounce back from the crash of '83.

It's best selling game, BTW, was Donkey Kong.

-The Atari 5200

800pxatari5200consolese.png

What? Another Atari? The only thing you might know about this console is that it is bigger than an original Xbox.

Because of the aggressive ad campaign that Intellivision launched against Atari, it decided to release another console. The problem? It wasn't (initially) backwards compatible with 2600 cartridges and that confused consumers. An adapter was later introduced, but that may have been too late.

The 5200 was released in the winter of '82. Most noteworthy about this system was the inclusion of an analogue joystick. It reportedly sold close to 1 million units. It's most successful game was the pack-in, Super Breakout.

Housekeeping!! Woo!

And that's it for this week, folks! After you vote, don't forget to share a nice little anecdote with the community, let us know what you think.

Join me next week as we explore the enigmatic Third Generation, which features some consoles you may have actually heard of! (I promise)

And remember: vote now, vote often!

Check the spoiler window for the upcoming brackets!

consoleclassicgen1.jpg

Who will win? It could be you!*

Note: It can't be you.

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really, the Atari 2600 was in a league of its own; without, console gaming as we know it today probably wouldn't exist.

The Museum of the Moving Image in New York has an original Atari 2600 system for one of its exhibits; if that isn't a testament to its importance, I don't know what is.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Atari 2600. I had one when I was a child, too bad I didn't enjoy it :P

Years later, I've started to appreciate its nostalgia filled simplicity.

So there goes my vote.

Can't wait for the next threads :D

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Damn hard choice between 2600 and the 5200.

My family had a wooden Atari 2600 which they hooked up to let me play with it when I was little.
They also had a broken black 2600 and a 5200 with only 1 game.

Loved the 2600 and the 5200 both but my vote goes to the 2600 for it's wooden design.

thaddius

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Whoa! Lot's of atari 2600 love in the house.

I was born in the summer of '83 and my frugal dad thought it'd be a good idea to get an Atari 2600 when the market started to fall apart that year. He also managed to pick up a number of quality games. AND they were so cheap that he got TWO of each so that some could be saved. Now... I never played it. My dad realized that by the time I was old enough to play it that it was outdated and kinda useless, but he never threw it away. I grew up playing on an Apple ][ and an X86. In 1989 we got a NES for Xmas and the rest is boring stuff I'll share later...

Point is, my dad eventually gave me the system because he knows that I now collect video games. So now I have an original system in good condition, as well as a few boxed games!

It's really funny because they still have Zellers price tags on them that say $0.99 or $0.50. Never going to see prices like that again.

Still lots of time to vote, folks! And that Magnovox Odyssey and Intellivision aren't going to vote for themselves!

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Easy choice....good times abound playing in my tender years...so my vote is for ...

s_Pitfall_3.png

(Yes...the 2600...;))

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My vote goes to the Intellivision. Mostly because it's the only console listed whose games I've had any experience with. Mostly through the titles "Intellivision Lives!"

thaddius

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Wow. I don't think there'll be a tie this week...

24 hours of voting remain!

Get hyped, guys. You're going to like the next one.

thaddius

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The poll is now closed, people!

Do you guys hear that sound? That's the sound of a clear winner.

consoleclassicround02.png

Yes sir, the Atari 2600 wins by a landslide! Poor 5200; No love for you, my friend.

The 2600 will go on to face the rest of the console bracket winners. As for the rest of you, I'm afraid none of you have successors who will compete later on.

Fairchild, Magnavox, Intellivision and Coleco: It has been an honour, but the crowd has spoken.

Here are the brackets as they stand:

consoleclassicgen2.jpg

So exciting! Stay tuned for the next round, which will be posted momentarily. STAY TUNED, I SAY!

Reactions: 2 people

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my prediction (not my favourites)
consoleclassicgen2.jpg

I don’t know how the handheld bracket goes... Wikipedia says that the GameBoy it's a 4th gen console
Judging by the time period you use.... I just assume that it will be one gen per Nintendo handheld (not counting the Game&Watch)

thaddius

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, while the 87-96 gen is considered fourth gen, I relabelled the handheld one as first (because it's the first handheld gen, essentially) and the others followed suit. Hope it's not too confusing.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi