Text editing tool for Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by T.Kuranari, Sep 9, 2011.

1. T.Kuranari
    OP

Member T.Kuranari GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Since Aksys Games said via Twitter that they usually are not able to localize their games for europe because they are a US only company, most likely 999 will never make it to europe. Now I am willing to translate the game to other languages, but I lack experience with ROM hacking and ain't really interested to invest weeks or month to learn rom hacking. This is why I have a request, or actually just a suggestion, that someone makes an easy to use text editing tool for this game. There are tools for a lot of other games available and why not also for 999? So I would really appreciate it if someone with enough knowledge is willing to create such a tool.

Thanks.

2. Auryn

Member Auryn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    Sorry if it sound hard but if you don't want to invest weeks or months to learn, then stop before you even start.
    In translations there are 2 things that matter most: time and patience.
    If you don't have/ don't want to invest those 2 things, then let it be....better for all.

3. T.Kuranari
    OP

Japan
    I think you misunderstood me. I am willing to invest time and patience in the translation part, I just need someone who wants to make the hacking part. I am not aware of any single fan translation project with only one person doing everything. There are always several people with their own tasks in translation projects. Again, I just need someone who is willing to figure out how the text is handled in the game and to make a game specific text editing tool, which takes care of repointing etc.

That's all [​IMG]

4. DarkCrudus

Member DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    psycho did their stuff by themselves, cept the beta testing

5. T.Kuranari
    OP

Japan
    Not that it would mean, change, contribute or add anything usefull to this thread, but yea, that might be true, but still I am personally not aware of any fan translation project with only one person doing everything [​IMG]

6. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    you might want to edit your first post so you don't un-intentionally insult people that will help you. Or confuse people with what looks like a thread where the tool has been made....

have you found the text yet?
    have you found out what the encoding is?
    have you figured out if the game can easily be edited to take single byte characters?
    have you figured out how it is stored (control codes etc)?

these are all things a person who might make that tool are going to need to know before they make the tool.
    so why don't you help them by finding this out and then post it here.
    as knowing where the text is stored mainly (overlay files, arm9, or other files in the game) is very important.
    you also might want to find the pointers too....

(not trying to be mean, but this is along the lines of what they mean about investing the time to learn)

7. T.Kuranari
    OP

Japan
    As I implied with "Again, I just need someone who is willing to figure out how the text is handled in the game and to make a game specific text editing tool, which takes care of repointing etc.", I don't have the knowledge to deal with pointers. That's the work rom hackers do, not translators [​IMG] (I already tried, but failed)

8. rastsan

Canada
    my bad the one post not the first post. Sorry.

did you need help figuring this stuff out?
    well lets start this again... head over to romhacking.net and post a help wanted ad. you will probably get a better response there, for getting your tool made. be patient though....

Well knowing where the pointers are so they don't have to look might help them write the tool faster.
    not necessary for you to figure out but the less work for them the better for you.

I hope someone does decide to help you.

If no one does then you might want to look up sagatrans with source. If you change certain things in it (with a little fiddling) it could be your "easy to use text editing tool" . 999trans...
    you will need to know the control codes and take the time to figure out what/where pointers are though.

Still sounding mean, I really don't mean to....

9. Zaraf

Member Zaraf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    There is a HUGE amount of text in this game. Easily an entire novel. I doubt you will get much support for something like this. Rarely have I seen much effort to translate to languages other than English, and especially one that would require as much work as this one.

10. Auryn

Member Auryn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    and by the way...the most hacking/translation are made by 1-3 persons.
    There are only a view BIG project that have more people involved (example AAI2 with almost 20 at the moment).
    What Rastsan said about RHDN is a good idea but I doubt that somebody will make a program for you.
    By the way, it is not always necessary to have a custom made program... the old Cartographer/Atlas combination is still a good option.

The "successfull" projects are normally those that start from somebody with hacking experience/knowledge and get help from translators/graphic editors that have no or little hacking knowledge.

Anyway there was somebody in RHDN that wanted to do some work on 999 but he was a newbie too...I don't know if he still is trying.

11. T.Kuranari
    OP

Japan
    Thanks for your input guys, I'll look into sagatrans and see what I can do. Perhaps someone will have a tool made before I achive any progress myself [​IMG]

12. T.Kuranari
    OP

Japan
    I have no luck with sagatrans, ashtrans or any other translation tool source from DarthNemesis [​IMG]. I can't even read the source code as I'm no coder and don't intend to become one. I want just to dump the text via a tool, translate it, and reinsert it into the game.

13. rastsan

Canada
    I know, but this was a just in case, measure. if it goes on a year plus and you are still interested in translating this but nobody has made the tool for you.... then this might be your only option. (doing it yourself).

I know editing those files in hex is a pain. I myself do not use text inserters, as I would rather trust myself in getting the formatting/spacing right. That way if I do come across a new control code/format I can just as easily ad it to my list and work with it instead of waiting for the programmer to rebuild with it.

do as Auryn suggested and look up cartographer/atlas. It may not be exactly what you want but...