Texas court sides with Nintendo on Wii Remote patent, overturns previous jury verdict and $10m fine

6551259 (1).png

Back in 2017, Nintendo lost a court battle, where iLife Technologies took them to court, claiming that they originally had the patent for motion-sensing technology, and that the controllers used for the Nintendo Wii and Wii U both infringed upon them. Their patent was used for motion-sensing in the medical industry. iLife sought $144 million in damages, and after a jury deliberation, they were awarded a smaller sum of $10 million. Nintendo immediately filed for an appeal in court, and now, after two years, a verdict has been handed down. The federal courts in Dallas, Texas, have ruled that the patent was too vague and "impermissibly trying to cover the broad concept of using motion sensors to detect motion". With this ruling, the $10 million dollar fine against Nintendo has been thrown out, invalidating iLife's claims to the patent.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

wish they had been this active when bandai namco patented loading screen minigames.
they didn't become a staple of video games thanks to BN's stupidity

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

amazing that he can type on a drawing tablet

Reactions: banjo2

Ciphray

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The patent they had should never have been granted to begin with

it was a patent on making use of data from a motion sensor to determine motion

someone at the company said "Hey look at that hard drive protecting fall detection in my laptop! lets patent that for nothing in particular!"

seems like jurors just like to be able to say "I just awarded someone millions of dollars"

Last edited by Ciphray,

Immortallix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So uh... Can nintendo sell some brand new wiimotes in 2020 then? :P
At the very least could use some of those battery covers that have the sync button built in.

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, fuck nintendo.
Wish they had lost this case as punishment for charging users for online(not me I'm not stupid enough to pay em) and releasing port after port of old games we've already played. I'd rather see mario bros & kart on Xbox and playstation and do away with nintendo.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly, fuck nintendo.
Wish they had lost this case as punishment for charging users for online(not me I'm not stupid enough to pay em) and releasing port after port of old games we've already played. I'd rather see mario bros & kart on Xbox and playstation and do away with nintendo.
Lol calm down - I've just spent 20 bucks on a pizza and yr stressing out over 20 bucks a year

Franciscop98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Honestly, fuck nintendo.
You're mad at Nintendo for charging 20 bucks a month, and right after, you support Sonny and Microsoft who literally charge three times as much for their online. Nice logic there, buddy.

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're mad at Nintendo for charging 20 bucks a month, and right after, you support Sonny and Microsoft who literally charge three times as much for their online. Nice logic there, buddy.

Yes but Xbox is much more worth it. Consoles should have free online like PC has but at least you get something when paying for Xbox live, you get 4 games a month and not worthless SNES games. On a Nintendo console you're supposed to be able to turn it on and go straight online, no bs signing up, entering codes n all that shit. You're arguing against you're own pocket, think they call it a fanboy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things