Tetris Sound hack

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by FAST6191, Sep 11, 2006.

Sep 11, 2006

Tetris Sound hack by FAST6191 at 8:31 PM (6,057 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  2. Mike Hawk

Newcomer Mike Hawk Member

United States
    wow! friggin awesome man!
    couple of questions though:

does it work on Wifi?
    can you make another one but with the Mario 3 song?

3. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I really want to try this when I get a PC I can use. Is there any way you can make a hack that makes "single player, standard, vs cpu" more difficult ? ? ? ? ?

4. ShinaKitsune

Newcomer ShinaKitsune Advanced Member

United States
    the tetris theme song is korobeniki not kalinka

5. Pikaash2586

Member Pikaash2586 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ah, would someone mind creating one for the US version?

6. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    In the file structure, it's named karinka

7. ShinaKitsune

United States
    Interesting. Forgive me then.
    Kalinka is music B in the tengen verion, and korobeiniki is the "theme song" for tetris for the gameboy which the level 20 marathon mode music is a remix of.
    I also spelled it wrong in my original post
    edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris#Music

on the hack, cool, i really got tired of hearing mario for the first 10 levels... its ok, but too much. (that is if the hack is for the standard-marathon mode, if its not... then you can shoot me now since i am just blowing smoke... being thats the only thing i play in tetrisds :3)

8. zoharmodifier

Member zoharmodifier GBAtemp Regular

United States
    this actually sounds like an awesome hack, albeit very... minor. i second the vote for an US version patch. T_T

9. jhoff80

Member jhoff80 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm not sure what source you're using for the audio file, but there is a new Palm OS version of Tetris that has a great version of the original song.

10. IxthusTiger

Member IxthusTiger Cruddy's Buddy

United States
    I would like to add my own music to tetris DS.

11. omegatr0n

Member omegatr0n GBAtemp Regular

are you able to get the origanal music without editing...like can you unlock it

12. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Ok, you guys discussing the tetris music names know WAY too much about Tetris :wtf:

I am definately going to give this a whirl. A definate welcome to the world of tetris [​IMG]

13. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    OK this is a turnup for the books, I thought no-one would care.

What I did was repoint the soundfile so what it thought was mario was actually the "Tetris classic" song (go to the music test menu if you want a further demo). I could have sworn it was called the Kalinka though:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalinka (I know it is Wikipedia but check out the demo song at the end).

Yes it will work on wifi (the length of the file and the filesystem is untouched).

As for a US version, the US and Japanese version have the same soundfile except they are made up to 4megs by having 00's added to the end (the Eu version is 1.68megs or something).
    I will go make a patch but if you patched the Eu version dump the soundfile from the patched version, make it up to 4megs with 00's (I would personally just make it over 4megs and use GBATA's fix overdump) and finally re-import it will work fine.

If you want a mario hack, compared the differences in the patched version to get the place you have to patch find the offset of the mario file (I used the nice info made by SDATTOOL when I extracted it: http://djbouche.net/wp/sdat-stuff/ ) then do a "32bit unsigned long" byte flip on the offset (to make it DS compatible) and copy that over the repeated section in the patched file. (I will try and make it sound a bit easier but that is from memory).

As for the custom soundtrack the music files are SSEQ files (a very common DS sound format, others are BANK and SWAR if I recall) so you could probably insert and repoint the sound file (I would use a US/J version and add the new SSEQ into the 00's and repoint or you could use NDSTool and rebuild the filesystem (it would screw up some patchers though)).
    At this time I do not know how to turn windows midi into SSEQ (I am working on it) but you could easily use anther sseq file from another rom (I sense a Phoenix Wright tetris coming up).

Consult the DS soundfiles reverse engineered thread or my upcoming final release of GBA/DS rom hacking 101 (I left out the DS soundfile hacking section as it was not finished (I needed to do far more testing) for the taster release).

Edit:
    @omegatr0n the music I repointed to is the music you hear in the final few levels of the marathon mode (at least before you go to endless).

As for a "hard mode" hack, if you are saying level 5 against the CPU is too easy (I can beat it but I will be damned if I can do it more than 4 of 10 matches on a good day) then I bow to your Tetris mastery. A true hard mode hack would require someone to tweak the AI which is ever so slightly above me (ever so sllightly = about 5 years intensive learning).

14. ShinaKitsune

United States
    Yeah. The only mode I have played is marathon mode, and it plays a remix of Korobeiniki at level 20/40/etc in endless. (called "Ancient Tetris" in souncheck mode) I havn't applied the patch... so I don't know.

15. diew

Newcomer diew Advanced Member

United States
    Quick question. I downloaded the file and have a .nds.ips file. How do i patch this?

16. Evilmaster1985

Member Evilmaster1985 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is just awesome [​IMG]

I got indeed tired of mr mario bleeping trough my speakers.

Many respect keep up the good work FAST6191!

Greetz, Vistabuser.