Tetris 99 Maximus Cup tournament kicks off this weekend, offers prizes

IMG_3129.JPG

If you think you've got skill when it comes to Tetris, then you may want to get ready to prove it in the quirky battle royale that is Tetris 99. Nintendo will be holding an in-game competition that will last from March 8th (5:00 am PT) to March 11th (11:59 pm PT), that will allow for players to compete in the "Maximus Cup" tournament. The 999 best competitors in North America will each be given an award in the form of 999 My Nintendo Gold points, which can convert to $9.99 on the eShop. Nintendo of Europe is also holding a similar competition, with a slight difference in that any player that wins at least one round will be entered in for a chance to receive €/£9.99.

:arrow: Source

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sadly, my free trial of Nintendo Online ran out two days ago. I already got 5 wins and might stand a chance with a little more training.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
That's fun!
I'm sure as heck not in the top 1000, but with a bit of luck you'll never know what happens.

One thing I noticed while playing the other day, I think I came across some kind of cheater, or there was a bug.
Note that in my ~30 years of life, I've been playing a lot of Tetris, so I am pretty quick.
When I started one game, I managed to quick-drop 3 pieces. Then I got hit with junk lines from ONE attacker! And it wasn't just a line or two. No, it filled me right up to a game over. in 5 seconds. That was WEEEEEIRD

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2000? It's practically 1000*10 = 10,000. This is a cool way to get people to play the game though, and not something I would have expected Nintendo to do.

i need to stop doing math in my head, I ALWAYS mess up decimal points lmfao

Forgot a 9 somewhere lol

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what the minimum amount of wins it will take to rank will be. My best place is still 2nd but I think I'm gonna try for the top 999. I wish they had a tournament for "consistently in the top 10 but not good enough for gold"

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's fun!
I'm sure as heck not in the top 1000, but with a bit of luck you'll never know what happens.

One thing I noticed while playing the other day, I think I came across some kind of cheater, or there was a bug.
Note that in my ~30 years of life, I've been playing a lot of Tetris, so I am pretty quick.
When I started one game, I managed to quick-drop 3 pieces. Then I got hit with junk lines from ONE attacker! And it wasn't just a line or two. No, it filled me right up to a game over. in 5 seconds. That was WEEEEEIRD
The only thing I could think of that would send an insane amount of garbage in the first 5 seconds is a Perfect Clear opener, but even that should send like 14 lines, not 20.

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I prefer Puyo Puyo over Tetris, but I still had fun checking this one out. I made it to the Top 10 of my first match, though I was quickly beaten up by a wave of garbage shortly after. Setting my experience aside, I didn't expect them to start holding tournaments for this at all (unless that was mentioned in the Direct and I just forgot about it), let alone digital prizes. I wonder for how long they'll keep doing these.

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, Americans are getting the least ($9.99 = 8.84€), European players, except for the UK are in the middle (9.99€) and the UK gets the most (£9.99 = 11.65€).

I was wondering about that, when I saw all those currencies in this article.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 999 best competitors in North America will each be given an award in the form of 999 My Nintendo Gold points, which can convert to $9.99 on the eShop.

Couldn't be a free game, or at least $20.... But whatever I don't turn my switch online anyway ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.