1. 2,382

Front-page
    IMG_3129.JPG

If you think you've got skill when it comes to Tetris, then you may want to get ready to prove it in the quirky battle royale that is Tetris 99. Nintendo will be holding an in-game competition that will last from March 8th (5:00 am PT) to March 11th (11:59 pm PT), that will allow for players to compete in the "Maximus Cup" tournament. The 999 best competitors in North America will each be given an award in the form of 999 My Nintendo Gold points, which can convert to $9.99 on the eShop. Nintendo of Europe is also holding a similar competition, with a slight difference in that any player that wins at least one round will be entered in for a chance to receive €/£9.99.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (17 replies)

3. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Well, that's a very high number of winners. I still stand no chance, of course, because there are a surprisingly high number of people who have been Tetris devotees since the 80s.

4. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    Nice. Now I wish Atmo had emuNAND already. Good luck to everyone participating.

5. Taffy

Taffy jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr

United States
    999*9.99 = they're giving away about 19 cents short of 2000 dollars total.

Neat.

6. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Netherlands
    2000? It's practically 1000*10 = 10,000. This is a cool way to get people to play the game though, and not something I would have expected Nintendo to do.

lexarvn and Taffy like this.
  7. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Gambia, The
    That's really neat. Good luck everyone!

8. Mythical

Mythical GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I respect it. gl all (I am no way winning this)

9. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    Sadly, my free trial of Nintendo Online ran out two days ago. I already got 5 wins and might stand a chance with a little more training.

10. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    What was considered a "Special offer for nintendo online members" became a reward for "competitive players"
    I'm still waiting for special offers Nintendo. Increased discounts, dlc gifts, THEMES! SOMETHING!? :blink:

Der_Blockbuster likes this.
  11. Issac

Issac I
    Supervisor

Sweden
    That's fun!
    I'm sure as heck not in the top 1000, but with a bit of luck you'll never know what happens.

One thing I noticed while playing the other day, I think I came across some kind of cheater, or there was a bug.
    Note that in my ~30 years of life, I've been playing a lot of Tetris, so I am pretty quick.
    When I started one game, I managed to quick-drop 3 pieces. Then I got hit with junk lines from ONE attacker! And it wasn't just a line or two. No, it filled me right up to a game over. in 5 seconds. That was WEEEEEIRD

12. Taffy

Taffy jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr

United States
    i need to stop doing math in my head, I ALWAYS mess up decimal points lmfao

Forgot a 9 somewhere lol

13. MiiJack

MiiJack GBAtemp Regular

Madagascar
    Boom, Tetris for Jeff...
    Wumbo and some Japanese player will win this for sure :P

14. Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo Your friendly neighborhood idiot

United States
    I wonder what the minimum amount of wins it will take to rank will be. My best place is still 2nd but I think I'm gonna try for the top 999. I wish they had a tournament for "consistently in the top 10 but not good enough for gold"

15. JFizDaWiz

JFizDaWiz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    oh cool free 999 points. Tetris Ultimate for 3DS i had a top 100 Global and Top 50 USA score in Endless mode.

16. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Netherlands
    The only thing I could think of that would send an insane amount of garbage in the first 5 seconds is a Perfect Clear opener, but even that should send like 14 lines, not 20.

17. KyleHyde

KyleHyde GBAtemp Regular

Puerto Rico
    I prefer Puyo Puyo over Tetris, but I still had fun checking this one out. I made it to the Top 10 of my first match, though I was quickly beaten up by a wave of garbage shortly after. Setting my experience aside, I didn't expect them to start holding tournaments for this at all (unless that was mentioned in the Direct and I just forgot about it), let alone digital prizes. I wonder for how long they'll keep doing these.

18. seseiSeki

seseiSeki Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    So, Americans are getting the least ($9.99 = 8.84€), European players, except for the UK are in the middle (9.99€) and the UK gets the most (£9.99 = 11.65€).

I was wondering about that, when I saw all those currencies in this article.

19. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    The 999 best competitors in North America will each be given an award in the form of 999 My Nintendo Gold points, which can convert to $9.99 on the eShop.

Couldn't be a free game, or at least $20.... But whatever I don't turn my switch online anyway ;)

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - tournament, Maximus, weekend