Testpoints for rewiring a cartridge slot on a old 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by TomTheDragon, Feb 11, 2016.

1. TomTheDragon
    OP

TomTheDragon Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Hey Hey,

i did a hardware mod to be able to backup or reflash my nand, because i did update my 3DS by accident to the newest version.
    After the mod, i could reflash an old backup and everything was back to normal but.. i accidentally rippt out two of the legs of that cartridge slot, while i was removing it, to get to the one solder point...

As i removed the board completely, i noticed that there are a lot of testpoinds on the other side, specially next to the cartridge slot. So it should be not that hard to simple rewire them to the other side.

I did search about this testpoints but i could not find any informations about them.. so i was wondering if one of you guys could maybe help me with this.

Last edited by TomTheDragon, Feb 11, 2016
  2. dark_samus3

dark_samus3 GBAtemp Addict

May 30, 2015
    United States
    Pictures would be nice, also shouldn't this be over in the hardware section?

3. TomTheDragon
    OP

TomTheDragon Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    I am not sure how pictures would help to solive this problem, i just need infos how to rewire the cartridge slot to the test points on the other side of the board.
    I was not sure about the right forum section, since i first got my infos for the mod in the custom firmware section.

4. dark_samus3

May 30, 2015
    United States
    Well, depending on which pads you ripped off you may or may not need to rewire some stuff, also knowing which model console you have etc.

pictures ALWAYS help... it'll help us see how severe the damage is, what pads need to be repaired/rewired and is just generally a good idea

5. TomTheDragon
    OP

TomTheDragon Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Ah ok then, i did not think about that possibility.
    So i checked it again and i ripped off 6 and not 2 pads, i tried to rewire the first 4 to the closest points but.. maybe i got some of them wrong, i am really not sure.
    But i really have no idea about the last two pins.

Attached Files:

6. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    Dude, who taught you to solder?

7. dark_samus3

May 30, 2015
    United States
    that helps a ton!

alright, I've got 5 of the 6 testpoints you need traced out... unfortunately one of them is super tiny, but hopefully you can make it work. I'll post again when I finish tracing them :)

8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    looks like the wifi connector is messed up too, does the console still boot?

9. TheToaster

TheToaster Warrior of the Toast

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    I was afraid of this happening...

10. dark_samus3

May 30, 2015
    United States
    alright, not the worlds best diagram, but I got it up as fast as I could... please note that pin 3 (on the cart slot, from the right side) is not connected (I verified this with a little research) and that pin 8 goes to the really tiny via on the board.... also keep in mind these points are on the other side of the board

testpoints

Good luck :)

atkfromabove likes this.
  11. atkfromabove

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States
    The state with lots of wives
    You're awesome for being so helpful. Ha gotta say I like the diagram.

12. TomTheDragon
    OP

TomTheDragon Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    OMG youre amazing, thanks a lot for your work and that nice picture :)

I immediately checked it against all "my tries" to rewire the broken solder pads and i found out that only one of them was wrong.. and yes it was the only one with this tiny point..
    But i luckily find out that you can also go to that one "big" capacitor next to the cartridge slot and now everything seems to work again like normal as you can see :)

IMG_20160212_231516.png
    Wifi was never brocken but here is the prove that it works ;)

I also traced all the other connections out, so that this can help others too ;)
    testpoints

Last edited by TomTheDragon, Feb 12, 2016
    dark_samus3 and gamesquest1 like this.
  13. dark_samus3

May 30, 2015
    United States
    Glad you got it working, and I think it's awesome you traced the rest out too, hopefully this'll help someone in the future :)