Test GoG Galaxy and get Alien versus Predator for free!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Qtis, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Qtis
    OP

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    [​IMG]

Everyone loves their games without any limiting DRM or other nonsense. GoG.com, a side project by CD Project famous for the Witcher series among others, has been providing this type of service for quite a while. Now they're trying to help you play on a DRM-free platform and not just provide a fantastic online store. While they're at it, they're giving a game for free for everyone signing up for the testing of GoG Galaxy.

:arrow:Source

All you need to do is sign up for the testing of the platform. Don't like it or want to improve it? Give feedback. While you're at it, grab the 10 or so free games available when registering into the service.

Rocc0 likes this.
  2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Was just about to post this :lol:

Signed up earlier this morning.

3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    so, they are releasing another "desura" ?

theese store apps are getting really annnoying... i am glad they are drm free and specially optional, i already got steam, and i have desura (but not installed) thankfully to indie bundles...

it's sad i can't have a minimalist steam client, which you make a shortcut for that specific game, when you open that shortcut you are prompted with the steam login, then the game starts directly without steam client taking me a percentage of pc ram and lots of resource crap...

4. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Qu├ębec

At least GoG isn't indie games. I only have Desura for literally one game that i got in a bundle, a Raiden collection.

5. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    is this the one where you bite your way out of skulls as a baby alien?
    that was one of the rare shooter like games that caught my interest back in the day when i barely had enough cpu power to run tetris. would be nice to finally give it a spin

6. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    If I have understood correctly Desura is simply Chrome window with additional game downloading, installing and launching (basically more automated website) where Galaxy should be more like Steam with achievements, easier connecting to multiplayer games, profiles and such. That's why this does interest me as this basically fixes all the drawbacks you would have choosing DRM-Free version of the game over Steam version.

7. Qtis
    OP

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Imagine Steam without the DRM and the option of not even using it to play the games you've bought. It's goal is to give people the same features as Steam, but also add something unique to it. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out, especially if Steam takes a few leaves out of Galaxy's feature list (fully Steam-less gaming).

migles likes this.
  8. Kayot

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    My reason for rejecting steam was needing to hack the executable and turn the installed game into an inno setup. Gog does that for me from the get go.

9. Ashtonx

Ashtonx n0l1f3

Oct 31, 2013
    Poland
    Sweet i've been waiting for them to finally release this app. Some find those annoying, personally i use my steam a lot. I also hoped gog would pull of a good once since it's the only other digital store i like.

10. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    This is pretty sweet. Since GoG focusses on older games and doesn't have DRM, I think it's a nice complement for steam (EDIT: steam also doesn't have movies, although GoG's offering is limited to only a few indy titles). And I've been curious to see how galaxy will turn out. And now I get a free game with it! :D

Okay, it's a game I already have, but I remember it being a good one. :)

(small note: this is "Aliens vs Predator classic 2000". It's not to be confused with the similarly-named game from 2010).

No. It's from another team. Unless you mean the broader "they" (as in: "someone on the internet").

11. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States

It's called gamestop? Seriously though gamestop has a pc client.

12. Qtis
    OP

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    AFAIK the Gamestop PC client still requires Steam for some titles at least and is PC only (correct me if I'm wrong). But in any case, this is just an extra service, which is not required and will not be required to play games from GoG. As long as the games are DRM-free and playable separately (even via a separate client like Steam), I'm game. :P

13. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Woo ANOTHER stupid storefront program to run on my computer. I'll install, take the free games, and uninstall.
    DRM free has its uses.

I'll be sticking to Steam. I'd say GOG Galaxy could hang out with Origin, but unlike Origin I wont need it installed after I get the games.

14. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    so gog is getting into the steam-ish business now eh?

15. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Worth noting is that the game they give you for testing is Alien VS Predator Classic 2000 and not the much later Alien VS Predator (2010).

16. Ashtonx

Ashtonx n0l1f3

Oct 31, 2013
    Poland

Actually you won't have to install the client their games are downloadable through website. For me the app is actually great, i'm an achievment whore etc, lack of those and community like on steam is one of the reasons i usually pick steam over gog.
    Then again when it comes to classics gog is always the one for me :) I Just think this will increase the amount of newer games bought on gog and more third party sources selling gog keys.

17. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    But you don't even have to install Galaxy in the first place then. All the games are still in your GOG library which you can access and download with browser.
    I don't mind extra programs, I just downloaded more RAM few days ago 8)

OuahOuah, Qtis and Minox like this.
  18. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Really? I figured they'd require you to use the program you're testing to get the free game.

But then again, they're releasing a GoG steam ripoff, that shouldn't surprise me if that's true.

19. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Jeez, dude. Should we feel sorry for you that you have to actually DO something to get a free game? :rolleyes:

I sure as hell didn't get a free game when I first installed steam (rather the opposite: it was pretty much forced upon me when I bought a boxed version of portal 2). And since GoG doesn't have DRM, it certainly has the potential to be better.

OuahOuah and Ashtonx like this.
  20. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    As much as I like Steam I'm getting sick and tired of people like you calling every other game store client a Steam ripoff. Valve does NOT have a monopoly on having such a client and in this case no one will even be forced to use said client if they don't want to so I'm not sure what you're whining about.

OuahOuah, Issac, Qtis and 1 other person like this.