Tesla limits Passenger Play feature after U.S. opens investigation

BQwukuZwwwXrg27B9Le2Q6.png

Tesla has implemented some restrictions on its Passenger Play feature after the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration (NTHSA) announced it would begin a preliminary evaluation of its effects on safety. In December of 2019, Tesla rolled out its Tesla Arcade program, that let users play games built into the car on its center touch screen while parked. The program has included many classic arcade and arcade-style games, plus newer releases like Cuphead and Stardew Valley. Around December 2020, however, an update was released that allowed games to be played while in motion, with the only safety measure in place an easily-dismissed pop-up asking players to confirm they are a passenger before beginning the game. Combined with Tesla's controversial Autopilot function, which can handle some degree of driving responsibilities without input from the driver, some safety experts are concerned Teslas will enable drivers to take their hands and eyes off the road while driving.

On December 8, a new Tesla owner named Vince Patton filed a report with the NTHSA after seeing a YouTube video demonstrating the new feature, and testing it out for himself. “I only did it for like five seconds and then turned it off,” said Mr. Patton. “I’m astonished. To me, it just seems inherently dangerous.” On December 21, the NTHSA's Office of Defects Investigation began its preliminary evaluation of the situation. However, by December 23, the NTHSA had confirmed in statements to The Associated Press and Teslerati that Tesla was changing the feature so it could once again only be activated while parked.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That ruins the point of playing while the car drives
Also Tesla, have full self driving it's been 4 years!
I think we're still a ways off from self driving being viable throughout the country, never mind across the planet. We will get there in time, but for now, complete self driving seems to be limited to certain test markets.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They need a game where you get points digitally displayed on your wind shield so as to keep your pedestrian's hit ratio. Or perhaps give the windshield transparent visual tech that changes the environment into that of Mad Max or what ever so you can really get into the whole role play aspect.

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That ruins the point of playing while the car drives
Also Tesla, have full self driving it's been 4 years!
I don't know about in the US, but in the UK I would never trust full self driving as it is right now. It just needs more training against actual crashes to know what to look out for. Too many horror stories for me to want to go anywhere near it right now.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
So what stops the driver using his phone or a device like the Switch to play games instead?
Next thing you know it will be mandatory to have a police officer to ride along with you to make sure you are paying attention.

Well if they fuck up and don't die, you can just take away their right to drive

So go buy a moped or don't drive like a Chinaman

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well if they fuck up and don't die, you can just take away their right to drive

So go buy a moped or don't drive like a Chinaman
It's the driver responsibility to pay attention. The play while driving feature is only meant for the passenger (at least until fully autonomous vehicles are more advanced) You can take away the ability to play but then again that doesn't stop the driver from grabbing his phone or Switch.
Maybe they should make it ilegal to carry a phone or gaming device on a car? What I'm trying to say is that this measures are not effective at all.

Reactions: IncredulousP

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
It's the driver responsibility to pay attention. The play while driving feature is only meant for the passenger (at least until fully autonomous vehicles are more advanced) You can take away the ability to play but then again that doesn't stop the driver from grabbing his phone or Switch.
Maybe they should make it ilegal to carry a phone or gaming device on a car? What I'm trying to say is that this measures are not effective at all.
How about Learn how to drive a car

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SugoiEndeavor @ SugoiEndeavor: What's up bakaz