Tesla limits Passenger Play feature after U.S. opens investigation

BQwukuZwwwXrg27B9Le2Q6.png

Tesla has implemented some restrictions on its Passenger Play feature after the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration (NTHSA) announced it would begin a preliminary evaluation of its effects on safety. In December of 2019, Tesla rolled out its Tesla Arcade program, that let users play games built into the car on its center touch screen while parked. The program has included many classic arcade and arcade-style games, plus newer releases like Cuphead and Stardew Valley. Around December 2020, however, an update was released that allowed games to be played while in motion, with the only safety measure in place an easily-dismissed pop-up asking players to confirm they are a passenger before beginning the game. Combined with Tesla's controversial Autopilot function, which can handle some degree of driving responsibilities without input from the driver, some safety experts are concerned Teslas will enable drivers to take their hands and eyes off the road while driving.

On December 8, a new Tesla owner named Vince Patton filed a report with the NTHSA after seeing a YouTube video demonstrating the new feature, and testing it out for himself. “I only did it for like five seconds and then turned it off,” said Mr. Patton. “I’m astonished. To me, it just seems inherently dangerous.” On December 21, the NTHSA's Office of Defects Investigation began its preliminary evaluation of the situation. However, by December 23, the NTHSA had confirmed in statements to The Associated Press and Teslerati that Tesla was changing the feature so it could once again only be activated while parked.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Some are flawed in minor ways but abstracting away personal responsibility to a tech company and/or government seems like a solution in search of a problem. The good idea fairy got somewhere in a government department and either smelling a payday or seeing a reason to justify their existence (same thing technically) they decided to try to play safety concerned do gooder with the added perk of "what, are you against safety" if someone does try to question it. Seen this sort of thing too many times before to consider it a good thing, just see it as an overreach.

Distance measurement to things in front would be unreliable in most things pre 1990s tech. Speed limiters have always been possible/enforceable (the same thing that they do for motorbikes to limit capacity and such works well in anything up to cargo ship size), and GPS tie ins for about as long still (granted drive by wire, by far the easier way for this, was not that common earlier on so it would have to be a more complicated way or a fuel dubious cut out).

People have similarly died lighting cigarettes, messing with the radio, messing with GPS systems, hands free barely works over holding it to your ear (most passengers will shut up come difficult conditions, other end of the phone lacks that), fiddling with the heaters...

The problem with arguing 'personal responsibility' is that when that 1 dipstick decides to play Cuphead whilst using Autopilot (presuming that was possible) or gets distracted watching their friend play, it doesn't necessarily just hard them but potentially innocent others as well if an accident occurs. Remember we're talking about video games, which expect constant attention, arguably more so than other features e.g. radio, the latter of which may also offer useful features e.g. Traffic reports and Tesla created the 'problem' themselves.

I also don't see a problem with researching an issue, who knows, they could have decided 'yeah that's fine' which in turn could alter the way companies look at infotainment systems.

I know I may sound cynical about the general public, but my years of retail have left me cynical. I'm constantly having to deal with people who could have solved their problems themselves by just reading what was in front of them.

How come Elon musk hasn't landed on the moon yet, shit he got rockets that land themselves, I guess he forgot about the actual space vehicle

AFAIK Space X are making the lunar lander for NASA.

Reactions: IncredulousP

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Seems like they could easily solve the issue by putting a smaller secondary screen on the dash in front of the passenger seat (kinda tilted away from the driver). Definitely the type of thing Tesla would charge extra for, though.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Reading your posts on this thread I already had figure that you are full of bullshit but after reading this one I genuinely don't know if you are just trolling or just plain ignorant.

Spend all that money to put a car with a crash test dummy in orbit, could have put a satellite or something actually useful

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damnit, that means they are going to put regulations in place and ruin it for the other people using self-driving methods that aren't Tesla related and screw over everyone else with their miss-steps. I use OpenPilot to auto-drive my Civic and jailbroke the stereo so it can run side-loaded android apps and now that the legal system has an eye on it, it's going to choke the limits and possibly make it illegal to do anything that doesn't have the governments stamp on it. Thanks Elon, you big idiot.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damnit, that means they are going to put regulations in place and ruin it for the other people using self-driving methods that aren't Tesla related and screw over everyone else with their miss-steps. I use OpenPilot to auto-drive my Civic and jailbroke the stereo so it can run side-loaded android apps and now that the legal system has an eye on it, it's going to choke the limits and possibly make it illegal to do anything that doesn't have the governments stamp on it. Thanks Elon, you big idiot.

Bruh it's a car, play some music and just drive the shit

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bruh it's a car, play some music and just drive the shit

Bumper-to-bumper traffic every day in the morning and afternoon while you commute to work is not fun. It's a great relief to burden the stop and go on my car and just relax. It's also great for driving 8+ hours, it puts much less mental strain and visual strain on my body so I can be much more alert for longer periods. Movies are also a great way to keep passengers entertained too and keep them from blabbing at me :P

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bumper-to-bumper traffic every day in the morning and afternoon while you commute to work is not fun. It's a great relief to burden the stop and go on my car and just relax. It's also great for driving 8+ hours, it puts much less mental strain and visual strain on my body so I can be much more alert for longer periods. Movies are also a great way to keep passengers entertained too and keep them from blabbing at me :P

My pathfinder has an av entertainment system too, but atleast i have to sit in the back to watch it

Might want to invest in a different route with less traffic

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really...