Homebrew Terrified to install a9lh on N3DSXL

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've had my CFW for a while now. I'm using a N3DSXL on a 9.2 sysnand and the nightly of Luma3DS on an updated emunand (11.0.0-33). So should I start from the VERY beginning of the Plailect guide or what? A few more questions too.

1. Will I lose all the CIAs installed on my emunand now?

2. Exactly how safe is it using the guide (I'm tech savvy so directions aren't a problem)

3. Will I still be able to use all my HomeBrews/Exploits when it's finished without extra tweaking?

4. Can I still use a bootmanager?

TIA to anyone who replies. I have been reading tons of forums on here regarding the installation but these few things were still bothering me (As well as my emunand being on 11.0)

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
  1. Not if you follow the guide and backup your SD card, emunand and sysnand and restore them correctly according to the guide
  2. I haven't used the updated guide, but from what I understand the new tools do much of the work for you so it's much safer than it used to be
  3. Yes
  4. Yes. You'll use the a9lh version of the boot manager
To be honest as long as you have a VALID sysnand backup, the worst that will happen is that you will have to have the system hard modded to restore a working sysnand backup and try again.

Edit - oh and yes, follow the Plailect guide to the letter starting from step 1.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You don't need to start at the beginning of the guide. The guide specifically answers this question. Right at the beginning.Please read the guide.

1. The guide specifically answers this question: no. It answers this at the very beginning of the beginning. Please read the guide.

2. A million people have answered this question a million times: it's not 100% safe, but the vast majority of bricks have occurred through human error, mostly due to not carefully following the guide or skipping steps or being impatient.

3. There's nothing you're using now that you won't be able to use with A9LH.

4. Yes, but there's no need to. You can use updated SysNAND with no EmuNAND with A9LH.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

iwabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No need to be terrified, since you are on 9.2 the scary part is already over. In your case, convert your emuNAND to RedNAND and you'll basically be at the end of part three. Just make sure to read up on all the files that need to be on your SD card. All the scary stuff takes place on your emuNAND (then RedNAND) so as long as you make backups every time it tells you too you'll be fine. So many safety guards in the guide you won't brick don't worry.

Reactions: GaaraPrime

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"If you have an existing EmuNAND, you can follow this part without switching to RedNAND by following all RedNAND steps as if they said EmuNAND."

SO basically I can start at part 4?

Also, thanks everyone for the answers. I HAVE read the guide many, many times but that doesn't make it any less intimidating. Lol :D

Last edited by Majickhat55,

xIce101x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've had my CFW for a while now. I'm using a N3DSXL on a 9.2 sysnand and the nightly of Luma3DS on an updated emunand (11.0.0-33). So should I start from the VERY beginning of the Plailect guide or what? A few more questions too.

1. Will I lose all the CIAs installed on my emunand now?

2. Exactly how safe is it using the guide (I'm tech savvy so directions aren't a problem)

3. Will I still be able to use all my HomeBrews/Exploits when it's finished without extra tweaking?

4. Can I still use a bootmanager?

TIA to anyone who replies. I have been reading tons of forums on here regarding the installation but these few things were still bothering me (As well as my emunand being on 11.0)
1. No. Make a back up of your emunand now

2. I've done a handful of installs on N3DS consoles and never had a problem.

3. Yes

4. Yes

Honestly I did my N3DS before OTPHelper was a thing and when safesysupdater was used instead of plaisysupdater. Back then it was considered very risky. As long as you follow the guide perfectly you will not brick. Only bricks I've heard of recently have been from someone trying to cut corners.

Reactions: Majickhat55

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
"If you have an existing EmuNAND, you can follow this part without switching to RedNAND by following all RedNAND steps as if they said EmuNAND."

Also, thanks everyone for the answers. I HAVE read the guide many, many times but that doesn't make it any less intimidating. Lol :D
Yes you can just start at part 4

Reactions: Majickhat55

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, start from part 4 - substituting redNAND with emuNAND.
Read carefully, dont skip steps and youll be golden in no time.
It is scary, just in concept. Once its done youll realize it wasnt that bad.

Edit - ninjd

Also, if using menuhax, adjust the triggers as instructed somewhere in the guide.
I believe part 4 mentions it actually.

Last edited by nickwhit,

Binebina87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You could also wait a week for GWs Time machine homebrew app. As they say it simplfies the process of installing a9lh. :-)

KaduPSE

Revolution and cake
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You could also wait a week for GWs Time machine homebrew app. As they say it simplfies the process of installing a9lh. :-)
I don't see how it could be safer. In fact, given how GW purposely bricked consoles, I wouldn't trust them at all. Even the first version of the guide was already safe enough, the current version is almost completely safe as long as the user does exactly what's said. And, in the worst case scenario, you can always go with a hardmod if things go wrong (You should have NAND backups if you followed the guide).

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question, how do I know which NAND chip I have regarding the right size of the backup? OTP says "Dumping emuNAND 1240MB"

+ Toshiba NAND:
1.979.711.488 bytes = 1.84GB

+ Samsung NAND:
1.300.234.240 bytes = 1.21GB

So I guess I'm good if mine is Samsung? But how do I know>

Last edited by Majickhat55,

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question, how do I know which NAND chip I have regarding the right size of the backup? OTP says "Dumping emuNAND 1240MB"

+ Toshiba NAND:

+ Samsung NAND:

I wouldnt think itd be so close to Samsung without being that.. Id say youre fine from the looks.

HenryLeonheart

Trophies
XP
Country

+ Toshiba NAND:

+ Samsung NAND:

As long as it's not smaller than the minimum written on the guide, it's ok.
EDIT: Reason for the most part being extra titles like the Amiibo system titles that didn't exist back in 9.2.0

Last edited by HenryLeonheart,

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its probably just data appropriation.
Rounding and such between the two systems/programs.. But the amiibo thing could be true too.

Last edited by nickwhit,

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
To be completely safe, you should take two NAND dumps (one immediately after the other) and compare not just the sizes but also the md5sums of the two dumps. If they match, you can be reasonably sure you have a good dump of the NAND.

Reactions: nickwhit

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol