• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Tennessee poised to ban public drag shows, hormone therapy for children

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awww, already missing some of my attention?
Last time I saw you, you were stomping out of the room like a petulant child saying something along the lines that you weren't gonna talk to me anymore like that would hurt my feelings. Now here you are talking to me. Seems nothing you say can be taken at face value.

• Haha
Reactions: caipora

caipora

cheese eating lactose intolerant
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Last time I saw you, you were stomping out of the room like a petulant child saying something along the lines that you weren't gonna talk to me anymore like that would hurt my feelings. Now here you are talking to me. Seems nothing you say can be taken at face value.
Yeah i thought so.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: KingVamp and Xzi

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Hormone therapy for children" simply means puberty blockers. Can't say I'm shocked a rightie would be against people being able to make decisions for themselves, though.
He said specifically children, informed consent is a thing. That's why there's plenty of examples where children can't do certain things because they can't make an informed decision on the basis that they're children. I'm sure there's plenty of children who would love to down a 2litre bottle of vodka, we have restrictions in place in society to stop this happening because they're too young and dumb to make the correct decision, It's really telling that you're pro child mutilation though.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pu
"Hormone therapy for children" simply means puberty blockers. Can't say I'm shocked a rightie would be against people being able to make decisions for themselves, though.
Puberty blockers aren't as benign as people pretend them to be - it's not like you can just go through normal puberty 10 years later and expect everything to turn out alright, you may end up with fertility issues for one

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Puberty blockers aren't as benign as people pretend them to be - it's not like you can just go through normal puberty 10 years later and expect everything to turn out alright, you may end up with fertility issues for one
They definitely can’t be used to postpone the process indefinitely, and in some cases end up being counterproductive. I remember reading about a case where they were administered correctly to a genuinely transgender teenager who eventually decided to go through a sex change operation, however the blockers and hormone therapy they’ve gone through over the years led to underdevelopment of genitalia and the surgeons simply didn’t have enough tissue to work with.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Pu

Gotta pick a lane some time: either the contention is that kids aren't yet old enough to make those sorts of decisions, which is mostly solved by puberty blockers, or you just have an issue with other people living their lives the way they best see fit. The risks aren't yours to take.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Gotta pick a lane some time: either the contention is that kids aren't yet old enough to make those sorts of decisions, which is mostly solved by puberty blockers, or you just have an issue with other people living their lives the way they best see fit. The risks aren't yours to take.
Or you can just do nothing and wait until they’re adults. If gender is just a social construct then any concerns beyond what they’re called (he/her/insert pronoun of choice) are purely aesthetic.

Reactions: Doran754

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotta pick a lane some time: either the contention is that kids aren't yet old enough to make those sorts of decisions, which is mostly solved by puberty blockers, or you just have an issue with other people living their lives the way they best see fit.
It doesn't solve the issue, imagine the kids are too young to make the decision

So you give puberty blockers

The child reaches the age to make the decision, decides they don't want to transition

Now they have irreversible changes from the so called "puberty blockers" which is really a misnomer

Simply having no access to either sex hormone will also be bad for bone health

They definitely can’t be used to postpone the process indefinitely, and in some cases end up being counterproductive. I remember reading about a case where they were administered correctly to a genuinely transgender teenager who eventually decided to go through a sex change operation, however the blockers and hormone therapy they’ve gone through over the years led to underdevelopment of genitalia and the surgeons simply didn’t have enough tissue to work with.
I believe this happened to Jaz, so they had to use some bowel to extend the vagina

Reactions: Doran754

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Or you can just do nothing and wait until they’re adults. If gender is just a social construct then any concerns beyond what they’re called are purely aesthetic.
Most of the time that's what happens anyway, but some children do have the innate sense very early on that they're in the wrong body, before even fully understanding that concept in the abstract.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can we also ban circumcision for those under 18? The surgery has minimal benefits, a whole lot of risks, and should really be something the person can decide for himself when he's of age, not a goddamn baby or child.

Sure, it doesn't have anything to do with being trans, but still a valid question.

Reactions: RetroGen

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Most of the time that's what happens anyway, but some children do have the innate sense very early on that they're in the wrong body, before even fully understanding that concept in the abstract.
There are also children who have an innate sense early on that they’re a dragon, or a unicorn, or a space hamster - that doesn’t make it so. The idea that we should always placate them and kowtow to their every whim is, well, whimsical at best. It is a doctor’s duty to do no harm, in my mind that supersedes any societal pressure to do otherwise.
Can we also ban circumcision for those under 18? The surgery has minimal benefits, a whole lot of risks, and should really be something the person can decide for himself when he's of age, not a goddamn baby or child.

Sure, it doesn't have anything to do with being trans, but still a valid question.
It’s genital mutilation. The problem with it is that it falls under free exercise of religion, since it’s a Jewish custom. Any attack on circumcision would be considered anti-Semitic, which is completely ridiculous of course. As far as I’m concerned, there’s no reason why they couldn’t make that decision themselves when they’re adults too.

Last edited by Foxi4,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There are also children who have an innate sense early on that they’re a dragon, or a unicorn, or a space hamster - that doesn’t make it so.
There are also adults who believe Donald Trump is a real-life John Wick and Elon Musk a real-life Iron Man. Once again, they don't need to be thinking they're capable of making decisions for others when they can't even think for themselves.

If somebody truly values your opinion on the topic, they'll ask for it. Beyond that, tolerance and acceptance are passive principles, it takes far more effort to express hatred and ignorance.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There are also adults who believe Donald Trump is a real-life John Wick and Elon Musk a real-life Iron Man. Once again, they don't need to be thinking they're capable of making decisions for others when they can't even think for themselves.

If somebody truly values your opinion on the topic, they'll ask for it. Beyond that, tolerance and acceptance are passive principles, it takes far more effort to express hatred and ignorance.
It is ignorant to fulfil a child’s every wish, including self-destructive ones. It is our responsibility as adults to prevent children from doing harm to themselves. We don’t allow them to smoke, drink or drive for the exact same reason - they have limited capacity to make responsible decisions. There’s nothing hateful in saying “no” when the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. I’m not telling anyone that they can’t go on HRT - they can, when they can legally make life changing medical decisions on their own behalf. I have the exact same opinion in regards to parents refusing life saving surgeries for their children. I fully understand that they believe a blood transfusion will damn their child to an eternity of damnation, I just don’t particularly care about it - it’s a child.

x65943

OP
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

WHO still recommends it because it lowers risk of STD transmission and UTis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr