Tenchu ~ Dark Secret?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by GeekyGuy, Jul 30, 2007.

Jul 30, 2007

Tenchu ~ Dark Secret? by GeekyGuy at 3:15 AM (968 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I haven't gotten far into the game at all, and I put off trying it forever because of the terrible reviews it received. But I was bored, and so...

To my surprise, though, I find myself pretty entertained so far. The opening story bits were really good, and the combat is pretty satisfying and simple. The camera is a bit "meh," but overall so far so good.

I'm wondering what other folks (who've played it) think about it.

2. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I loved the game. Don't know why it got such a bad review though, I had tons of fun playing it.

Same with Tenchu Z on Xbox 360, I love the game and played it to death (40+ hours). Yet it also got bad reviews.

3. Knab

Member Knab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i too enjoy the game, reminds me of one of my favorite playstation games "trap gunner"

also setting up bambo traps to throw the enemy into one right after the other is always fun lol

4. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Hmm.....I'm gonna have to give this game a try. If people are saying it's better than the pathetic reviews....who knows, I might actually like it. Decent games are slim-pickin's right now.

5. ZzzZilla

Member ZzzZilla GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    I just had a go at it recently, wasn't too impressed with it.

The opening bit, as you mentioned, seemed so contrived to me. I mean, they came to kidnap the princess, but lurk around long enough for me to trap them with bamboo traps?

And the top down view made it feel really un-epic to me, but that's probably due to accomodations for the DS hardware?

But if you're having fun, more power to you then!

6. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Thanks.

Yeah, getting "epic" on the DS is certainly a tall order. But for what Dark Secret is, it's pretty cool.

I just played some more of it, and am even more impressed. I like the various options and how the game is set-up overall. You can make or buy gear; choose missions in various orders, ala Onimusha; and the game's presentation is really pretty nice. The top-down thing doesn't bother me in terms of losing any kind of feel, but it does seem to hinder your ability to be stealthy. But the game does kind of set you up with the idea (during the opening dialogue) that action is more of the focus, whereas the console Tenchus might be more about the stealth.

I think you definitely have to keep the game in perspective. The DS is fairly limited with what it can do in the sense of an action / adventure game. Compared to much of what else is out there for the system, I'd say Tenchu has a lot going for it so far.

I'll reserve a final verdict, of course, until I play it through. But it's always nice to find something fun that was panned by critics.

@ Rayder -- Yeah, definitely check it out if you're bored. Maybe it'll take for you, maybe not. But it's always fun checkin' out new stuff [​IMG] .

7. Torte

Member Torte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    The reason why it's bad is because of the idiotic AI and the fact that it tarnishes the good name of the console versions, which weren't that great in the first place.

8. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Thought it was a fuck ugly and terrible game.

9. GeekyGuy
    OP

United States
    Well, it's definitely not comparable to a console Tenchu experience, though the AI isn't all that different, really. Nintendo probably would have fared better publishing it under a name that suggested better that it was an off-shoot of the series, rather than an actual Tenchu game. I am almost finished with it, and for an arcade-style, stealth-action game on the DS it's pretty darn fun. There's not one aspect I could point to and say "it's broken." The missions are a bit repetitive, and it certainly isn't a pretty game. But it's definitely not nearly the train wreck critics made it out to be. It's not a game for everyone, perhaps, but I think those who go in for this sort of game will really dig it.