Tencent obtains patent for handheld gaming PC

tencent 2.JPG

As reported by analyst Daniel Ahmad, a couple of days ago, Tencent obtained a patent for a "PC Video Game Console" which it submitted in October 2020. The device in question features a windows and a keyboard button, and bears some resemblance to the AYA NEO handheld gaming PC, which is itself inspired from the Nintendo Switch. Interestingly, Tencent itself distributes the Nintendo Switch in China but seems to have taken some interest in handheld gaming PCs, following the success of such devices like the AYA NEO and GPD.

tencent 1.JPG

tencent 3.JPG tencent 2.JPG tencent 4.JPG
However, this is but a patent and doesn't mean that we will actually see this product come to market. We've seen other similar prototypes and concepts like the Alienware UFO and recently the Lenovo LaVie Mini which did not go past the concept stage (till now). Nevertheless, it shows that tech giants are also contemplating such devices which make for interesting "what if" speculations for us consumers.

What do you think of Tencent's handheld gaming PC? Do you like the design or would prefer one that includes a keyboard like the GPD Win Max or Win 3?

:arrow: SOURCE

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Because I think it's common knowledge that copyright is not really a thing in china, suing chinese companies especially those backed up by the government will not get you anywhere, however it is different matter when a chinese company sues another non-chinese company.

xatzimi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much would we expect this to retail for?
I have a strong desire to get a handheld PC, but the only games I need it for are VNs, and it seems hard to justify a $700 GPD for that purpose.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Inspired by nintendo switch..... erm no its not, its a pc gaming tablet running windows with far superior hardware.

Can the fanboys stop assuming nintendo was first to make a gaming tablet, end of the day they saw how the tablet market was kicking off a storm, especially for kids as theyre playing loads of free mobile apps, so they cash in on the idea, failed with the wii, then try again with the switch by copying off devices already on the market, ffs it even used the same nvidia tegra chip.

This just proves that nintendo who its fans claim to innovate, a small group of people can come up with something better.

Hopefully if this is picked up and removes windows which is a shit os, and gives its own os with less resources and focused more toward gaming only, then it will be able to do more.

End of the day, tho i like this, i wouldn't buy it when my laptop can do it all and better, with a bigger screen.

Yup, i dont mind taking my laptop on the move when it offers what i want, small devices like the switch to play games i already own is a no, i dont care if its portible, my laptop can emulate them.

If i didnt have my laptop then this would be ideal.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are going to fail. The handheld gaming market is Nintendo territory. Sony attempted but they failed
These are just PCs sold at a profit, the stakes are different. They aren't trying to start their own ecosystem and have a very large one to draw from. Profit will be from hardware which is why it won't be dirt cheap like a Vita or Switch. Selling even a few million in that environment would be quite successful, maybe even less depending on how much R&D they bother to do. The GPD line has been successful enough to continue through several versions for example.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Inspired by nintendo switch..... erm no its not, its a pc gaming tablet running windows with far superior hardware.

Can the fanboys stop assuming nintendo was first to make a gaming tablet, end of the day they saw how the tablet market was kicking off a storm, especially for kids as theyre playing loads of free mobile apps, so they cash in on the idea, failed with the wii, then try again with the switch by copying off devices already on the market, ffs it even used the same nvidia tegra chip.

This just proves that nintendo who its fans claim to innovate, a small group of people can come up with something better.
I guess we could say that nintendo was the first to 'massify' the idea and prove that the concept works with a gaming-only device no? Just like the iphone was the first to 'massify' the concept of 'use your finger' instead phone type. The hard part of having an idea is to make it viable. If we are going to point out who was first/last I guess we can trace this handheld gaming concept way back to the game boy.

Last edited by mspy,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess we could say that nintendo was the first to 'massify' the idea and prove that the concept works with a gaming-only device no? Just like the iphone was the first to 'massify' the concept of 'use your finger' instead phone type. The hard part of having an idea is to make it viable. If we are going to point out who was first/last I guess we can trace this handheld gaming concept way back to the game boy.
Nope wrong.

Tablets already started offering quality apps amd games, even ports of consoles.

Fact is, nintendo saw the massive market and wanted a slice of it, as they ran out of ideas how to make another cheap nasty machine to print money.

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nope wrong.

Tablets already started offering quality apps amd games, even ports of consoles.

Fact is, nintendo saw the massive market and wanted a slice of it, as they ran out of ideas how to make another cheap nasty machine to print money.
It depends on what you consider a 'tablet', does a game boy enter in this category ?
The modern tablet concept was made popular by the iPad 10 years ago, previously people didn't give a shit about them, what popular tablets had the all attach/detach the controls on the sides previously then the switch? And what 'quality' games are you referring that tablets had? Any worth mentioning AAA games ?

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on what you consider a 'tablet', does a game boy enter in this category ?
The modern tablet concept was made popular by the iPad 10 years ago, previously people didn't give a shit about them, what popular tablets had the all attach/detach the controls on the sides previously then the switch? And what 'quality' games are you referring that tablets had? Any worth mentioning AAA games ?
no a gb is not a tablet.

As for the rest, blind to even Google or what, never seen tablet cases that add controllers to the sides or Bluetooth controllers.

Just a typical nintendo fanboy that cant see past their fanboy love, nintendo did not invent this concept end of.

Your concept of aaa titles is flawed, theres a massive library of quality mobile games, some of which "indy" port over to your crap switch and you have to pay for it.

Im not going to argue with a fanboy that wrongfully beleives nintendo invented the tablet concept with controllers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: strip checkers > nude chess