Tencent obtains patent for handheld gaming PC

tencent 2.JPG

As reported by analyst Daniel Ahmad, a couple of days ago, Tencent obtained a patent for a "PC Video Game Console" which it submitted in October 2020. The device in question features a windows and a keyboard button, and bears some resemblance to the AYA NEO handheld gaming PC, which is itself inspired from the Nintendo Switch. Interestingly, Tencent itself distributes the Nintendo Switch in China but seems to have taken some interest in handheld gaming PCs, following the success of such devices like the AYA NEO and GPD.

tencent 1.JPG

tencent 3.JPG tencent 2.JPG tencent 4.JPG
However, this is but a patent and doesn't mean that we will actually see this product come to market. We've seen other similar prototypes and concepts like the Alienware UFO and recently the Lenovo LaVie Mini which did not go past the concept stage (till now). Nevertheless, it shows that tech giants are also contemplating such devices which make for interesting "what if" speculations for us consumers.

What do you think of Tencent's handheld gaming PC? Do you like the design or would prefer one that includes a keyboard like the GPD Win Max or Win 3?

:arrow: SOURCE

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'd love to see more competitively priced "handheld gaming PCs" now that mobile SoCs aren't like...complete and total ass and more than 1 decent company is actually making them. Not quite sure I'd want a Tencent branded one, but given that it's a PC you can just get rid of all the Chinese spyware they'd inevitably install so that'd be nice.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see that HDMI port on the bottom.

So many switch knock-offs, but is there actually appetite for this sort of thing? Personally I think handhelds should fit in a pocket or else you're better off just using a laptop.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
A new player has entered the game!
Competition is good, I hope this drives the prices down as well.

(Although the tablet form factor sucks ass and I would prefer a clamshell version like (most of the) GPD WIN models.)

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would have assumed it would have been running android with all of the games they develop for it. I think we are about 5 years before we see any amazing performance on any small handheld with decent battery life.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
"Designed and made in Schenzen, China"
"For PC Console Gamer"

Yup, definitely chinese. I'm sure we'll see it on Wish soon.

Reactions: DarkCoffe64
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Of course a chinese company makes a knockoff of something popular, lol.
Mean, even the buttom placements are almost identical to the switch's.
Still, bet this is gonna end up being better even than the switch pro or what in terms of specs and whatnot, eh?

Could be a good product to get if you wanna play pc stuff on the go, I guess (well, the games that are playable with a controller, I suppose).
Just as what was said above, just give it a throughout clean to remove all the chinese spyware before doing anything with it.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
What exactly did they patent here ? Surely it was not the device as a whole because there's nothing original about it ?
It's standard industry practice to patent the device you're looking into developing, as well as any inputs, mechanics, design solutions etc. In theory this prevents other companies from suing you for patent infringement. In practice... not so much, but it's still a good thing to do.

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's standard industry practice to patent the device you're looking into developing, as well as any inputs, mechanics, design solutions etc. In theory this prevents other companies from suing you for patent infringement. In practice... not so much, but it's still a good thing to do.
I think that in this case it's safe to assume that they are patenting it so sue other companies instead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb