Tencent is investing in PlatinumGames so that the developer can afford to self-publish its own games

5b4976668df94f2e7dcf4deda6ab8818.jpg

PlatinumGames, developers behind games such as Bayonetta, Nier, Astral Chain, and other renowned action games, is fed up with dealing with publishers. Last May, the company's CEO discussed PlatinumGames's issues with not being able to control their own IP's, with titles like The Wonderful 101 being stuck on the Nintendo Wii U, or SEGA standing in the way of future entries in franchises like Bayonetta or Vanquish. Platinum planned to change things, and move towards self-publishing their games in the future, following the release of Bayonetta 3, which is currently being published by Nintendo. It looks like the famed developer now has everything they need to self-publish, after receiving a capital investment from Tencent Holdings, a Chinese firm, and the largest gaming company in the world. Previously, they've invested in or owned shares of companies like Epic Games, Activision Blizzard, Riot Games, and Ubisoft. Platinum's CEO, Kenichi Sato, claims that PlatinumGames will remain independent and will continue their current operations as they have in the past, using the partnership in order to break into the self-publishing world, allowing for their games to reach a wider global audience.

:arrow: Source

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"ThIs PaRtNeRsHiP hAs No EfFeCt On ThE iNdEpEnDeNcE oF oUr CoMpAnY, aNd We WiLl CoNtInUe OpErAtIoNs UnDeR OuR cUrReNt CoRpOrAtE sTrUcTuRe."

Tencent, like most companies, wouldn't invest in anything unless they had something to gain. As great as PlatinumGames titles are (or were), I feel they're too small to provide any significant cash flow ROI for Tencent. They don't fit Tencent's MO. Unless they release the details of the investment (and they won't because LOL NDA's/"trade secrets" 4ever), I wouldn't trust the intended sentiment of their statement. It could very easily mean that Tencent currently has no "creative" input on their company and currently things will continue as normal, but not that they will stay that way for very long.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they get coerced to go full Epic Exclusive (not even timed) by Timmy Tencent and friends on further PC games/ports.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Goddamnit. I love Platinum, but Tencent is just a shell company for the Chinese government.

As long as that independence stays true. Otherwise, I rather have one of the big three just buy them.
Exactly, at this point Microsoft would've been a much better option and they would've let Platinum keep releasing their games on all platforms.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Controlling their own IPs has little to do with their decision. Think the more accurate reason is PlatinumGames wants more money.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how I feel about this.

why? in the 90s publishers only translated and localized games when a developer lack the time n resources to do it themselves. Mainly when bringing games over from west to east and vice-versa. i wish many developers would go back to self publishing and would only seeker others out when there are problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference