Tencent announces partnership with The Pokemon Company for a new game

International_Pokémon_logo.svg.png

The massive publishing giant, Tencent, has announced that they've struck a deal with Nintendo's The Pokemon Company in order to develop a Pokemon game. In an official blog post, Tencent clarified that its subsidiary, TiMi Studio Group would be working on the project, though there was no explanation as to what platform this possible game would release on, or if it would be a spinoff. Considering TiMi previously worked on Call of Duty Mobile, it wouldn't be too farfetched to guess that this collaboration will lead to yet another mobile Pokemon spinoff. This wouldn't be the first time Tencent and Nintendo, or one of its studios, has teamed up; earlier this year, we saw Tencent agree to help Nintendo distribute the Nintendo Switch to the Chinese market.

:arrow: Source

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's not super likely, but considering the size of China's mobile market and weird offerings like the ique in the past - I am really hoping they release a more traditional Pokemon RPG

I don't really think mobile is a good platform for that, but I want something interesting and not another puzzle game

Reactions: NoNAND

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... Call of Pokemon? I'd consider playing it
It's like rock band, except instead of singing nirvana songs you have to get the compression just right in lapras' cry

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Man people cry about benign shit but not the obvious stuff lol.
Tencent tends to be known as one of the absolute most pay to win mobile companies in existence. Their games are nothing but broken hopes and dreams snapping your spine over a gacha.

Though to be fair in recent years they seem to have shifted somewhat to making their games a bit more fair for consumers. I guess they realized you can milk a cow longer if you don't blow its brains out halfway through. Since they're such a massive company this tends to lead to high quality games. I dare say, i'm interested. A good pokemon mobile game would be nice. The rest are auto scroller shit or whatever that abomination pokemon go is.

Reactions: NoNAND and Kioku

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo don't own Pokemon
And TenCent doesn't own Epic.

It's a technicality. They are too effectively intertwined that such distinctions don't matter.

If they were to ever release a real Pokemon game (one of the same quality as any of the mainline games) on a non-Nintendo platform, that would prove me wrong. But they won't.

Reactions: AlexMCS

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nintendo don't own Pokemon
Yeah, IIRC they only own about 10% of The Pokemon Company.
They literally do own Pokemon though. An excerpt from Wikipedia:

You will never see a pokemon game on a competitor's console without Nintendo's express permission, as they are the sole owners of the trademark, and a third owner of the copyright.

Last edited by AbyssalMonkey,
Reactions: bobmcjr

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night