Temper Tantrums #32 - Classic Sony

Discussion in 'Temper Tantrums - The GBAtemp Webcomic' started by Costello, Mar 13, 2019.

1. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Sorry I wasn't explicitly clear about it. I hate when people* do things like list the price of something, ignoring that a large part of the actual cost to use a thing. I mean, I can "buy a computer on ebay for $4" if we ignore that a Core 2 Duo alone isn't a computer. Now, if there were some sort of project to use up all those excess Core 2 Duos (and other Intel CPUs)... :)

Anyways, like I was saying I specifically got the Raspberry Pi because my Super Retro Cade was insufficient. Specifically, trying to get smooth scrolling in SNES games with shaders/filters wasn't working. I've had similar difficulty on much more powerful laptops with Lakka--presumable their integrated graphics have issues. And then my main system has issues with smooth scrolling with Vulkan (Nvidia GTX 750 Ti) but is pretty much butter smooth with GL.

*sigh* It's a shame there's so little real focus on this. It's a lot more distracting to me than input lag because smooth scrolling == at least consistent input lag. That to me is the real killer aspect when it comes to emulation, and I do wish there was more focus on resolving it. It's funny that of all things I've had more issues with Vulkan than GL. At least with the Raspberry Pi I won't have to worry that driver updates will break things.

* Youtube is full of such people. I can excuse it some when people exclude the cost of a keyboard/mouse. It's a lot harder when people talk about their $10 find and ignore the $40 shipping.

Ericthegreat likes this.
  2. geodeath

geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2006
    London
    Seeing these kind of reports, i tried to put a few ps1 games on my Snes classic and all i can say is that the speed was not playable. Not sure if it was the particular game or not, but nowhere near 'better' for sure.

3. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    I guess it can be a bit hit and miss. R4 was the primary game used to showcase the comparison, with how poorly it ran on the PS1 Classic while it ran better on a Libretro PCSX ReArmed on the SNES Classic. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...one_games_better_than_the_playstation_classic

4. KEHT

KEHT Member

Newcomer
    Oct 6, 2010
    2019: Nintendo releases a Switch Mini: smaller screen, no detachable gimmicks, possibly better battery and of course no bluetooth.

5. YOUCANTSTOPME

YOUCANTSTOPME GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    EB Games in Canada is selling them for cad$50 (usd$38). At that price I picked one up, since it can be "hacked" so easily. Plus I like the idea of the USB controllers.

Can't believe how hard that thing flopped. All they had to do was add a few better heavy-hitting games like Tomb Raider and a Crash Bandicoot and it would've been pretty solid. Also apparently the North American versions internally run PAL games for some reason? Wtf?

Last edited by YOUCANTSTOPME, Mar 15, 2019
    Xabring likes this.
  6. Xabring

Xabring GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    Mexico
    Somewhere, Earth.
    Nailed it!

7. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    It was a mistake of a product, but very fun to hack just to piss off Sony.

8. YOUCANTSTOPME

YOUCANTSTOPME GBAtemp Regular

May 7, 2012
    Canada
    in yo mind
    I don't think they care if you hack it. They aren't losing money if you hack it, it's not like there's paid add-ons or DLC for it. Once you bought it, they got their money. It could even be considered a selling feature to them.

9. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot Your average GBAtemp fanboy

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Saw stacks of the PS1 Classic in the middle of the pathway at my electronic store recently, selling them for $40.
    Yet nobody bought them.

10. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    My theory is that sony didn't put any effort just cus they knew people/fans would hack it. More profit for them. Biggest piss on Sony would have been if no one had bought it and no one had hacked it.