Temper Tantrums #30 - Surprise Mii

Discussion in 'Temper Tantrums - The GBAtemp Webcomic' started by x65943, Feb 27, 2019.

Front-page
    Discussion (43 replies)
  1. XxShalevElimelechxX

XxShalevElimelechxX GBAtemp Fan

Mar 30, 2016
    Israel
    Nintendo better change the style of Link's awakening.

2. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Nope. They should leave it. Looks more endearing.

3. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Loving that toybox mockup of the Title Screen haha

JustANoob;), Memoir and x65943 like this.
  4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    X65's comic references have moved from Naoto to Kokichi. Truly, the sign of change for my avatar has set in.

CeeDee, RedoLane, grey72 and 3 others like this.
  5. Akira

Akira I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!

Apr 28, 2013
    United States
    You will all still play it regardless, lol

6. Johnton

Johnton GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2018
    Mexico
    Yep, pretty much.
    I actually liked the game for the Nostalgia factor... but the art-style looks so simple...

Kinda on purpose, as if the Switch couldn't handle more than that.
    I also disliked the blur on the edges of the screen :unsure:

x65943 likes this.
  7. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    That has been heavily the MO of Nintendo for a long time. The point is primarily to not simply look simple but be simple because such an art style tends to hold up over time. In comparison, the cutting edge almost always looks terrible by future standards--go back and look at the cutting edge graphic games and see how many still hold up today. It is, honestly, the most rational thing to take the timeless things like the simple art of the toybox and to project your latest creation in it. You are literally designing your work to be timeless.

x65943, DeoNaught, ShinAbo and 3 others like this.
  8. Johnton

Johnton GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2018
    Mexico
    Completely agreed, but maybe they could've made it look a bit more realistic.
    Although this is my personal taste and opinion.
    I think that, since the Wii U, Nintendo has been relying on "Shaders and Filters" to make their games look "HD-ish" wich is not my taste. They coul've aimed for something more like A Link Between Wordls style.
    The art-style of Zelda Link's Awakening could be good for a portable console, like the 3DS, but for Switch I don't think so.
    Unless... they have a surprise for us:
    "Toy like graphics in handheld mode"
    "Put your swith in it's dock for glorious 720 semi-realistic graphics" (something like Zelda 3DS or Majoras 3DS could've been perfect)

x65943 likes this.
  9. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Yea, well to each their own. But, mentioning this reminds me of Inafune and Mega Man 9 character design. I think in many ways it's true when he says, 'The previous robot masters would be good models too, but I think if I let them just design whatever they wanted as normal, there’d be a tendency to create designs that are too elaborate and overdone. Naturally this would lead to robot masters that don’t have that “Mega Man” feel.' I think the same could be mostly said about Zelda (not always, of course, but generally).

I don't have a Wii U, and I haven't jumped on the HD bandwagon. I think that honestly it's not a road Nintendo should go down with rare exception--remakes like Star Fox 64 were very good, but slapping on a coat of HD paint for Wind Waker was unnecessary.

Funny you say that because the art style actually reminds me of A Link Between Worlds more than most other Zelda titles.

That'd be interesting as far as a light/dark mode sort of thing, but I imagine outside of a game gimmick (which would likely be very annoying) that it'd just be a bad idea. And what you say makes me wonder what you're really looking for in "semi-realistic graphics". I've never played Twilight Princess, but various parts of it that I've seen remind me of a bad tron rip-off or some mid-90s or mid-00s (not sure which) idea of cyberspace. Some of that's carried over to Breath of the Wild. It's the sort of thing that will age badly.

Anyways, that's my general opinion about things. If you have some examples of art that you're referring to that'd qualify to you as semi-realistic that you think would age well? Then I'd be interested.

x65943 likes this.
  10. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Kind of strange to me that people like the ALBW style, but not this one and not just here that I seen that.

Also, iirc, people were hating on A Link Between Worlds art style too.

Memoir and x65943 like this.
  11. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    I don't understand...

x65943 likes this.
  12. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    there is a controversy about the graphical style of the Links Awakening remake, look it up

Noctosphere and x65943 like this.
  13. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I find it pretty fitting personally.
    It's a surreal world, in a dream, which is perfect for the game setting.

lexarvn, Memoir, Noctosphere and 2 others like this.
  14. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The aesthetic for this is gonna be another one of those things where people either love it or hate it, much like Windwaker. I think it'll sell really well regardless.

IssMare, lexarvn and x65943 like this.
  15. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    lol that batman mii totally existed to

x65943 likes this.
  16. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    Sorry, I don't get it

x65943 likes this.
  17. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    there is a controversy about the graphical style of the Links Awakening remake, look it up

PS: if you looked at the comments maybe you would?

x65943 and Subtle Demise like this.
  18. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Always liked Miis. Sadly Nintendo gave up on them. I know that most of you did as well.
    I remember missing on a few university days back in 2008, sitting at home and creating stupid Miis of Mr. Burns, Peter Griffin and Kenny from South Park.
    My friends and me had so much fun playing games like Wii Party and Wii Party U where random Miis of those I created appeared everywhere at anytime.
    Also every friend had a Mii on my Wii/Wii U to play with. If only Mario Tennis Aces and Super Mario Party had Mii Support, I'd be satisfied.

I was holding my hopes up when Go Vacation was announced for the Switch (as that game had Mii support on the Wii). Turned out they completely f*cked it up.
    Every player who wanted to use a Mii had to create a user account with that Mii on my Switch first, I mean ... seriously?!
    If they could pick one of those ugly Go Vacation avatars, why not one of the console's Miis without creating an account first?

[​IMG]

x65943 likes this.
  19. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    >notices Kokichi

OH! IT'S A LIE!

x65943 likes this.