Tempcast: the GBAtemp Podcast, Episode 3!

Timo710

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think there's a happy medium in the editing process. If there's any long gaps, yeah, they should be removed, but the "ums" can't really be edited out easily without the flow of the sentence sounding choppy. I'm pretty sure the "ums" will diminish naturally as the show matures. I too like the unpolished feel of the show and with time the hosts will become more accustomed to each other and things will speed up. Also, re-takes are fine in small doses, but spontaneity is more fun.

Don't get me wrong, a little polish ain't a bad thing, and some people prefer a more polished show. My favorite podcasts however, are fairly stark. Cheap Ass Gamer and Weekly Geek are good examples of good unpolished shows.

Volume levels are a different story. I can't stand it when everyone's voice is at different levels. Compression FTW!

Oh, and yeah, more homebrew, less dogz & poniez.
biggrin.gif
I agree with you, on a certain level, however there where silent moments and moments where theyd be like: Uhm, yeah, uh, now minni is supposed to say something.

I'm not sure, but last podcast was about 77 minutes right? thats really to long for a podcast. At least for me.

Also for me, GBAtemp is like the most proffesional nintendo-scene website I know. Although it also is full of great members with humor, the podcast should have that same fine line of quality + humor. I think I would like an podcast best if it would stay under 30 minutes!

Also if you guys need any help in MP3 conversion (like making it a VBR MP3, which gives the best quality with a smaller file size) and other stuff, I am more then happy to help you guys out! Also I have the right technique to get noise out, without killing the sound quality.

In my oppinion I think you guys should take the podcast proffesional, but still with fun in it. I mean, just the way the website is proffesional, with a good sense of humor added in the mix. A podcast should reflect the website its affiliated to!

All of this is what I would like in a podcast, however, this is my oppinion, there are people who like it in a total different way then me.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When is the next one BTW? I need my mthrnite fix
We started recording last night but Spikey died suddenly near the end so we're gonna have to do the rest tonight hopefully, you'll have to hear what Little says on this! I think she was drunk or something she was kinda crazy, will please a lot of her fans.
wink.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I've finished the second Go Ask Yer mthr (decided to call it that) this morning, and submitted it to Spikey.

I really must disagree about the length of the show. I like it long. I think the standard should be one hour, and go short or long from there. If the show is going to be relaxed discussion, then the casters shouldn't have to rush through everything. If you want a stiff short show, then script every single word and edit the living hell out of it. Personally I hope they don't have to go that route. I like the sittin' around talking feel it's got now.

Osaka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've finished the second Go Ask Yer mthr (decided to call it that) this morning, and submitted it to Spikey.

I really must disagree about the length of the show. I like it long. I think the standard should be one hour, and go short or long from there. If the show is going to be relaxed discussion, then the casters shouldn't have to rush through everything. If you want a stiff short show, then script every single word and edit the living hell out of it. Personally I hope they don't have to go that route. I like the sittin' around talking feel it's got now.
I agree as well. I really like how long the last one was. I think it would be boring and not as fun if it was rushed and scripted and just unreal feeling.

Pamela

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
click.linksynergy.com
XP
Country
United States
I agree as well. I like the show being an hour or so, I find it entertaining so I would want to listen to more than 30 minutes of it, especially if it only comes out every 2 weeks or whenever.

two40

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
first of all, well done and thank you for the effort of producing a podcast. i'm a big podcast nerd and have heard many in my time. the best ones are almost always ones that mix in humour with good quality news. too much of one or the other and the listener gets bored.

building a rapport takes a bit of time. i love picking up a new cast at around episode 20+ when the presenters are familiar with themselves and it is instantly engaging because they play off each other very well.

length wise, i prefer the longer the better. some will dissagree but when you're on a good thing you can't get enough of it. an hour long cast seems like minutes once you have that rapport. anything below 30 min is much like a quicky. fun yes, but never enough.

segments. it's always good to experiment with new segments but stick with what your audience wants. there is so much you can do here. thread of the week where you discuss the, err discussion. point out an interesting topic that deserves a look. not everyone can keep up with all the threads within your community. throw in a bit of history about your community. it's always interesting to hear about how you got here and what happend when the database was lost that weekend and admins had to scramble to fix it etc. bit of backstory helps noobs like me appreciate the how why when who and what of this place. question of the week maybe? have little contests with questions that relate to the site and games. bit of trivia gets everyone involved which is great. feels more interactive instead of you talk we listen ~fin. the what are we (casters) playing this week. the game of the week. the old school rom of the week etc etc. im sure you have your ideas.

professionalism. if i may, f#$% it. you're not on a commercial radio station and you don't have sponsors to please. the pro podcasts tend to feel inorganic to me. they have no personality. i've listened to so many episodes where the casters wonder off in some weird convo string but it's all good because they're showing a side of themselves which is interesting. talk about your favourite TV shows or a movie you watched on the weekend. whatever. obviously too much of this is no good but maybe starting out the cast with a bit of 'hey how are you what did you get up to on the weekend' wouldn't be such a bad thing. you would hope over time your audience will want to hear about you because you interest them.

humour. you can never have enough unless it's bad humour. you know, the cheezy playground shite that gets flung around. sex references and such. as i said above, you need humour mixed in with news and info. often, the best kind is left on the cutting room floor so to speak. include all those crack up mistakes at the end of the cast. the more the merrier. you've finished with your job and if a listener wants to switch off they can but often the mistakes you leave out are extremely entertaining and reveal a lot about you.

anyway, thanks for the effort and good luck with future episodes.
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)