Telltale Games' titles will soon be removed from GOG, Tales from the Borderlands delisted on Steam

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 23, 2019.

1. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

2. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    no it means they are safe and sound on my backup hdd and i can play them anytime i want

the_randomizer likes this.
  3. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I was being facetious. Screw companies who pull this shit, I hope their games are pirated ad infinitum.

Bladexdsl likes this.
  4. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    i know marvel rights end fast, i remenber deadpool game being pulled from stores because license ended( they eventauly payed again and made more deadpool prints and even a ps4 version) and marvel ultimate alliance 2 dlc was only up for like 7 days on psn shop becuase the license ended and such, so yeah licensed products cost money so if they dont pay they lose the right to sell them.

Last edited by pedro702, May 23, 2019
  5. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Really? I remember them being a cartoon on fox kids, co-produced by Saban Entertainment. Series got cancelled when Disney bought SE.

6. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot A Nintendo DSi-madman (and yet he doesn’t code)

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Strong Bad's Cool Game for attactive people: [Cannot be purchased from GOG or Steam]
    That Wii Repository: It's free real estate.

7. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    so disney owns snm now?

8. shano

shano GBAtemp Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Australia
    Lucasarts did the original Sam & Max: Hit the Road game on PC which was fantastic.

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    i wonder how long before they pop up as an epic game store exclusive

Ryccardo likes this.
  10. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    They tried to do more than one game at once and started to depend on cheap credit.

Then the Fed started to raise rates and a few games for cancelled and so bankruptcy.

Last edited by raxadian, May 23, 2019
  11. Roamin64

Roamin64 GBAtemp Regular

May 24, 2007
    Canada
    I bought 2 games from tell tale over the years, back to the future and monkey Island. I can't even play their proper release of monkey Island because the game hangs before you finish act 1. Downloaded the cracked version, and that one works fine.. I'm blaming their stupid DRM.

12. reddragon105

reddragon105 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2008
    As always when these things happen it needs to be heavily emphasised that a game being delisted from a digital store DOES NOT mean that you will no longer be able to play it. If you already own it on Steam or GOG, you will still be able to download/re-download and play the games. If you don't already own them, you have until they're delisted to buy them. It's not an excuse to pirate them - although who knows where your money is going at this point.

Not at all - it was a series of comics created by Steve Purcell, and the first video game in the series was made by LucasArts.

You mean back when the company was still in business and could have done with your money? Yeah, I'm sure that is a good thing. :teach:

What companies pulling what shit? I don't think it's fair to say that Telltale deserve to have their games pirated, because it's not like they went out of business on purpose, although I'm pretty sure the games are being delisted due to licensing rights expiring, so if any company is pulling any shit it's the rights holders who license their properties out with incredibly restrictive terms, like really short time periods, because that has resulted in the delisting of many games (a few Lord of the Rings and Warhammer games come to mind) and sometimes it can happen because of a single song on the soundtrack. But I bet if Telltale were still in business they would have been able to renew the rights, because it would be in everyone's best interests to keep selling the games, so it's a combination of factors. I don't know who owns the rights to the games now but when everything has settled maybe the rights can be renewed and the games can go back on sale.

Garro, Jonna and CallmeBerto like this.
  13. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Don't hold your breath, licensing is a joke.

14. Bladexdsl

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    i only buy pc games when i need to like if they have mods that you can only get on the steam workshop. for instance civ VI and cities skylines i bought both of them :P

Last edited by Bladexdsl, May 23, 2019
  15. spanner

spanner GBAtemp Regular

Jan 25, 2008
    United Kingdom
    London,UK
    What about on Playstation Network, I have 3 games on disc for PS4 and they are a season pass disc,where they only have Ep1 on the disc,Batman,Back To the Future The Game 30th Anniversary(one of the best games they made) and The Walking Dead The Game Season 3,theses games will be obsolete soon.
    All ok on PS4 at the moment.. :)

Have to have a go on BTTFTG Again... :) I have it on PC DVD too.

Its funny hearing the voices on BTTFTG cos you can hear that some of them are in TWDTG season 1.

Last edited by spanner, May 23, 2019
  16. Darksabre72

Darksabre72 Blue Falcon

Nov 26, 2016
    United States
    sure to console players, but pc players piracy might be the only option

17. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Everyone should own a PS4 anyway :D

18. reddragon105

reddragon105 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 10, 2008
    You can pirate Steam Workshop mods...

19. bandithedoge

bandithedoge GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2018
    Poland
    +1 for piracy I guess

20. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    That's not how it works, though. Licensing and copyright is a good thing. They just should have aimed for a broader period. This stuff happens, but characters, properties and other material usually involve a lot of work. So, it makes sense to keep them tied to the creator or owners. I agree they can suck (Looking at you Pitchford you piece of sh....) but if they didn't exist where would we be? Don't say a better place..

Jonna likes this.