Tell me some cool things to do with my new PSP

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by G0R3Z, Dec 7, 2015.

1. G0R3Z
    OP

G0R3Z Just Can't Be Bothered

Aug 12, 2014
    I just bought a PSP 3000 model for about £20, pretty good deal. It all works (except for a couple of case bits are chipped and it's scuffed, I'll get a complete shell replacement) and I applied the 6.60 PRO hack, but it's a temp hack as the 3000 I don't think can be perma hacked, unless people can tell me otherwise.

What are some cool things I can do? Emulators and such obviously, any cool homebrew or other apps that I should try out? I've literally just looked and I was overloaded by how big the PSP hacking scene is.

2. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    Downgrade to 6.20 and CIPL flash it for a perma CFW.
    There are a great deal of games for the psp, Mario War and CSPSP are great so you could start with that (idk if qj still hosts homebrew for the psp if it does it's a great place to get a load of homebrew apps/emus/games)

3. G0R3Z
    OP

Aug 12, 2014
    How do you downgrade it? Can you link me a guide?

4. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    All you need is to find the 6.20 firmware for your device install it through the time machine application.
    I'll find a guide for you when I get home.

Last edited by _v3, Dec 7, 2015
  5. G0R3Z
    OP

Aug 12, 2014
    A few guides say that application isn't compatible with PSP 3000 models.

6. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    Try using this, it supports most PSP 3000 models (make sure you read through the tutorial atleast once before attempting the downgrade, the process is relatively safe but it you're not careful it could result in a brick).

7. G0R3Z
    OP

Aug 12, 2014
    That'd allow me to downgrade to 6.20, then can I use a permanent 6.60 CFW or am I stuck with using permanent 6.20 CFW? What can 6.60 do that 6.20 can't?

8. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    Personally I'd stick on 6.60 temp. THe vast majority of the time you never shut down the PSP anyway you just put it into sleep mode (the PSP is astounding in sleep mode. The battery won't hardly drop at all, even days after putting it to sleep).

I could be wrong here (as its been a while since I updated mine with anything) but I thought 6.20 had issues with some PSN PSX titles (again, this MAY have changed now, I dont know).

But yeah, grab hold of a couple of Micro SD cards, and a Dual Micro SD card reader and you're good to go. PSP, PSX games. Emulators are hit and miss on the PSP, but certainly anything 8 bit is perfect. So Master System, NES, Game Gear, Gameboy, Gameboy Color all play perfectly with the 3000. Neo Geo is close to perfect as well. SNES and GBA are a bit more spotty with slowdowns and frameskips needed in a lot of cases so I personally don't bother with that.

Shoutcast is still supported also with PSPRadio which is great.

If you are going to have a lot of stuff on your PSP then the Categories plugin is a god send as well as it allows you to split up your homebrew and apps any way you see fit (which keeps the UI nice and snappy, as a lot of games or apps in one list can slow the PSP down somewhat.)

I've had my 3000 for ages now, and coupled with 256GB of storage, its still my go to device for a quick fix as there is almost a never ending amount of stuff to do on it.

wormdood and cvskid like this.
  9. G0R3Z
    OP

Aug 12, 2014
    Is it recommended to go online with it at all?

10. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    if you want to
    all i ever use my cfw psp for is ps1 games so i never have but my cousin has on his cfw psp

11. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    About the not turning off the psp part, what if you have bad psp batteries? Where would you go to find a good replacement psp battery?

12. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    cvskid likes this.
  13. MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan The Funky Super Saiyan

GBAtemp Patron
    MajinCubyan is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 24, 2014
    United States
    Orre
    As far as homebrew goes, I love Super Mini Mario, Powder and Super Mario War.

14. dekuleon

dekuleon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    dekuleon is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 1, 2010
    Brazil
    where the wind makes the curve
    I had a 3000 and downgraded it using the "time machine" to 6.20, this is below the firmware that came from factory, to use the perma patch.

MajinCubyan likes this.
  15. andremario81

andremario81 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    Chicago, Illinois
    Gpsp the Game Boy Advance emulator runs great for me. No slowdown or bugs. It's pretty darn accurate. The space shooter tyrian is good on it as well as e (mulator) 0.82f which emulates pc engine (turbografx16), master system, nes, neogeo pocket,wonderswan and Game Boy color pretty well. The n64 emulator kinda sucks as most games have trouble running decent on it. If u also want to rip your psp umds then don't forget isotool as well.

16. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Someone had already mentioned this, but these are the friggin bomb.

Get all the sweet hidden gems of the PSP era! Dissidia, Half Minute Hero, Patapon... I could go for ages.

andremario81 and MajinCubyan like this.
  17. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    I'm pretty sure there's a perma patch for LME CFW for the PSP 3000.

18. MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan The Funky Super Saiyan

GBAtemp Patron
    MajinCubyan is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 24, 2014
    United States
    Orre
    Mmmmm, such good games. I have 135 hours in Dissidia 012.

AND THATS ON SALE!? I have a 2000 sittin around, I know what I'm about to buy.

BORTZ likes this.
  19. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I bought Dissidia immediately when I get a Vita, the dual analog is helpful for camera controls.
    OP I wish I had more to add, but I never really got into plug-ins or anything. If you dont have a phone, you can totally use your PSP for music and movies.

20. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    I've been lucky so far. I picked up the 2200mah official extended battery about 6 months ago that still holds a full charge, so about 9 hours in one sitting on the 3000. I imagine that any kind of 3rd party battery is going to be hit and miss regarding quality

Last edited by kristianity77, Dec 7, 2015