Tell me about GBA and the Supercard

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by evanft, Sep 27, 2008.

Sep 27, 2008
  1. evanft
    OP

Newcomer evanft Member

United States
    So I'm looking to get into GBA with my SCDS1 SDHC. I know I need something like the EZ 3-in-1 so I can pass the games from slot 1 to slot 2, along with GBA Exploder (or whatever it's called). I still have a few questions:

1. Will my game saves be saved onto the MicroSD card in slot 1, or onto a battery on the 3-in-1?

2. Will I have save-state capability?

3. If the answers to either of the first 2 questions is yes, would using GBA Exploder or the EZ tools be better, assuming I'm going with the EZ 3-in-1.

4. Does the EZ work with the phat DS?

5. If either of the answers to the first 2 questions above is no, is there a cart for slot 2 that, similar to my Supercard, uses MicroSD, saves games to the MicroSD, and has save states? I wouldn't need a big MicroSD card for all my GBA roms, probably less than 512 MB, so there wouldn't be much cost involved there.

Thank you.

2. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    1. Onto battery until manually exported into a file with ExpLoader.

2. No, the EZ is just like a regular GBA cart which saves exclusively on SRAM and has no REALTIME CLOCK. No other extra functionality is available on it for GBA games so no realtime save.

3. I have not used EZ Tools but 99% of people use ExpLoader because it is easy to use.

4. Depends on the type of EZflash. Both the NDS Lite sized one and the GBA sized have the exact same functionality. The Lite version does NOT fit into a DS phat or GBA but it CAN be made to fit by taking its circuit board out and putting it into a GBA game's case. If I recall well Gameyeeeah is the cheapest place to buy GBA sized EZflashes, DealExtreme sells Lites only.

5. I believe there is. There are the flashcarts from back in the GBA days and I think some models are still being sold. Also Supercard SD are slot-2 DS flashcarts which can play both NDS and GBA games but all such DS-generation flashcarts have had buggy support so I do not recommend. ExpLoader would allow you to keep multiple saves but not to realtime save, is it that important?

You're welcome.

3. Eon-Rider

Member Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    DX recently started to sell GBA cartridge sized ones.

4. Searinox

Romania
  5. evanft
    OP

Newcomer evanft Member

United States
    I would like RTS, absolutely, but not at the cost of reliability or compatibility.

6. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    Awesome =D Getting one for my GBA SP right now =D

7. evanft
    OP

Newcomer evanft Member

United States
    Just so I'm clear: The EZ will allow me to play GBA games and move the saves over to my MicroSD card?

8. Searinox

Romania
    Save is always asked before being loaded, but you just press A lots and get it done. [​IMG] You ONLY need to copy the save off the microSD when you're CHANGING the game that's on the card. The savefile remains on the EZ so you can take it and put it in a GBA without fearing you'll need to drag your microSD everywhere.

And to answer your last post: yes. Hell you can even use SAV files directly from an emulator or ripped off an original game cart it's very flexible. Just remember some games, about half of 'em, need to be SRAM-patched with GBATA(downloadable on GBAtemp) or they won't save at all. ExpLoader does the job on its own but I've had failiures with it.

9. evanft
    OP

Newcomer evanft Member

United States
    Ordered the phat version from DealExtreme. Is there a list of games somewhere that shows which need to be patched?

10. Searinox

Romania
    No there is no list. You'll have to try each in GBATA it tells you which need patching. Again you can just dump the ROMs to your memory and let ExpLoader patch them by itself, who knows you might not have the issue I had.